New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5
Chocolate Holiday
Posted by: SLIGHTCAP (---.dalect01.va.comcast.net)
Date: July 30, 2003 05:26AM

Hello everyone! the US Fforumites are planning a trip to Hershey, Pa on November 7-9 ( Veteren's Day). Eveyone is welcome to come, including those of you overseas. For those of you who are wondering, Hershey is the place where the chocolate factory is. Come and join us. I am certain we will have lots of fun . See you there !!! More info to come as we plan it more thoroughly.

Post Edited (07-30-03 06:30)

Re: Chocolate Holiday
Posted by: Nicky (---.dsl.emhril.ameritech.net)
Date: July 30, 2003 05:27AM

Chocolate...yummy!

Posted by: kaz (144.139.77.---)
Date: July 30, 2003 08:26AM

Perhaps we Antipodeans (as PSD calls us) should have a trip to the Cadbury factory. Then I'd only have to drive down the troad for 10 minutes.

Posted by: Holly Daze (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: July 30, 2003 11:33AM

My dad used to work at the Mars factory in Slough. In the good old days when the factory used to have a shut down for the holidays they would empty the chocolate enrobing machines out onto big trays and day would come home with solid blocks of chocolate about and inch and half thick. This probably explains that while I still delight in the occasional choccy treat I'm more likely to snack on something savoury. Also explains why I only have three teeth left in the whole of my mouth!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
(I joke - honestly.)

Posted by: KT (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: July 30, 2003 11:38AM

STOP IT, STOP IT, STOP IT!
The big sack of chocolate is calling again.

Posted by: Simon (---.westsussex.gov.uk)
Date: July 30, 2003 12:41PM

I must go down to the shops again,
To the confectioners must go I;
And all I ask is some chocolate,
And some teeth to eat it by...

Warning! Product may contain Newts!

Date: July 30, 2003 12:53PM

Oh, I wish I looked after me teef!

Posted by: KT (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: July 30, 2003 12:54PM

My teeth have been capped - twice for England.

(The old ones are the best)

Posted by: Nicky (---.dsl.emhril.ameritech.net)
Date: July 30, 2003 12:57PM

Has anyone noticed that we know have 2 threads dedicated to chocolate. To get this one back on track (since I think I got us off on a chocolate tangent in the first place), Hershey over Veteran's Day weekend would be lovely. I've never been there.

Date: July 30, 2003 01:02PM

Do you think having two threads dedicated to chocolate is a problem? I certainly don't. We should have more.

'scuse me. Gotta get a drink of hot chocolate. I seem to have a craving, for some reason.....

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: July 30, 2003 02:53PM

Simon, you are so funny ---

Posted by: Magda (---.med.umich.edu)
Date: July 30, 2003 04:24PM

So how many folks are planning to come. I believe I should be able to make it, and if so I'll also bring a cake of some sort (probably chocolate). I'm guessing: Magda, Tracy, Nicky, Slightcap, AAC. Anyone else interested?

Posted by: Lycanthra Pod (---.dsl.pipex.com)
Date: July 30, 2003 05:10PM

Brings back memories of the Cadbury factory tour, the smell I remember it well, you get a little cup with liquid chocolate before it goes through the process of setting, tasted better than the final product.

Posted by: Skiffle (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: July 30, 2003 07:27PM

I hear that the old chocolate factory near the middle of Norwich has opened up again. I remember wandering around the city with the lovely smell of warm chocolate drifting in the air. I'm sure it wasn't part of the manufacturing process - they just vented the smell specially to encourage people to go and buy some.
The father of a girl at my junior school worked at the chocolate factory and used to donate huge sheets of silver, gold and purple foil to the school for craft projects.

Posted by: Ptolemy (---.range81-152.btcentralplus.com)
Date: July 30, 2003 07:35PM

Hey Pod, which chocolate factory was that - the one over near Keynsham? (now that will REALLY show the age of forum members if the first thing that springs to mind when you mention Keynsham is the football pools - and the second one is the Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band)

Alternatively there's the Nestles factory near Holt (except there's no badgers there) - or further afield the "home of Cadburys" at Bourneville... so much chocolate, so little time....

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.dalect01.va.comcast.net)
Date: July 30, 2003 08:02PM

OoooOOOh, I LOVE the idea of going to Hershey...been THROUGH it a zillion times on the way to the Poconos at Thanksgiving, but this will be a first for me. Sounds like lots of fun!

I'll start researching hotels. :) See if they'll give us a discount for a small group. Just have to make sure there's a definite non-smoking section...I'm EXTREMELY allergic!

Posted by: Nicky (206.166.29.---)
Date: July 30, 2003 08:09PM

Yeah, no smoking and definitely NO CATS!

Is anyone else here of the opinion that English chocolate just tastes better than American? Even when it's the same type (e.g. Kitkat, Nestle's Crunch, Cadbury's anything) the English version is somehow better.

(An extremely biased opinion from a former resident of a former British colony)

Posted by: dante (---.mh.bbc.co.uk)
Date: July 30, 2003 08:15PM

I agree, Nicky - I was going to make a comment along the lines of Hershey not being chocolate, but I chickened out...

:--

Do something pretty while you can...

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.dalect01.va.comcast.net)
Date: July 30, 2003 08:22PM

quick question...how many people interested in going will be bringing spouses/significant others/buddies?? Just trying to get an idea of how many rooms we might need and are there any of you who might be interested in doubling up in rooms? (will be @#$%&!)

My hubby will be coming, I'm sure (we'll leave our kitties at home, Nicky LOL)
and if Sarah L. wants a ride, I'm sure we can manage that. We'll have plenty of room!

If I can find a decently rated Amerisuites, we can probably get 3 people into a room, if y'all don't mind roomies. My hubby, of course, will just want a room for us. Besides, no one but me (and sometimes not even I!) want to be in the same room with him when he sleeps...he's a cacophony of surreal sounds!

Amerisuites is usually pretty nice...large rooms, good bathrooms and other good features like ironing boards and internet connections in the rooms... That's always nice.

Posted by: Magda (---.med.umich.edu)
Date: July 30, 2003 08:28PM

I was looking at hotels last night on travelweb.com, and I believe there was someplace with suites with 2 queen beds and a sofabed, for up to 5 people.

I'd be happy to double, triple or whatever else up to save money.

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.