New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: Newcomer
Posted by: Sarah B (---.cable.ubr06.dudl.blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: May 04, 2003 10:50AM

Made for over 100 years? I'm surprised they sell any, if it takes that long to make...

Hello crrbllsweetie I don't think I've welcomed you yet. I don't suppose you have a name that's easier to type? Or an abbreviation? I commonly get struck down with the myspelling vyrus so the simpler the better really...

How did you know about the building sites PSD? Sand in places it shouldn't be? ;)

--------------

There's a hole in my creativity bucket and it's all leaked out.

Posted by: Andrea (81.152.255.---)
Date: May 04, 2003 11:15AM

smells nice on mixing day though I've never tasted it

I used to live over the roundabout from there, and down the road, and round the corner too to think of it...

am miles away now

Posted by: Magda (---.dialip.mich.net)
Date: May 04, 2003 02:58PM

BTW, I don't think I mentioned where I'm from when I posted earlier...

I'm in the States (USA), more specifically in Michigan (the state on the border with Canada, that's surrounded by huge lakes and shaped like a mitten).

I was lucky enough to meet Jasper last month (as was AAC) during his US book tour, which was great fun. There are threads about it (some with pictures) further down the page (or by now more likely on one of the "older messages" pages).

Oh, and I've been a Fforde Ffan since a friend lent me The Eyre Affair to read last September. I was sufficiently impressed that once I found out the next book was already out in Britian, I ordered it by mail immediately. Worked nicely, since I was then able to lend it to the chap who had lent me TEA in the first place.

--------------
"I've often said that the difference between British and American SF TV series is that the British ones have three-dimensional characters and cardboard spaceships, while the Americans do it the other way around."
--Ross Smith

Posted by: crrbllsweetie (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: May 04, 2003 09:56PM

Ahh, Michigan, the "mitten state..." Now I'm going to have to start calling my Michiganese friend Mighty Mitten Girl! Seriously, Magda, I bet the Brits here don't know the location of Mich, cuz I sure have zero idea where Yorkshire is. Then again, I'm an arrogant American.

Sarah and all y'all-
Call me whateva you want. Emma works.

- Currer Bell (whose real name is Emma)

----------------------------------------------------------------
Revolt! Revolt! No matter why or when,
It's novelty--old novelty again.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.dalect01.va.comcast.net)
Date: May 04, 2003 10:03PM

gee, and I thought Currer Bell's real name was Charlotte... <wink>

Posted by: crrbllsweetie (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: May 04, 2003 10:11PM

o gee, you blew my cover!

----------------------------------------------------------------
Revolt! Revolt! No matter why or when,
It's novelty--old novelty again.

Posted by: Skiffle (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: May 05, 2003 12:37AM

Andrea: the roundabout next to the Henderson's Relish factory is a bit different now. It has a tunnel underneath for the trams to go through. Sheffield trams are cool.

Posted by: Andrea (---.range81-152.btcentralplus.com)
Date: May 05, 2003 08:58AM

Oh Boy and don't I know

I lived in the flats there when they were building it, we had diggers digging 24 hours a day 7 days a week for weeks, pictures fell off the wall, my daughters toys rattled on the windowsills.

We moved before they finally got it working, now I live near a train station and get into town almost as quick as I did from there.

Date: May 05, 2003 09:25PM

Emma is good.

And I know where Michagan is! It's north of Texas!

(Yeah well, I never was all that good at geography)

--------------

Posted by: Magda (---.med.umich.edu)
Date: May 05, 2003 10:13PM

Why yes, it is north of Texas. Of course, so is 3/4 of the country....

Actually, living in Michigan is nice, since I can pick it out easily on a globe even when there are no borders. It's conveniently mostly surrounded by the Great Lakes.

Of course, one can find Britian on a map the same way. Being surrounded by water can be handy that way.

--------------
&quot;I've often said that the difference between British and American SF TV series is that the British ones have three-dimensional characters and cardboard spaceships, while the Americans do it the other way around.&quot;
--Ross Smith

Posted by: Sarah B (---.dudley.gov.uk)
Date: May 06, 2003 04:59PM

Yup, certainly. It's harder to point out a specific county on Britain on a world map though than it is an American state. They're all so very tiny...

--------------

Posted by: Andrea (---.range81-152.btcentralplus.com)
Date: May 06, 2003 05:02PM

Yorkshire is easy
it's bang in the middle

---
Sylvester says.... *plock*

actually he says peep, cheep, chirrup, squalk,muttermuttergrumblegrumble, oh and now he falls off his pirch whish is followed by a sheepish peek round to see if anyone was looking and a quick scramble back up

Posted by: Sarah B (---.dudley.gov.uk)
Date: May 06, 2003 05:05PM

So where's Birmingham?

Right in the middle.

lol

--------------

Posted by: Rob (---.leeds.ac.uk)
Date: May 06, 2003 05:21PM

Left of the middle surely... (West Midlands)

I suspect Andrea was talking about Yorkshire being the centre of the Universe - as all right minded people know !

Posted by: dante (---.thls.bbc.co.uk)
Date: May 06, 2003 05:26PM

I can spot Scotland....I can actually spot my town, cos it's an ickle sticky outy nose thing. Hah.

:--

Do something pretty while you can...

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: May 06, 2003 07:18PM

'Lo folks! Thought I would join the spate of newcomers and introduce myself... clairet; live in Edinburgh; currently without management (cat); Originally from Oz (where cat still resides)...:-)

Posted by: Sarah (---.vip.uk.com)
Date: May 06, 2003 07:26PM

Hi Clairet, and welcome to the Fforum! Sorry about the cat. :-(

..........................................................................................

That which does not kill us makes us stranger.
(Llewelyn the dragon, Ozy and Millie)

Sarah

Date: May 06, 2003 09:12PM

Yes, but Birmingham is the middle of the left of the middle. <clutches head> Correct me if I'm wrong, Ben!

Hello Clairet. Welcome to the mad house!

--------------

Posted by: Rob (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: May 06, 2003 10:05PM

Aye. I'll give you that. (Although why you think asking Ben for confirmation will lend credence to your story I'll never know !)

BTW: Hi Clairet.

Spotting Leeds is also quite easy. London (Thames estuary between Essex and Kent) and Edinburgh (Firth of Forth). Draw a straight line between the two and Leeds is exactly halfway.

Probably as informative to Brits as anyone else. The number of people who think Leeds is next to Edinburgh is incredible - although they were largely Cambridge oiks whose ignorance is amazing.

Date: May 06, 2003 10:35PM

Because... Ben lives there?

Um, otherwise I'm stuck. I must have been having a moment. ;)

--------------

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.