New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: WOLP postcards
Posted by: Rob (---.leeds.ac.uk)
Date: July 11, 2003 03:59PM

I got one last night as well.

I think it's if he's asked for "replies to this thread" and you post, then it Emails him. Then it must automatically mail you with his "out of office" response.

Posted by: Ptolemy (---.range217-44.btcentralplus.com)
Date: July 11, 2003 03:59PM

I bought a hardback WOLP and didn't get a postcard inside :(

Leeds is a bit of a way off for me to go. Anyone want to take pity on Ptolly and get me a postcard? Puhleeeeeeeese? *pouts, does that thing with his toes like an 8 year old*

Post Edited (07-11-03 17:02)

-----------------------------------------------------------

* I'm backing the campaign to get the official Stalker for 2007 evicted *

Posted by: TheMedHettar (---.blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: July 11, 2003 05:12PM

I would Ptolemy but they look so lovely up on my wall. I have three by the way mwah hahahahaha!

TMH

//---------------//------------------//
One golfer a year is hit by lightning. This may be the only evidence we have of god’s existence.

Posted by: Carla (198.179.227.---)
Date: July 11, 2003 05:16PM

mine are still inside the books...

i have on my work wall the postcards hodder sent though, and a pic of jasper from the borders events flyer... and the LIAGB jacket (and an Abarat flyer and formula 1 photos)

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.dalect01.va.comcast.net)
Date: July 11, 2003 05:20PM

Ptolemy, getting the postcards is the reward for getting to meet him in person. That said, I did get one in my 1st Edition UK LIAGB hardcover that I ordered from Post Mortem Books last year. I wonder if one will arrive this time. My copy of WOLP finally shipped...yay!

(just glad I already had a proof copy or I'd be dying!)

Posted by: Magda (---.med.umich.edu)
Date: July 11, 2003 05:26PM

And I'd be going "Nyah Nyah Nyah nyah nyaaah". ;-)

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.dalect01.va.comcast.net)
Date: July 11, 2003 05:31PM

yes, I know you would! hehehehe

Date: July 11, 2003 05:43PM

Thanks, guys. So supportive! Sheesh.

What the heck... I just went and bid for one on ebay. Fingers crossed!

Date: July 11, 2003 05:52PM

Now now, Twila knows that after I'd said Nyaaah nyahh to her, I'd express my heartfelt sympathy that she was having to wait for the book.

Just like she did after Nyaah nyaahing at me about the fact that she got to meet Jasper 4 days before I did, and the fact that she had a proof of WOLP well before most of us got to read it.

Posted by: Sarah (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: July 11, 2003 06:27PM

Ptolemy - I am planning to buy two copies of WOLP in Leeds, so if they both have postcards I'll send one to you, OK?

..........................................................................................

That which does not kill us makes us stranger.
(Llewelyn the dragon, Ozy and Millie)

Sarah

Date: July 11, 2003 06:34PM

:-) THANKS!!! Wow, that'd be fantastic! Anyone told you they love you recently, Sarah? Hee!!

Date: July 11, 2003 06:42PM

Keep in mind that there's likely more than one different postcard. When he was signing LIAGB in the States he had 4 different ones.

--------------
"I've often said that the difference between British and American SF TV series is that the British ones have three-dimensional characters and cardboard spaceships, while the Americans do it the other way around."
--Ross Smith

Date: July 11, 2003 07:14PM

I only want one, Magda. I'm not greedy! I'd be quite happy with one, hopefully contemporary to the publication, to go into my hardback copy of TWOLP.

Posted by: Sarah (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: July 11, 2003 07:58PM

I realise that there may be different postcards, but honestly, it still seems hardly fair to keep two when there's someone else who hasn't got one at all. Obviously I can't promise, but I will do my best to find two copies with postcards in (or, if that fails, bat eyelashes/wave dodo at Jasper in the hope that he might be willing to provide one I can send!).

..........................................................................................

That which does not kill us makes us stranger.
(Llewelyn the dragon, Ozy and Millie)

Sarah

Posted by: kaz (139.134.58.---)
Date: July 12, 2003 06:57AM

Excuse me, Ptolomy. That postcard on eBay would be the one I was bidding on and just got trumped on, would it? I'll be narky......

Date: July 12, 2003 08:35AM

No, you're OK Kaz - I cancelled my bid when Sarah rode up on her shining white horse and saved me..

As if I would anyway! Being a true English gentleman I would have stepped down as soon as your bid came in. (yeah, right....)

Posted by: kaz (139.134.58.---)
Date: July 12, 2003 10:11AM

Being a true English gentleman you wear a pith helmet and carry a black umbrella to strike out at the natives as you walk through the jungles on your way to the missionary fields.

Don't you?

Posted by: Simon (193.82.99.---)
Date: July 12, 2003 01:13PM

There are four different postcards in the set that Jasper's currently handing out... I only took one book along to him for signing, and consequently received one postcard. (I could have taken the trade paperback of WOLP as well as the hardback, but thought that might be pushing it a bit as I hadn't bought either of them through the shop where the appearance/signing was taking place.) Details are included in the list of handouts elsewhere in Jasper's web-page.

"This was willed where what is willed... can get rather silly."

Posted by: dante (---.kw.bbc.co.uk)
Date: July 12, 2003 01:14PM

Ptolemy, I for one think you'd be better saving your money for train fare to Leeds than spending it on ebay... Kaz only gets away with it cuz the trains don't go to her place. I believe.

:--

Do something pretty while you can...

Date: July 12, 2003 01:25PM

I'm sure Jasper didn't envisage the postcards being viewed as some kind of "badge of courage", won in the heat of battle at a book signing, like some people seem to be doing. I'd imagine they're just fun, pleasingly artistic, handy little "gizzits" which can be strewn around at random, scribbled on, sent through the post, stuck to the front door with an instruction saying "parcels round the back", folded up tightly to prop up one corner of a lopsided table and generally used for a myriad different purposes - only one of which happens to be tucking them inside books.

Oh and incidentally, Kaz - are you taking the pith? Hee! Oddly enough I was once referred to as looking like "someone from the landed gentry that's fallen badly from grace", though I never did quite figure out what he meant (or indeed who grace was, and/or how many legs she had...)

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.