New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
All right! Nobody move!
Posted by: Milo (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: July 15, 2003 11:39PM

Eek! I'm out of touch for a few days and it takes me two hours to get through the posts I've missed.
I'm still suffering shock and outrage for being charged a disgraceful amount for a new power cable for my computer. It was either that or no internet ever again, so really no competition. Still, ouch!!!! £60 strikes me as being a little unfair.

Anyway, hello again...

Re: All right! Nobody move!
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.dalect01.va.comcast.net)
Date: July 15, 2003 11:44PM

egads!! that's a lot! What'd they have to do, go cut down a power tree and carve it from scratch?? Or do you own a non-standard type of computer power source? Or is it one of those where the cord is hardwired into the power source and other than replacing the whole thing you have to pay a lot to crack open the case and un-wire and re-wire it yourself?

Posted by: Guy (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: July 15, 2003 11:44PM

Cant' you just use the power cable off your kettle -- I've certainly done that before (change the fuse, though . . .)

Jesus saves; Buddha does incremental backup.

Posted by: poetscientistdrinker (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: July 15, 2003 11:46PM

My printer shares a power lead with my bass amp...

I half expected this thread to be a game of musical statues...

PSD

==========

This is the work of an Italian narco-anarchic collective. Don't bother insulting them, they can't read English anyway.

Posted by: Ptolemy (---.range217-44.btcentralplus.com)
Date: July 15, 2003 11:50PM

PSD, I think that was your statutes that Milo was reading you in the title of this topic, not your statues...

Date: July 15, 2003 11:53PM

I'm pretty sure I'm not the heaviest poster this week. Certainly not with Dave R and Sarah using the fforum in preference to the good old method of shouting....

PSD

==========

This is the work of an Italian narco-anarchic collective. Don't bother insulting them, they can't read English anyway.

Date: July 16, 2003 12:13AM

Trust me, if I could have used the cable from my kettle I would have done, only I have yet to find a kettle that has one of those little boxes on it that does something to the voltage ... I dunno what it does really, but apparently it make sure nothing blows up my puter, which is fine by me.

I did check which *part* of the lead was faulty, bizarrely by plugging one part of it into a typewriter, which promptly worked. Ironic really, when you think about it....

Posted by: TheMedHettar (---.blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: July 16, 2003 12:21AM

at least you don't have a mac like me, wonderful to use as they are, to get a proper mac cable costs a HUGE amount. admittedly even the power cables are sexily designed but at 120 for just a batter for my lap top, its a tad pricey.

TMH

//---------------//------------------//
One golfer a year is hit by lightning. This may be the only evidence we have of god’s existence.

Posted by: Skiffle (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: July 16, 2003 12:24AM

I had to buy a new power lead for my printer recently, as the original went missing in The Great Renovation. It has a power transformer and cost £15 from my local Maplins. Did you go somewhere like Dixons, or did you go to a computer shop ?

Posted by: kaz (139.134.58.---)
Date: July 16, 2003 12:56AM

PSD: Hiding!

Posted by: Guy (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: July 16, 2003 01:57AM

TMH

Hurrah hurrah another Maccie! We are growing in power and influence. Mwahaahahhahhahahah. Or something.

Yes batteries are a pain -- you really do need the genuine article. But with most bits if you don't care about the shiny translucent Apple stylee look, you can use any old s**t. Yea verily, my super expensive G4 (now worth 3p due to the release of the G5) is connected to the mains using a genuine 100 per cent original Tesco's toaster cable. With a new (3amp) fuse, obiviously.

Jesus saves; Buddha does incremental backup.

Posted by: TheMedHettar (---.blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: July 16, 2003 04:58PM

So im not alone in being a maccie? i only recently made the change actually as i was needing a new computer for unia nd i thought, hmm, a nice iBook would be a bit tasty, and i tell ya, i've never looked back, mac is the way!

TMH

//---------------//------------------//
One golfer a year is hit by lightning. This may be the only evidence we have of god’s existence.

Posted by: Sarah (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: July 16, 2003 05:08PM

My friend Patrick is a Mac-evangelist, but his ardour has been decidedly cooler since his all-singing, all-dancing, ultimately reliable machine had to go to the shop for major repairs!

Frankly I don't care what I'm using as long as it works. :-)

..........................................................................................

That which does not kill us makes us stranger.
(Llewelyn the dragon, Ozy and Millie)

Sarah

Date: July 16, 2003 05:17PM

I'm bilingual! Got a (Power)Mac on one side of the room and a PC the other. I tend to use the PC for web-browsing and talking to you lot (or rather, talking to myself when so many are in Leeds...). Like Sarah, I don't really mind which I use so long as it works. The differences aren't that discernable anyway - certainly not the way I have them set up anyway.

Posted by: Rob (---.leeds.ac.uk)
Date: July 16, 2003 05:28PM

Hey Ptol, I'm in Leeds *and* I'm still here.

Not for much longer. International, best selling author to meet ;-)
(Oh and a few other reprobates from these parts)

Post Edited (07-16-03 18:29)

Date: July 16, 2003 05:50PM

Cheers Rob! Well give them my best regards, and promise (warn!) them I'll be along to one of these gatherings one of these days... I'd be going tonight if I didn't have to go to London tomorrow and thus unable to afford the extra journey. *sigh*

Have a great time! Let us know how it goes!

Date: July 16, 2003 10:12PM

I do have an antique mac, just in case, but it doesn't have a modem (what? no modem?) and it is pretty good for what it is.... Skiffle - I got it from "Partmaster" supposedly not being able to be beaten for price. I'll be checking around town to see if I can, knowing Dixons I'll be able to get it somewhere local for a tenner...

MacOS has never struck me as particularly easy to use, and what's with the whole one button mouse thing????

Posted by: splat21 (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: July 16, 2003 10:25PM

Funny I love Macs - they're much easier to use and sexier than PCs ...
Oi Ptolemy what d'you mean, you're talking to yourself? Some of us are still here you know (even if we don't really count...) *sobs into beer* I'd be there too if I could ;)

_ _ _ _ _

If the English language made any sense, a catastrophe would be an apostrophe with fur.

Date: July 16, 2003 10:27PM

I'm about too.

Cue another burst of tears...

I didn't like that funny round mouse they had for the IMac. And I use a PC as Evesham Computers is just down the road, and I'm stupidly loyal to my own town.

PSD

==========

Posted by: splat21 (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: July 16, 2003 10:38PM

<bearing up womanfully> No, I give you that, the mouse is crap. But the graphics are great and it's much nicer looking. Is Evesham computers good? (um do I mean 'are'?) One Dan hit the skids I got a Tiny pc - very bad move - they don't upgrade.

_ _ _ _ _

If the English language made any sense, a catastrophe would be an apostrophe with fur.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.