New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: Nextian News
Posted by: splat21 (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: July 20, 2003 11:16PM

Somewhere warm!

Or Orkney or the Western Isles... or if you're from Orkney or the Western Isles Aberdeen, Edinburgh, Glasgow. You name it, we get everywhere!

_ _ _ _ _

If the English language made any sense, a catastrophe would be an apostrophe with fur.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: July 20, 2003 11:20PM

Seems your fame has no bounds PSD.

Date: July 20, 2003 11:23PM

Eep. No-one's painted a target on your roof have they? ; )

_ _ _ _ _

If the English language made any sense, a catastrophe would be an apostrophe with fur.

Posted by: poetscientistdrinker (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: July 20, 2003 11:26PM

I don't know, but bearing mind the legendary accuracy of 'smart' bombs I'm probably pretty safe if they have.

I can deny, btw, that Saddam is hiding at the bottom of my garden, and I haven't spoken to anybody from the BBC for, ooh, months.

PSD

==========

This is the work of an Italian narco-anarchic collective. Don't bother insulting them, they can't read English anyway.

Date: July 20, 2003 11:30PM

The press'll be round in the morning then.

_ _ _ _ _

Date: July 20, 2003 11:31PM

There are Saddams at the bottom of my garden???

Do you remember 'Defender' (arcade game). This featured

- a 'smart' bomb that blew up those of your enemies that were on the screen at the time.

A friend postulated that there were also -

- a 'not very smart' bomb that blew up all of your enemies when they were off the screen

- a 'twat' bomb that blew you up when you were on the screen (empirically this was the effect of alien fire, I pointed out)

- and, by symettry, there was also a 'not very twat' bomb that blew you up when YOU weren't on the screen. I pointed out that this was what the 'hyperspace' key did, a lot of the time.

Mathematicians and Pysicists --- oh, blow that for a lark.

Date: July 20, 2003 11:32PM

Okay, okay - maybe I was the mysterious 'other intelligence source' that Campbell is so keen on....

PSD

==========

This is the work of an Italian narco-anarchic collective. Don't bother insulting them, they can't read English anyway.

Date: July 20, 2003 11:34PM

Your intelligence may well be 'other'.

Posted by: Sarah (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: July 20, 2003 11:35PM

I'm just waiting for Kaz to comment on that. ;-)

..........................................................................................

That which does not kill us makes us stranger.
(Llewelyn the dragon, Ozy and Millie)

Sarah

Posted by: Skiffle (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: July 20, 2003 11:59PM

The sixth form college I went to started life as an American Air Force Hospital in WWII. Most of the classrooms were in Nissen huts, and bloody cold they were too. The college really wanted to be like a public school, and we had this dreadful school song which included the line:

"When the Pilgrim Fathers' sons returned,
To Wymondham's verdant acres."

So bad, I still remember it 18 years later.

Posted by: kaz (139.134.57.---)
Date: July 21, 2003 12:31AM

Sorry, Skiffle. Wasn't here at the time. But I will comment now. Wel, I hafta....

PSD - you are just 'other', and intelligence plays no part in your biological makeup.

Posted by: MissPrint (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: July 21, 2003 02:27AM

Oi, Dave R, you have been to Scotland more recently than as a child, it was about ten years ago, and you stayed with us. Memorable because your poor wife was pregnant and kept throwing up. Dd made you read endless fairytales.

Date: July 21, 2003 04:25AM

Kaz - That statement may well be true, after another five hour session chatting to someone on the net. It's becoming a habit...

PSD

==========

Posted by: Intrigue (---.vic.bigpond.net.au)
Date: July 21, 2003 08:23AM

But is PSD more or less than Human?

---
Those who forget the pasta are doomed to reheat it.

Posted by: kaz (139.134.58.---)
Date: July 21, 2003 08:36AM

Neither. He's off to the side a bit....

Posted by: Simon (193.82.99.---)
Date: July 21, 2003 01:54PM

There's a supposedly-true story that two policemen (from the Lothian & Borders force, IIRC) who were out with some kind of radar device looking for speeding motorists, a few years ago, used it on a lowflying warplane that startled them... Allegedly the plane responded to this by sending back a high-powered "targeting" pulse that burnt the device out, and when their superiors complained to the RAF about this (and tried to get somebody to pay for a replacement device?) they were told that those policemen had been lucky the plane was only on a training mission because if it had been armed its onboard computer's automatic response to the radar scan (from a source which, like them, wasn't also sending the proper IFF signal) would have been a missile...

Warning! Product may contain Newts!

Date: July 21, 2003 03:15PM

Miss Print, quite right! Forgetful me. Dd? Surely not yet? Or have I misunderstood a misprint by Miss Print?

I was happy reading the fairytales, pity about E being sick. She had a margarine tub which experience showed was exactly the volume of her stomach.

Posted by: Sarah (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: July 21, 2003 03:20PM

Um... it stands for "darling daughter", if I'm not mistaken!

..........................................................................................

That which does not kill us makes us stranger.
(Llewelyn the dragon, Ozy and Millie)

Sarah

Date: July 21, 2003 04:48PM

Ah, so that's it; but you knew what I meant.

Date: July 21, 2003 06:37PM

Did it fall, or was it pushed?

PSD

==========

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.