New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5
Re: Chocolate Holiday
Posted by: Nicky (206.166.29.---)
Date: July 30, 2003 08:29PM

Just me, and I'd be happy to share. (I did mention the outing to a non-Nextian friend who sounded interested. I told her she could only come if she read the books first.)

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: July 30, 2003 08:29PM

A recent TV item said that allergies were often in reaction to going to the cinema, where cat lovers left cat hairs on their seats.

I have a car full of cat hairs from being at Sarah's so much, and it's quite obvious which one of the four is responsible. However I don't seem to be allergic to cats, just irritated by certain members of the species. If you met Klinsmann you'd know why. Even Sarah would say so.

Date: July 30, 2003 08:33PM

When I started this job I couldn't figure out why I was sneezing all the time. I thought maybe the building was mouldy or something. Turns out, one of my co-workers was sleeping with his cats while his wife was out of town. Très étrange.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: July 30, 2003 08:47PM

What is all this about toffee? I don't get it. Lol.

---------------

Excuse me, my ear is full of milk. (Oliver Hardy)

---------------

A magnate is a thing that eats cheese. (Stan Laurel).
- or was it a magnet?

Date: July 30, 2003 08:56PM

heheheheheh Those were funny!

Douglas Adams wrote this piece that got published in 'The Salmon of Doubt' explaining certain words to children. That was part of his explanation for 'migratory'. It reminded me of the mammoth migrations and also the migration of the Perfectly Normal Beasts in 'Mostly Harmless'.

Toffee goes very well with chocolate, btw.

Posted by: Sarah (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: July 30, 2003 09:11PM

Agreed - Klinsmann is an incredibly irritating cat, especially if you happen to be another cat! Unfortunately he is also extremely cute. I know, it sounds like a contradiction, but you'd understand if you met him.

I asked Minsky to give his opinion on the subject, but if I tried to type it, it would be instantly Miaowdlerised.

..........................................................................................

That which does not kill us makes us stranger.
(Llewelyn the dragon, Ozy and Millie)

Sarah

Posted by: Magda (---.med.umich.edu)
Date: July 30, 2003 09:15PM

FWIW, the hotel with the large suites was the Springhill Suites By Marriott. Sadly, they appear to have rooms for Friday and Saturday night, but not Sunday night.

I'd like to keep things as affordable as possible myself, especially after my move next month increases my living expenses.

Date: July 30, 2003 09:29PM

Did anyone realize that veteran's day is a Tuesday? I'm supposed to be at work on Monday.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.dalect01.va.comcast.net)
Date: July 30, 2003 10:22PM

What about Columbus Day in October?? Would that work for people??

Date: July 30, 2003 10:35PM

works for me, but I don't think slightcap has it off.

I could use a vacation day (one of my precious 7), but if that's the case we could meet any weekend.

Posted by: Magda (---.med.umich.edu)
Date: July 30, 2003 10:50PM

I don't get either one off myself, or anything else until Thanksgiving. I do have prior commitments for several weekends though.

Posted by: SLIGHTCAP (---.dalect01.va.comcast.net)
Date: July 30, 2003 11:02PM

The official day for veteren's day is tuesday., but the bank holiday is on monday.

Date: July 30, 2003 11:35PM

but the City of Chicago holiday is Tuesday.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.dalect01.va.comcast.net)
Date: July 31, 2003 01:29AM

for people flying though, you could fly out on Friday night and fly home on Sunday evening if necessary...

the Monday thing would probably just be the driving home day for most of us...Saturday will probably be the big "Do" day. That's my guess anyway.

Posted by: Nicky (---.dsl.emhril.ameritech.net)
Date: July 31, 2003 01:41AM

That would work. Or I could use a vacation day.

Posted by: Tracy (---.hyperion.com)
Date: July 31, 2003 03:00PM

I'll just take vacation days for whatever is necessary.

I'll be solo on the room, I smoke and don't want to suffocate anyone.

Posted by: SLIGHTCAP (---.dalect01.va.comcast.net)
Date: July 31, 2003 03:09PM

I have no qualms about sharing a room, since I will probably be short on money anyways.

Date: July 31, 2003 04:22PM

I think I said it before--I'm happy to share. Is it just going to be 5 of us (plus AAC's hubby, of course)? Where are all the other Americans?

Posted by: AnnMarie (---.104.219.241.ptr.us.xo.net)
Date: July 31, 2003 05:00PM

I'd like to come, but just can't swing the time or finances. Maybe next time :)

Posted by: Skiffle (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: August 01, 2003 12:27AM

Fascinated to read the way you all speak of 'vacation days'. Of course, we don't normally use the word 'vacation' on this side of the pond; we have holidays. If I wanted a vacation day, I'd probably say I was having a 'day off' or 'taking annual leave' or 'a day's holiday', (or possibly 'pulling a sickie':) )

I read a newspaper feature a couple of years ago which said that most Americans have much less holiday than Europeans, and fewer bank (national) holidays. From memory, I think the statutary requirement for an approximately full-time job in the UK is minimum 20 days a year, plus about 9 days of bank holidays.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.