New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: All right! Nobody move!
Posted by: dante (---.internal.omneuk.com)
Date: July 21, 2003 10:39PM

List of hobbies and careers: underwear, computers, tolkien, fforde, writing.

You *know* you're pretty damn cool already.

:--

Do something pretty while you can...

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: July 21, 2003 10:44PM

Ooooooooooooh !

I've never been cool before.

Posted by: splat21 (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: July 22, 2003 06:04PM

*sigh* envy... don't think I'll ever make cool...

Post Edited (07-22-03 19:06)

_ _ _ _ _

If the English language made any sense, a catastrophe would be an apostrophe with fur.

Posted by: Ptolemy (---.range217-44.btcentralplus.com)
Date: July 22, 2003 06:19PM

This is cool.

At least, it made me laugh. A press release just, erm, released for a band with the somewhat winning name of British Sea Power. Read it carefully. When you get to see about ten a day of these, only the truly memorable tend to stick. (Actually I wouldn't have bothered posting even this here had we not been discussing weird teachers over on another thread; that's what swung it really, though it is kinda funny nonetheless...)

Brighton-based quintet British Sea Power have not been nominated for this year's Mercury Music Prize.

The nominations for this year's Mercury Music Awards were announced today by Jules Holland at The Commonwealth Club in central London. The nominations include Radiohead, Coldplay, Martina Topley-Bird and Dizzee Rascal.

Alongside British Sea Power, artists not nominated for this year's Mercury Prize include Julie Driscoll, Placebo, Capercaillie, UB40, John Squire, Roy Harper, Nigel Kennedy and PJ Harvey.

As if not being nominated for The Mercury Prize wasn't enough news for one day, British Sea Power have been approached by the producers of Channel 4 drama Teachers. The programme-makers have requested to use the British Sea Power composition Memories Of Childhood in an episode of the programme. The song will be used in two particular scenes, which the producers describe as: Kurt Makes Tea For Everyone Except Brian and Simon Is Accused Of Losing Essays.

Date: July 22, 2003 10:43PM

Alison, how well do you do on the 'Dante coolness criteria'? There's hope for anyone if I'm cool!

Posted by: AlisonS (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: July 22, 2003 10:44PM

oh actually I get 100% (as long as I only have to buy the underwear!) Thanks DaveR that makes me feel much cooler...

Posted by: splat21 (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: July 22, 2003 10:48PM

and wear it, I mean (why can't I edit my post?)

_ _ _ _ _

If the English language made any sense, a catastrophe would be an apostrophe with fur.

Date: July 22, 2003 10:56PM

Glad to be of help. GOOD NIGHT SARAH.

Posted by: dante (---.mh.bbc.co.uk)
Date: July 23, 2003 08:22AM

AlisonS, you probably can't edit your post cos you weren't logged in when you sent it, it looks like!

I went into the Evesham shop yesterday, and the computers are pretty. I kind of want one of their desktops now...but no, I will get a laptop. Soon.

:--

Do something pretty while you can...

Posted by: ScarletBea (194.196.168.---)
Date: July 23, 2003 08:56AM

Ptolemy, I really enjoyed that!!!!!
It *is* cool :D

Oh, I've got a flat screen in my home computer (work is a laptop), silvery grey. Is that cool?

Posted by: Ptolemy (217.205.174.---)
Date: July 23, 2003 09:29AM

Thanks Bea; glad you enjoyed it!

I think right now flat screen's are on the cusp of coolness. Less than a year ago you would've really stood out from the crowd as they were the height of cool, but things move quickly in the world of computer fashion. TFT monitors are becoming almost ordinary now (shock, horror) - in another year the smaller 15" ones will even be edging towards Naffness. Silvery-grey does sound extraordinarily nice however. Just be sure not to stick a rear-view mirror on one corner (as that'd wipe out all of your Coolness points in one fell swoop) and, particularly if it's a 17" or larger one, you'll stand a good chance of remaining the Coolest on the Block for some time to come!

And yes Dante, Evesham computers really are very pretty, I agree. Definitely the PC of choice for the discerning Fforumite!

Posted by: kaz (139.134.57.---)
Date: July 23, 2003 09:47AM

Nothing good ever came out of Evesham.

Posted by: ScarletBea (194.196.168.---)
Date: July 23, 2003 10:06AM

Nothing remotely like a mirror stands even close to my screen!!!!

And nope, it's not that large. That one suits my needs fine, considering I spend my working hours (plus breaks ;)) in from of a laptop screen (which is fine, all things considered)

I'm not interested in being cool though. Not naff (*shock horror* too hehe), but just normal (which some people might say I'm anything but, considering my love situation *sigh*)

Posted by: poetscientistdrinker (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: July 23, 2003 07:05PM

Kaz: absolutely right. Both I and Evesham.com come from Bengeworth...

Bengeworth is Evesham's twin town, but not as famous as their bloody monks came and knocked our castle down. Whatever happened to 'love thy neighbour' huh? Best thing to happen to that side of the river was the Dissolution...

PSD

==========

This is the work of an Italian narco-anarchic collective. Don't bother insulting them, they can't read English anyway.

Posted by: kaz (139.134.57.---)
Date: July 24, 2003 12:20AM

All right! Nothing good ever came out of Bengeworth, then.

Somehow, it doesn't work as well second time around....

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.