New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 5 of 6
Re: Using the Fforum: an Idiot's Guide
Posted by: Ptolemy (---.range217-44.btcentralplus.com)
Date: July 17, 2003 10:19PM

Now you've got me... I don't know! To me "garage music" was rock music produced by kids practising in their garages (well, DERRR!!!), personified by the likes of the Count 5 who recorded THE seminal garage rock number 'Psychcotic Reaction' circa 1965. That's what garage rock always was and always will be to me.

As per usual in the world of music the phrase has however been appropriated by a whole new generation to mean something completely different (and to my mind less logical). "Ska" for example nowadays means something quite different to the horn-driven reggae of the 1970s.

Anyway, back to garage and house.

House music was the direct descendant of "Disco" in the 70s. To be honest the whole disco thing is WAY outside my area of expertise. There's quite a learned paper on the subject available here though if you're interested:

[music.hyperreal.org]

Garage followed in the 80s, taking its name from a former club called the Paradise Garage in King Street, New York,where a resident DJ called Larry Levan played underground Black American Disco during the 80s, spiced up with occasional "white-boy" tracks like the Clash's "Radio Clash" or Talking Heads "Once in a lifetime" (the fact that the Heads included a girl and weren't therefore strictly speaking white-boy has been conveniently overlooked by history).

As to what the difference is, that's anyone's guess really.... maybe there isn't one. Sorry!

Posted by: Sarah (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: July 17, 2003 10:36PM

Er, thanks! I have read the very learned paper and am now even more confused. That'll teach me to ask silly questions!

..........................................................................................

That which does not kill us makes us stranger.
(Llewelyn the dragon, Ozy and Millie)

Sarah

Posted by: poetscientistdrinker (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: July 17, 2003 10:45PM

Isn't garage a kind of British R&B (well, what the yanks now call R&B, which has bugger all rythym but gives me the blues), with stripped back grooves and a more melodic vocal style than (say) rap.

House is a kind of dance music, so has a faster beat and also less emphasis on lyrical content.

I think, anyways.

PSD

==========

This is the work of an Italian narco-anarchic collective. Don't bother insulting them, they can't read English anyway.

Date: July 17, 2003 10:46PM

I think the bottom line is, one came from Chicago and the other from New York, Sarah.

Though quite what the relevance of it all is to clubbers in, say, Macclesfield is is anyone's guess really. Always makes me laugh seeing chubby middle class white English kids trying to pretend they were raised in a black American ghetto.

Reminds me of when Punk Rock first exploded in Britain in 1976. It quickly got picked up by American bands who adopted the ripped clothing and random safety pins and zip-fasteners, but they somehow missed the whole "anarchy" point altogether. I remember seeing an American punk band run through a set of Sex Pistols and Clash cover songs in about 1977 - and then finish their set with a speeded-up rendition of "God Bless America", thereby missing the whole point completely. Just about the only band to really get what it was about was Jello Biafra's band the Dead Kennedys, but then again they remained resolutely laws unto themselves anyway.

Sorry... I did warm you not to get me started on this subject. Abort! Abort!

Post Edited (07-17-03 23:49)

-----------------------------------------------------------

* I'm backing the campaign to get the official Stalker for 2007 evicted *

Posted by: splat21 (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: July 17, 2003 11:56PM

Didn't the Tubes start off as punk?

_ _ _ _ _

If the English language made any sense, a catastrophe would be an apostrophe with fur.

Posted by: Barbie (---.dip.t-dialin.net)
Date: July 18, 2003 11:43AM

Jesus, you're too fast for me! I keep losing track...
I've no clue what any differences between any styles of music are. I'm quite happy with the basics such as rock, pop, heavy and techno... My flatmate spent 5 months at MTV in London, she's got a bit more of an idea, she knows all about mainstream at least.

Ptolemy - that "biggest city" part was a very big joke *g* Mainz has about 250.000 inhabitants, of which at least 30.000 are students. It is the capital of my home county (Bundesland), probably because it's the biggest town within the county. Next door there's Frankfurt. That's a wee bit bigger... *ahem*
Still, since I'm a country girl born and bred, I like Mainz, it's just about the size of a town I can live with. My village is real big for our standards, we've 4000 inhabitants. As you can see, I'm not exactly from the most crowded area in Germany... *biggrin*

Never put a sock in a toaster!
E. Izzard

Posted by: Bluebottle (---.server.ntl.com)
Date: July 18, 2003 12:58PM

I want to live till I die - no more, no less.

It's been bugging me for a while as to where *exactly* that quote came from, but I've just had a lightbulb experience.

The "Lust for Glorious" 'documentary' thing they included on the Izzard "Glorious" video?

Posted by: Holly Daze (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: July 21, 2003 09:37PM

About this Idiots Guide - what about those of us.......ok I mean me, who hasn't even reached the dizzying heights of idiocy. I have a pic I was going to put on my profile. I didn't have a web page so I got one, I managed to put my pic on the web page which was touch and go for a while but I can't get it to go on my profile, I've clicked on the url and put in the http//www.withmywebpageaddresshere but then I need someone to hold my hand. Help she cried in what was supposed to be a heart melting sort of way but came out just sounding whiny.

Date: July 21, 2003 09:52PM

You need to use the actual picture URL, and for that it's generally simpler to use an image hosting site such as this one. Get yourself a free account, upload your picture to it, and then go to the URL page (there'll be a link). You will want the one which says it's for adding to an HTML page (I think it's the third one on the list). Copy and paste this into the space provided in your profile and it should work.

If you have any more problems, please plock loudly and I (or whoever else is about) will assist!

..........................................................................................

Sarah

Date: July 21, 2003 10:10PM

Yep, well said Sarah - not for the first time you beat me to it. And Holly, if this is too much for you, feel free to email any picture of your choice to me and I'll gladly upload it for you and send you the link. Though I think from what you're saying you already have the picture loaded into a web page? Does it appear in your web browser when you click on it? In that case it might simply be a case of making sure you have [ img] and [ /img] either side of the link?

Either way don't worry, someone will be only too glad to help I'm sure!

Date: July 21, 2003 10:26PM

Sarah - I've done it, I've done it! jumping up and down childishly, easypeasy when you've got someone telling you what to do in plain english, thanks for that.

Ptolemy - "Holly, if this is too much for you,!!!!!! tut tut, actually thanks for your offer too, I think I'm going out to buy a good book on computer stuff, oh any excuse to go to the book shop.

You can go and look now if you like.

Thanks again

Date: July 21, 2003 10:29PM

You're welcome. And a very nice picture it is too! :-)

Sarah

Date: July 21, 2003 10:54PM

It is! It's a lovely picture! Well done! Hee!

Date: July 21, 2003 10:58PM

I did it last night and I had to keep getting up to see if thats what I looked like while I was sitting there!!!!

Date: July 21, 2003 11:09PM

Is that a pint by your side?

PSD

==========

This is the work of an Italian narco-anarchic collective. Don't bother insulting them, they can't read English anyway.

Date: July 21, 2003 11:18PM

yeah, its artistic licence, p*** artist(ic) licence

Date: July 21, 2003 11:19PM

I was a piss (poor) artist - I failed my art GCSE (technically impossible)

PSD

==========

Date: July 21, 2003 11:29PM

My art GCSE teacher (bloke) was a perv.,

My gym teacher..........well she lived with a fellow gym teacher from a nearby school who happened to be a lady who liked other ladies, some of us from our school and some of them from her school all went to a school camp (did I mention we were a single sex school, don't ask which sex or I'll biff you.) Supervised by the two gym teachers. Shortly after this the other schools gym teacher was sent to prison for biffing her lady lover over the head with a hammer doing her some serious injury.

Posted by: splat21 (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: July 22, 2003 06:01PM

And I thought my teachers were weird... we were taught eurythmy (don't ask!) by a chunky bloke in a long pink dress who would never let us open the windows, because "There are angels outside and they want to come in". <add a strong Austrian accent here> We were quite enthusiastic about angels coming in the windows, but then he decided they were "bad, dark angels" so we never did get to see them... *sigh*

_ _ _ _ _

If the English language made any sense, a catastrophe would be an apostrophe with fur.

Date: July 22, 2003 07:40PM

You're right, thats weird. I mean the angel thing is strange, but wearing a long pink dress...... didn't the powers that be notice. I've got nothing against cross dressers, Mr Izzard carries it off beautifully, but a long dress isn't really practical for teaching anyway.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 5 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.