New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5
Re: Chocolate Holiday
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: August 02, 2003 02:27PM

I only wish you had somewhere nicer you'd rather go. I'd quite forgotten you call that a holiday.

Posted by: Sarah (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: August 02, 2003 04:37PM

It's in the Lake District. I get taken out all over the place. It's quiet. There are no bratty kids banging on the letter box.

Believe me, that's a holiday!

..........................................................................................

That which does not kill us makes us stranger.
(Llewelyn the dragon, Ozy and Millie)

Sarah

Posted by: Skiffle (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: August 03, 2003 04:08PM

Sorry for repeating myself - not at all sure how that happened ! Better keep this message short, in case it happens again.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.dalect01.va.comcast.net)
Date: August 05, 2003 07:19AM

Hey Guys...

Riverdance will be playing while we're in Hershey....

Just looking up other events happening while we're there!

Date: August 05, 2003 07:34AM

We could also go to Lancaster county (Amish country) and look at crafts and such. And there are several wineries and breweries in Lancaster, too.

Events are a little limited due to time of year, but I'm sure if we bring backgammon, Guillotine and some other games, we can certainly amuse ourselves on the @#$%& if we want to!

Posted by: kaz (139.134.58.---)
Date: August 05, 2003 08:09AM

Is the guillotine for the rotten scum-bag who wins at back-gammon?

Date: August 05, 2003 08:30AM

lol, Guillotine is a really fun card game...

By the way, folks who are interested...

3 nights in some of the decent-ish hotels (Friday, Saturday, Sunday - checkout Monday) will probably run somewhere around $150 per person for the whole weekend (that's including taxes, etc). Could be a little less, could be a little more depending on exactly where we decide upon. This, of course, is based on double occupancy with 2 double or queen beds per room.

There is one hotel that looks really neat, which is in Reading, near the outlet mall, but about an hour out of Hershey. Looks like it'd be good accomodations for a great price. I guess it depends on what else we want to do while we're there.

Of course, if you decide to only stay the 2 nights, we can make arrangements on that later. But the sooner we get this figured out and get the rates locked in, the better!

Does anyone other than myself need special things like a handicap room or positively non-smoking? that kind of thing? Let me know!

Post Edited (08-05-03 10:16)

Posted by: Tracy (---.hyperion.com)
Date: August 05, 2003 01:22PM

AAC - Try looking at the Steamboat in Lancaster. I've been there before and it's quite nice and if IRC, @#$%&. They even have fridges in the rooms.

Besides, lots more to do in Lancaster.

Posted by: Nicky (206.166.29.---)
Date: August 05, 2003 03:42PM

AAC, crafts, wineries and breweries sound great (especially if we get to sample at the latter 2). Pick a hotel near a good pub. No special needs, although non-smoking would be nice. Happy to share although not mandatory. And, yes, I will be winning at backgammon!

Posted by: SLIGHTCAP (---.dalect01.va.comcast.net)
Date: August 05, 2003 03:51PM

We'll just see about THAT won't we.

Date: August 05, 2003 04:50PM

And the gauntlet is thrown into the gutter...

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: August 05, 2003 04:58PM

Is the gutter in the gutter?

Are the occupants too far gone to handle questions like that?

Date: August 05, 2003 05:18PM

Erm, yes.

Posted by: Tracy (---.hyperion.com)
Date: August 05, 2003 05:29PM

So, this will be a three way Backgammon war then.

Happy to take on the challenge.

Posted by: SLIGHTCAP (---.dalect01.va.comcast.net)
Date: August 05, 2003 06:29PM

HA HA HA HA hA HA . IIIIII will be winning at backgammon. So there!!!!!

Posted by: Magda (---.subnet-24.med.umich.edu)
Date: August 05, 2003 06:54PM

Er......

I would like to mention a couple of things.

1) The hour distance between Hershey and Reading is an extra hour further AWAY from me. I am already going to be driving almost 8 hours to get there. I'd prefer it wasn't 9. We picked Hershey in part because it wasn't as far from me as Reading, Lancaster or Philly. If I were picking solely for my own sake, we'd be in Pittsburgh (5 hours from me), but that seemed unfair to those on the East coast, since there are more of you. And the chocolate factory was an additional Fforum appropriate reason to pick Hershey.

2) My income is limited, and I have debts which I am trying to pay off. I am moving to my own place this month, which will increase both my debts and my cost of living.

In other words, if this trip ends up being over either my threshold for driving alone or my budget, I'm afraid I may have to pass.

I would be happy to share a room with as many people as are willing, or even to stay at a @#$%& hotel nearby if necessary, but I'd like to try to keep my costs relatively low. I'm also considering leaving Sunday afternoon or evening to save another night's accomodation cost, although that would likely mean getting home pretty late, or perhaps I should say early. That could also save me having to take Monday off work.

Mind you, I've no objection to a day trip to Reading or Lancaster, I'd just prefer not to have the hotel even further away.

Post Edited (08-05-03 21:03)

--------------
"I've often said that the difference between British and American SF TV series is that the British ones have three-dimensional characters and cardboard spaceships, while the Americans do it the other way around."
--Ross Smith

Date: August 05, 2003 09:46PM

this is why we're looking into stuff now, so we can make sure we accomodate everyone as best as we can. I realize this is a big trip for you, Magda...and I definitely understand the budget restrictions. The best we're probably going to get rate-wise in a non-rat infested hotel that doesn't reek of cigarettes and vomit is probably going to be about $75-85 a night per room, double occupancy. So split that cost per person and it's relatively reasonable. But I will keep looking. The search has only just started!

Magda, if you want to email me with your budget, I might be better able to find something appropriate that way.

Posted by: Magda (---.subnet-25.med.umich.edu)
Date: August 05, 2003 10:05PM

I won't know exactly until I see how the expenses work out during and after the move. I'm willing to spend some, I'd just like to keep it as affordable as we reasonably can, while still staying somewhere halfway decent.

Posted by: Jen (---.storm.ca)
Date: August 05, 2003 10:16PM

If I attend this soiree (and it looks like I probably will) I'm with Magda on trying to keep costs low as I also have the exchange rate to worry about. Stupid Canadian dollar.

But, as the only Canadian-type-person, I realise this isn't a consideration for most :-)

Date: August 05, 2003 10:22PM

Jen, please bring two forms of government-approved identification so that we'll know it's you and not your brother.

*hee hee*

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.