New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: All right! Nobody move!
Posted by: poetscientistdrinker (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: July 16, 2003 10:43PM

They keep being voted as the best by various polls, so they must be doing something right. I upgraded mine without any problems.

PSD

==========

This is the work of an Italian narco-anarchic collective. Don't bother insulting them, they can't read English anyway.

Posted by: splat21 (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: July 16, 2003 10:47PM

Think I'll go to them next then - thanks! Tiny make them so that if you want to upgrade anything you have to buy a whole new computer - truly crap built in obsolescence, but then why would anyone buy anything from something called Tiny? (er, not being sizeist, large I ain't)

_ _ _ _ _

If the English language made any sense, a catastrophe would be an apostrophe with fur.

Date: July 16, 2003 10:56PM

THey're a little bit more expensive, but then they make sure you get decent components, which means you don't have to replace bits after a year or so.

Evesham.com

The e-style ones look so cool, but I've got this jobby here, with a TFT screen. I've since added an audio card to it, to try and cure a problem with getting surround sound, but it turns out some graphics cards upset windows mediaplayer. Switching to PowerDVD sorted it. I wanted the all-in-one card so I could watch TV without clogging up my desk further, but I wouldn't recomend it if you don't need one - it's not terribly good...

PSD

==========

This is the work of an Italian narco-anarchic collective. Don't bother insulting them, they can't read English anyway.

Date: July 16, 2003 11:22PM

This is really good stuff - thanks! I've got a separate plug in sound system anyway so that should take care of the sound thing. Rather have a separate TV on the whole. I'll have a proper look at that tomorrow... meanwhile up at 6 (ugh!) so night... normal service will be resumed tomorrow, I expect :)

_ _ _ _ _

If the English language made any sense, a catastrophe would be an apostrophe with fur.

Date: July 16, 2003 11:24PM

Take care.

PSD

==========

Date: July 16, 2003 11:25PM

And you :) *falls over*

_ _ _ _ _

Posted by: Swindonian (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: July 17, 2003 12:50AM

I've got an Evesham pc too, with a TFT monitor. Bought in May last year (my first computer) so the exact specification is no longer manufactured of course. I' ve had no problems with it at all, so highly recommended.

Naomi

Naomi

Posted by: Magda (---.dialip.mich.net)
Date: July 17, 2003 01:41AM

The last Apple computer I owned was an Apple IIe. Okay, it was also my first computer. It was better than the Apple II, because it did lower case characters instead of just ALL CAPS. We got the extra memory card, so it had 128k instead of 64k of RAM.

--------------
"I've often said that the difference between British and American SF TV series is that the British ones have three-dimensional characters and cardboard spaceships, while the Americans do it the other way around."
--Ross Smith

Posted by: ilovespike (---.visp.co.nz)
Date: July 17, 2003 02:31AM

THM,Guy and all other mac users, I'm a Maccie too! My dad set up Jetstream about a month ago and we had to get an AirPort and Mac OS X 10.2.3 to be able to use it! It can be such a ripoff, but I don't like windows that much so. Oh, and I need a mac for school.

from me (a Mac user since age 4) :)

Date: July 17, 2003 02:44AM

Evesham also do PCs with Linux pre-loaded, but I couldn't go for one in case work stuff wasn't compatible.

And coz the idea scared me...

PSD

==========

Posted by: Ptolemy (---.range217-44.btcentralplus.com)
Date: July 17, 2003 07:30AM

Now isn't that strange? I'm another who's loyal to Evesham computers - I currently have the same one as PSD oddly enough, with TFT and all the trimmings (including wireless keyboard and mouse). I don't live anywhere near them and I've never met another (as it were!) before now and on this list there's what, 3 others? Must be the computer of choice of the Nexteratii or something...

Posted by: splat21 (213.38.32.---)
Date: July 17, 2003 08:13AM

Ceratinly going to be mine when I get the dosh together to get one - not Linux though - as PSD says, too frightening - don't know enough about it.

_ _ _ _ _

Posted by: dante (---.internal.omneuk.com)
Date: July 18, 2003 10:49PM

Might be another... just checked that out for laptops and there's quite a nice one... do they get stocked in actual shops so i can go and look at it and batter the keyboard round a bit?

:--

Do something pretty while you can...

Date: July 18, 2003 10:53PM

Yeah, there's a list of shops on the website

PSD

==========

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: July 18, 2003 10:56PM

PC World have quite a variety in stock, but don't count on anything being running to try out. You also get a regular variety of end of line ones going @#$%&.

Having got my laptop for a variety of purposes I now use one of those Microsoft natural keyboards with a radio dongle. The keyboard on the laptop itself is quite good for what it is, but whenever I can use the alternative I do; you can only spend so long typing as if you were the madman on the abandoned organ (PSD, that's quite enough).

Date: July 18, 2003 10:58PM

Evesham only sell stuff through the net and their own shops

PSD

==========

Date: July 21, 2003 06:30PM

Ah! There's a store in Glasgow. Which I don't *recall* ever seeing, but... I will go and look.

I wanna keyboard with a radio dongle. Erm...

Date: July 21, 2003 07:23PM

All we need is - radio dongle -

By which I refer to my £99 device ex PC World as used with my laptop. Er. It's a lot @#$%& if you lose the radio feature, go for the USB version, and just plug the thing in.

Date: July 21, 2003 10:04PM

Yeah, but the radio one is cooler :o)

Date: July 21, 2003 10:36PM

My coolness level presumably increases by one, then?

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.