New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5
White Horse future outing?
Posted by: belochka (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: May 28, 2003 09:42PM

Hi, being somewhat new at this fforum I've nerved myself up to asking this, would anyone be interested in an outing sometime to White Horse Hill at Uffington?

I've lived in Oxfordshire for three years but I've neglected visiting this landmark even though its about a 20 minute drive away. Now I've read Mr. Fforde's fine works I have the impetus to go, so I wondered if anyone else would like to view some of Oxfordshire's countryside (and the scenic cooling towers of Didcot)? I'd be happy to find pubs, other places of interest to visit etc.

B

Re: White Horse future outing?
Posted by: Andrea (---.range81-152.btcentralplus.com)
Date: May 28, 2003 09:55PM

sounds great (says she who has no idea about geography)

where is it?

top middle bottom?

where top is scotland
middle is here (sheffield)
bottom is brighton-bournmouth

---
Sylvester says.... *plock*

actually he says peep, cheep, chirrup, squalk,muttermuttergrumblegrumble, oh and now he falls off his pirch whish is followed by a sheepish peek round to see if anyone was looking and a quick scramble back up

Date: May 28, 2003 10:28PM

I think it would be the upper middle bit between Sheffield and Brighton-Bournemouth. having looked at the handy AA route planner, by car its 141 miles to central Oxford and then it's about another 20 miles to the White Horse. So overall its a 3 hour journey.

Of course you can take a train to central Oxford and then I could sort out a pick up point at the station to get to a pub and the White Horse.

B

Posted by: fuzz (---.cable.ubr05.na.blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: May 28, 2003 10:35PM

I like the idea, but I'm doing exams for the next few weeks, how does late june/early july sound for a southerners fforum meetup?

Date: May 28, 2003 10:41PM

Late June or early July would be fine. I wouldn't be able to do mid-July because annual hols get in the way:) Otherwise all schedules are free at this end, even if anyone wanted to wander about in rainy winter time LOL

B

Posted by: Sarah (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: May 28, 2003 10:42PM

Actually I might be able to get there myself; I have a sister in Southam (Warwickshire - pretty much midway between Oxford and Stratford) and a friend in Oxford, so I might well be able to arrange somewhere to stay, as long as it's a weekend.

..........................................................................................

That which does not kill us makes us stranger.
(Llewelyn the dragon, Ozy and Millie)

Sarah

Posted by: Magda (---.med.umich.edu)
Date: May 28, 2003 10:54PM

I'm sadly much too far away, but offer the following advice.

If you decide to have a picnic, remember to bring your entroposcopes, and shake them often.

--------------
"I've often said that the difference between British and American SF TV series is that the British ones have three-dimensional characters and cardboard spaceships, while the Americans do it the other way around."
--Ross Smith

Date: May 28, 2003 10:54PM

Weekends are best, its possible for me to do a weekday if necessary. But I have better access to my resident driver at the weekend lol.

I have a full and varied selection of beans and lentils at the ready!

B

Post Edited (05-28-03 23:55)

Posted by: poetscientistdrinker (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: May 28, 2003 11:45PM

Oxfordshire's pretty good for me, but I'm being dragged surfing by my sister at some stage, and not sure when, so it may clash.

PSD

==========

This is the work of an Italian narco-anarchic collective. Don't bother insulting them, they can't read English anyway.

Date: May 29, 2003 12:00AM

As no date is definitely certain, as yet, if there isn't an option that fits for people during the family/abroad/at home/ fully booked high season, it could be added in whenever its suitable.

I don't think the White Horse will mind, its survived the Countryside Alliance and Channel 4's advertising campaign so far ;)

B

Posted by: Skiffle (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: May 29, 2003 12:45AM

I'd love to see the white horse of Uffington; I think it's beautiful. Unfortunately, I don't think I can make the trip, unless I can find somewhere to stay overnight for free. It's just that bit *too* far for a one-day trip, as I get tired rather easily.

Posted by: Auntysassy (193.132.206.---)
Date: May 29, 2003 08:39AM

Belochka - what a great idea! Sort of up the A34 for me so great and a weekend makes it all the better.

Date wise - whenever.

Date: May 29, 2003 08:45AM

It is a bit of a haul for a one day trip if you're further north than Birmingham. I'd love to have made the Haworth visit but a similar problem, long day out and no-one to look after the cats, which would mean some very annoyed and ravenous felines on our return!

B

Posted by: Rob (---.leeds.ac.uk)
Date: May 29, 2003 09:28AM

Sounds like a grand plan. I'd probably have to find some unsuspecting guests to crash with as it's a bit of a drive from Leeds. Should be OK though unless I'm away on hols etc. It would really have to be a weekend what with having to work and whatnot...

Date: May 29, 2003 10:03AM

Okay, I've got some idea for dates - these are all weekends. Please let me know which one you think is best or easiest to do:

21st-22nd June (Fuzz: Is this date too early for your exams to be over?)

28th-29th June

5th-6th July

12th-13th July

I forgot to say earlier, if anyone has any questions or suggestions please feel free to email me :)

B

Posted by: adam (195.8.190.---)
Date: May 29, 2003 10:35AM

Given that I'm getting married in July I may be a tad unavailable for this one - maybe the next one.

Posted by: Rob (---.leeds.ac.uk)
Date: May 29, 2003 11:08AM

I can't make 22 June. I think the other dates are OK.

Posted by: Guy (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: May 29, 2003 11:12AM

What a fantastic idea.

Any of those dates would be fine for me . . . except 28th June, but 29th would be ideal, as I'm in the area for a wedding on 28th.

We could have an amble down to the bottom of the hill to visit the Wayland Smithy too -- it's a rather impressive bronze age tomb (or late stone age?), about 15 mins walk from the horse.

If I remember rightly the nearest station to Uffington is actually Swindon (though it's not much further to Oxford) and there are buses from Swindon to Uffington, so it shouldn't be too hard for people to get there even if we run out of space in cars

Jesus saves; Buddha does incremental backup.

Date: May 29, 2003 11:51AM

I'm so good at this planning lark, I hadn't given proper thought on how everyone would be getting there, sorry folks.

How many will be using public transport? I was planning on getting there by car, I'd like to be able to offer lifts but my husband has a liking for two seaters so it would be a bit cramped.

My original thought was to meet at the Hill itself, but would it be better to go to a pub first for refreshments?

I think that a walk to see Waylands Smithy is a great idea, I'd really like to see it too.

Btw, Adam, sorry that you can't make it this time but I hope that you have a splendid wedding and all the best on the day!

Post Edited (05-29-03 13:57)

Posted by: fuzz (---.cable.ubr05.na.blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: May 29, 2003 12:46PM

Right, exams finish 17th June (Yay!), and the 6th is out, but after that I have access to a car coming from Cheltenham way if that helps anyone, should be around 3 places free in the car. Before that any weekend is fine but I can't help with transport then unfourtunatly.

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.