New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
Nextian News
Posted by: poetscientistdrinker (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: July 10, 2003 12:07AM

Every so often I spot a real-life news event that could almost be Nextian, so I figured we could start a thread for them

Mobile Fondue

PSD

==========

This is the work of an Italian narco-anarchic collective. Don't bother insulting them, they can't read English anyway.

Re: Nextian News
Posted by: Holly Daze (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: July 10, 2003 12:12AM

another laugh like that could prove fatal at this time of the morning, I've gotta go to bed. still snorting - not ladylike I know.

Posted by: Intrigue (---.vic.bigpond.net.au)
Date: July 10, 2003 12:44AM

That just jogged my memory about a book called Pigs Might Fly, by Emily Rodda (I think). In it, a young girl gets taken to an alternate world where coincidences happen more often because of something in the air. I can't think whether it was entropy...

Posted by: Milo (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: July 10, 2003 12:45AM

I saw that on the news this morning and thought it was hilarious, especially considering the Wales / possibly illegitimate cheese importation possibilities...

Liked the link about villagers accidentally growing opium as well...

Posted by: Magda (---.dialip.mich.net)
Date: July 10, 2003 03:18AM

Hmmm....did anyone yell "Opa!"?

--------------
"I've often said that the difference between British and American SF TV series is that the British ones have three-dimensional characters and cardboard spaceships, while the Americans do it the other way around."
--Ross Smith

Date: July 10, 2003 03:32AM

Here's another one. Shades of Anton Next?

Command errors led to Iraqi ambush

Date: July 10, 2003 05:30AM

In the news today, it says that married men are stupider than the unmarried...

Posted by: einalem (---.xtra.co.nz)
Date: July 10, 2003 07:37AM

Apparently the wives are already being blamed for it.

Posted by: Auntysassy (193.132.206.---)
Date: July 10, 2003 10:24AM

Can't find this one on a link but it was reported in the 8.30am news bulletin this morning.

Danish Military Planners have admitted errors in what they have supplied to Danish Troops in Iraq or Afganistan (can't remember which was so busy laughing!).

For example bullet proof vests that don't fit, a snow plough and (best of all I think) a large consignment of lawn mowers.

Date: July 10, 2003 01:53PM

According to a friend of mine, when he worked at a US army base in Germany, the base store stocked the same things as every other army base store, regardless of location. So this one sold hummingbird feeders, despite the fact that there are, in point of fact, no hummingbirds in Europe. Despite his having pointed this out, they continued to stock them until German environmentalists pointed out that the hummingbird feeders put out by uninformed folks who bought them there were causing a marked increase in the population of a particular pesty beetle, which apparently liked the sugar water.

--------------
"I've often said that the difference between British and American SF TV series is that the British ones have three-dimensional characters and cardboard spaceships, while the Americans do it the other way around."
--Ross Smith

Posted by: KT (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: July 10, 2003 04:16PM

I don't know if this is true but I read that some health concious Americans started putting "low calorie" sweetener in hummingbird feeders and then wondered why all the hummingbirds died.

Posted by: Ptolemy (---.range217-44.btcentralplus.com)
Date: July 10, 2003 06:09PM

Not strictly on topic (but then, what is?) but am I right in thinking there's a currently a typo at the top of the "What's New" link on jasperfforde.com (ie June should read July)

[www.jasperfforde.com]

Sure had me confused anyway (not that that takes much doing!)

Posted by: poetscientistdrinker (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: July 10, 2003 06:11PM

Here's some more news - don't take everything you see in books seriously, or if you do keep a fire extinguisher handy...
Rotten Potter Ends Up Hotter

PSD

==========

This is the work of an Italian narco-anarchic collective. Don't bother insulting them, they can't read English anyway.

Date: July 10, 2003 07:33PM

KT,
I haven't heard that personally, but my opinion of many of my countrymen is such that I'd be inclined to believe it. Sigh.

I know someone from New Zealand who told me that only meeting people like me online had convinced her that not all Americans are blithering idiots. I suppose I should take that as a compliment.....

Post Edited (07-13-03 05:57)

--------------
--Ross Smith

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: July 10, 2003 08:45PM

It's a deep-seated human need to think that nations better placed than ones' own are populated by blithering idiots. No matter where you go or who you loathe you can get evidence for the theory if you want it.

Posted by: kaz (139.134.57.---)
Date: July 11, 2003 04:35AM

Every nation is populated by blithering idiots. Except Australia, of course!

(Now don't be rude!)

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.sttl.uswest.net)
Date: July 12, 2003 10:38PM

Magda--it will be more believable when you stop putting apostrophe's in plural's. :) (Jane Austen could get away with that sort of thing, but I fear it makes those of us not yet dead look uneducated.)

humilitas

Date: July 13, 2003 03:50AM

Andorra may not be filled with idiots, it's full of retired European soccer stars.

---
Those who forget the pasta are doomed to reheat it.

Date: July 13, 2003 05:04AM

Improper apostrophe duly removed. I really do know better, so I must not have been paying attention. Either that or there are a bunch of bookworm's in the vicinity belching out extra's.

(above apostrophes were placed there deliberately by the author of this post in order to cast suspicion upon nonexistant bookworms.)

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.STTNWAHO.covad.net)
Date: July 13, 2003 06:50PM

Ooooh, I wish I had thought of the bookworms... *grin*

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.