New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: Previous12345
Current Page: 5 of 5
Re: Party?
Posted by: Simon (---.lancing.org.uk)
Date: June 06, 2003 08:12AM

Skiffle _ So, how do you feel about designing 'Ankh-Morpork Junta' for us?

"This was willed where what is willed... can get rather silly."

Date: June 06, 2003 08:29AM

More on 'Ankh-Morpork Monopoly'...

Amend the text for the 'Tavern Brawl' card again, by adding "If you do not own any taverns but you are at the same location as a tavern owned by somebody else then you may (although you don't have to...) destroy that one."

The 'Kwesta Maladetta!!!' card should be left out of the 'The Lady' deck until this is being reshuffled after it's already been gone through once: This gives the players a chance to accumulate some funds before assuming the responsibility, and simulates the fact that the Opera House didn't appear in the earlier books...

I think that the players need more income. Maybe when somebody lands on a space which they already control they should collect rent from it?
(Alternatively...) In a society like Ankh-Morpork's the major landowners & old families of importance can get a lot of credit: Allow each player to go into debt for up to half of the highest gross value that their landed estates have reached so far? (Although this borrowed money can only be used for paying rents & other charges, or for rebuilding Houses & Taverns that have been destroyed by events, not for buying new estates...)

Posted by: Tracy (---.hyperion.com)
Date: June 06, 2003 02:07PM

Dante: glad to be of help. Garfield does rock doesn't he!

Posted by: Sarah (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: June 06, 2003 02:13PM

I love Garfield too - I get the cartoons e-mailed to me daily. :-)

..........................................................................................

That which does not kill us makes us stranger.
(Llewelyn the dragon, Ozy and Millie)

Sarah

Posted by: dante (---.internal.omneuk.com)
Date: June 06, 2003 10:21PM

Update: I tried to blow that picture up but it's gone fuzzy...

Hmm.

:--

Do something pretty while you can...

Posted by: Skiffle (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: June 07, 2003 11:17PM

Don't really know enough about Anhk-Morpork to design a Junta version. Sarah might be able to help though.

I love Garfield too

Posted by: Sarah (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: June 08, 2003 01:18PM

I don't really know enough about Junta to design an Ankh-Morpork version... but Skiffle might be able to help! :-D

..........................................................................................

That which does not kill us makes us stranger.
(Llewelyn the dragon, Ozy and Millie)

Sarah

Date: June 09, 2003 05:23PM

Skiffle _
Which edition of 'Junta' to do you have, 1st (in a ziplock bag) or 2nd (boxed)?

Posted by: poetscientistdrinker (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: June 09, 2003 06:39PM

Or 1981 Argentinian version?

PSD

==========

This is the work of an Italian narco-anarchic collective. Don't bother insulting them, they can't read English anyway.

Date: June 10, 2003 12:33AM

Simon: it's a boxed edition purchased in 1986, I think.

Date: June 10, 2003 08:41AM

That would be the same version that I've got, then... I was hoping that you had the earlier one, so that I could ask you to confirm several differences in the rules that which I think existed. Oh well..

Posted by: kaz (144.139.23.---)
Date: June 10, 2003 11:16PM

This may have been answered further back up the fforum but I'm too lazy to look for it, but what exactly is Junta?

Posted by: poetscientistdrinker (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: June 10, 2003 11:22PM

I've got no idea either, and I can't remember there having been an answer. It can't be based on a military govenrment really, can it?

PSD

==========

This is the work of an Italian narco-anarchic collective. Don't bother insulting them, they can't read English anyway.

Date: June 11, 2003 01:09AM

Junta is a board game set in La Republica de los Bananos. The players represent the ruling families of the republic and have to threaten/bribe/ally with each other in order to win. The idea is to put away as much Foreign Aid as possible in your Swiss Bank Account while foiling your opponents' attempts to do the same. Assassinations and coups can be organized, but if you are assissinated, you continue playing as your own brother-in-law.
There are event cards such as Dock Strike (which is an excuse for a coup), and Students Circulate Petition Condemning Repression (no effect).

During each turn, every player must choose their current location: Bank, HQ, Home, Mistress or Nightclub. The appropriate card is placed face down. The next thing to happen is that players may make assassination attempts on the others. The Minister of the Interior controls the Secret Police and can make a free assassination attempt every round; other players must have assassin cards. Players have to guess where they think their target is (at his mistress's ?) and then the locations are revealed.

It's a fun game, with lots of opportunites for bad accents and picking silly names, not to mention the ceremonial shelling of the Presidential Palace at the start of a coup.

Posted by: kaz (---.prem.tmns.net.au)
Date: June 11, 2003 02:50AM

Oh, tis sounds cool! Gonna have to get me a copy.

Posted by: dante (---.kw.bbc.co.uk)
Date: June 11, 2003 08:29AM

I saw a Batman & Robin (film tie in) monopoly set yesterday. Wouldn't have thought there'd be much of a market for that...

:--

Do something pretty while you can...

Date: June 11, 2003 07:10PM

Should we ask the Monopolies Commision to design a Thursday Next version for us ?

Posted by: Simon (193.82.99.---)
Date: June 11, 2003 07:13PM

"Groooan..."

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.dalect01.va.comcast.net)
Date: June 11, 2003 07:37PM

Chance card: You've been Eradicated! Give all money ever paid to you back to the individual player and put what's left back in the Goliath bank. All your houses, hotels and properties go back to Goliath. Put your playing piece back in the box after wiping all fingerprints from it and the playing board. Leave gaming area. You no longer exist.

Instead of the utilities, you get the Jurisfiction LIbrary and Spec Ops

Goto Page: Previous12345
Current Page: 5 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.