New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 4 of 6
Re: Using the Fforum: an Idiot's Guide
Posted by: Sarah (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: July 16, 2003 03:46PM

Sorry if I wasn't clear! I can normally read messages in any order I like, and the "new" tags don't get messed up unless I try to start a new thread. Then they all vanish.

However, there are rare occasions when they vanish if I try to read something higher up the list, so I generally do play it safe and read from the bottom. I don't go by the title. A few posts into the thread and it's always diverged into something you don't expect anyway. :-)

..........................................................................................

That which does not kill us makes us stranger.
(Llewelyn the dragon, Ozy and Millie)

Sarah

Posted by: Bluebottle (---.server.ntl.com)
Date: July 16, 2003 04:15PM

After some trial and error, it appears that reading from the bottom up leaves the correct tags in place 9 times out of 10. However, posting to a thread (which then takes me back to the thread list) removes them half the time. When revisiting the list, 1 time out of 10 the tags will reappear as if it hadn't taken any note of what I read in the last session. And accidentally going down a thread (from inside the thread) instead of up will often remove half the tags.

This leads me to conclude that 85.63% of all statistics are rubbish and I have a headache.

More tea, vicar?

Posted by: splat21 (213.38.32.---)
Date: July 16, 2003 04:18PM

I find mine's alright unless I use the back button once I've read a thread. If I use 'go to topic' only the ones I haven't read are flagged (I'm on IE too)

_ _ _ _ _

If the English language made any sense, a catastrophe would be an apostrophe with fur.

Posted by: poetscientistdrinker (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: July 16, 2003 06:15PM

AlisonS' experience seems closest to mine, although I've long since given up on reading every thread...

Barbie, glad to be a help. I've reread you're explanation of the German thing several times and I think I finally understand the logic. It's something to do with you not being Italian, right?

PSD

==========

This is the work of an Italian narco-anarchic collective. Don't bother insulting them, they can't read English anyway.

Posted by: Barbie (---.dip.t-dialin.net)
Date: July 16, 2003 09:10PM

*applause* That's just it. Gosh, I'm glad someone understands me. *chuckles* Now I've come out of the closet, are there any more Germans who maybe don't dare come forward? *looksaround* Maybe not. Just as well. Hopefully there will be soon!! :-)

Date: July 16, 2003 09:20PM

I used to share a house with a German, but I've lost contact with him. A shame, as he'd love TN.

PSD

==========

This is the work of an Italian narco-anarchic collective. Don't bother insulting them, they can't read English anyway.

Date: July 16, 2003 09:52PM

There you go! As I said, I'd probably never heard of it, hadn't it been for my tutor who brought it up as a course topic relating to "Jane Eyre". I've WOLP here, but I can't start reading until August, I've too much other stuff to do and read for uni. *whine*
I've also just posted my course-oral-report-interaction-thingy topic... I hope some of you will help me out!
Barbie

Never put a sock in a toaster!
E. Izzard

Posted by: splat21 (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: July 16, 2003 10:42PM

No probs... I went to the Scottish version of a German school (you call them Waldorf Schule (no umlaut on here!) so was taught by lots of people from Germany, Switzerland, Austria (and France)... I did have fun! So anything I can do...

_ _ _ _ _

If the English language made any sense, a catastrophe would be an apostrophe with fur.

Date: July 16, 2003 10:45PM

Which uni, btw?

PSD

==========

Date: July 16, 2003 10:50PM

Duh! Truly dumb post there...

Post Edited (07-16-03 23:55)

_ _ _ _ _

Date: July 16, 2003 10:57PM

Sorry, was asking Barbie. As I'm sure you guessed, afterwards...

PSD

==========

Date: July 16, 2003 11:01PM

Ah you noticed that... never drink wine. Or at least, unless you drink much more than me! It's tooooo quiet. I can practically hear the tumble weed...

Post Edited (07-17-03 00:17)

_ _ _ _ _

Posted by: Magda (---.dialip.mich.net)
Date: July 17, 2003 01:33AM

BTW, I see on Jasper's Foreign Sales page that publication rights in German have been sold for TEA and LIAGB, but they aren't published yet.

--------------
"I've often said that the difference between British and American SF TV series is that the British ones have three-dimensional characters and cardboard spaceships, while the Americans do it the other way around."
--Ross Smith

Posted by: Ptolemy (---.range217-44.btcentralplus.com)
Date: July 17, 2003 07:44AM

Apologies if I'm stating the blooming obvious, but isn't "FfridayLast" who posts over on the WOLP fforum also from Germany? It's the .de part of the ISP which is a bit of a giveaway. Well, that and the fact that he signs off his messages "Klaus", but the .de bit is the real clincher....

Date: July 17, 2003 07:55PM

You never know. I haven't read WOLP as of yet, sadly, so I've not been to that fforum yet. .de sounds pretty much like Germany, though...
Good thing they'll publish it in Germany as well. Not that I would ever read any of the books in German, but it would be interesting to see how they cover the puns...
PSD - I'm at Mainz University, biggest city there ever was in Germany. Very well known. Ok, that's a lie, but it's nice here, anyway...

Never put a sock in a toaster!
E. Izzard

Date: July 17, 2003 08:06PM

I just love translations of jokes into other languages. That and poetry - I think it's fascinating. If a pun in Punjabi has an analogue in Tagalog, I want to know about it!

..........................................................................................

Sarah

Date: July 17, 2003 08:28PM

Mainz is a fine city. I wouldn't describe it as the biggest city by any means, but it's definitely one I have fond memories of (I toured Germany for 6 weeks with a rock band a few years back - any university city was obviously high on the agenda due to the preponderance of indie music fans at most uni's.)

Date: July 17, 2003 09:22PM

Ah! So rock = indie, then? (Not that I know what either of them actually is, but I like to be able to make some kind of sense of popular music terminology!)

Sarah

Date: July 17, 2003 09:35PM

Sarah, "indie" is short for "independent music", which is an alternative to the "mainstream" stuff dished out by the major labels. University students have historically always prided themselves on delving deeper into rock music than the stuff handed out on a (costly) plate to them at their local branch of Virgin, EMI and Tower, so uni's are typically hotbeds of experimentation and intrigue, places where live music means exactly that.

A complex subject cut down into 5 lines... argh! Hope that helps a bit anyway.

Date: July 17, 2003 09:41PM

I see! Many thanks. :-)

Another question: how did "house" and "garage" music get their names, what exactly are they, and what's the difference?

Sarah

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 4 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.