New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5
Re: Petrol Heads...
Posted by: Carla (---.zen.co.uk)
Date: March 09, 2003 09:46PM

i have nothing against the off topic thing, that is why i never put the email replies on, i just come here and read, but unfortunately there isn't a way to disconnect the email thing when the topic goes off track...

and PSD, i have more against ferrari than against Schumacher... if we meet one day I will show you my schumi pics (i even got one from when he was in benetton)

Posted by: poetscientistdrinker (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: March 09, 2003 09:50PM

Now I liked Benetton as a team back then. Partly because that 'up in the air' nose looked so cool, partly because I'm a contrary sod, and mostly because they knew how to cheat like mad.

PSD

==========

This is the work of an Italian narco-anarchic collective. Don't bother insulting them, they can't read English anyway.

Date: March 09, 2003 09:52PM

my fave car was the JPS Lotus in 85... not only it looked cool it was where Senna was brilliant on...

and the @#$%& with the snake head as well...

Date: March 09, 2003 09:54PM

That snakehead was a cool bit of doodling. Have you seen the Lotus with six wheels? Manic...

PSD

==========

This is the work of an Italian narco-anarchic collective. Don't bother insulting them, they can't read English anyway.

Date: March 09, 2003 09:56PM

Lotus? i though it was a Tyrell. need to find my F1 Encyclopedia to double check

Date: March 09, 2003 10:05PM

May have been - I only saw a few pics in a mag a few years back.

PSD

==========

Date: March 09, 2003 10:07PM

yeah, but with the current rules limiting the number of tires they would be at a disadvantage
:-)

Date: March 09, 2003 10:29PM

[www.f1nutter.co.uk]

PSD

==========

Posted by: skiffle (---.range217-44.btcentralplus.com)
Date: March 10, 2003 12:07AM

It was definitely the Tyrell that had six wheels. I grew up in Lotus country; the factory is only about three miles from where I'm sitting now. One year, at the village school fete, we had Fling A Wellie, Matchbox Mansion, Hook A Duck etc, and the white submersible Lotus Esprit from 'The Spy Who Loved Me', sitting in the playground.
My first actual paid job was at a steel construction company in Sheffield. Guess what one of their on-going jobs was ? Repairing the Lotus workshop buildings in Norfolk. Small world, ain't it ?

Date: March 10, 2003 12:23AM

yup, checked it out - it was the P34, IIRC. Check out the link above for a history of six-wheelers.

PSD

==========

Posted by: skiffle (---.range217-44.btcentralplus.com)
Date: April 07, 2003 11:59AM

Great race yesterday. Cars whizzing off all over the place thanx to magnificent balls-up by whoever decided that intermediates would do for rainfall in Brazil ! Lots of overtaking and emotional drama. Poor Ruebens - what has God got against him ?
Sorry for Fisci too. Fancied - sorry - admired, him since he arrived in F1 and I've been a @#$%& fan for a long time. Still, second was better than they hoped for and a drive and result like that will do the team's confidence good. Probably feeling better than Ferrari, in fact. :)
And Kimi looked pleased this time, on podium. Odd ceremony though, with third place driver on his way to hospital while trophies being given out. Oh, and Fisci's car bursting into flames in parc ferme.
More entertainment in one race than almost the whole of the last season.

Posted by: Carla (---.blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: April 07, 2003 07:47PM

i've just watched it in the highlights. yesterday i watched the start but then someone wanted to see the simpsons...
:-)

i think Fisi should have won!

Date: April 07, 2003 08:28PM

Does anybody not think he should have won? No? That'd be all of us then...

PSD

==========

Date: April 23, 2003 08:50PM

After this weekend I have to say that I've always admired Michael Schumacher's technical skill, and his desire to win. He's always seemd slightly arrogant with it, but this always seemed part of the package - the price of being the best. However this weekend saw something I never expected - dignity. To handle those pressures in such a way, without upsetting people and with absolute professionalism on the track, is the mark of a true champion. We rarely see racing drivers being human, and it's ashame it had to be in such circumstances.

=================

On a less sentimental note, I've spotted a problem with the new scoring. Fine, it makes it harder to establish a big lead in the championship, but it also makes it harder to close back in on a leader. I suspect this year's championship might be decided by a couple of retirements, rather than racing on the track.

What do you reckon, Carla?

PSD

==========

Date: April 23, 2003 10:32PM

I have to admit this time I actually wanted MS to win...

I think the points system is slightly more fair that last year. I mean Coulthard has been plagued by bad luck and is still on second place, because even being 4th, 5th you get more points than last year.

It will be harder to get to kimi, if he keeps being mr consistency, but that is what they set out to do with the new points system, reward consistency

Date: April 23, 2003 10:42PM

But under the current points system a driver can win four races, and crash out once, but only score the same as someone who comes second five times. Formula One has always been about driving on the edge, not percentages. Otherwise the mucking about by Ferrari last season wouldn't have been frowned upon, surely?

PSD

==========

Date: April 24, 2003 06:53AM

since i support one of the most unlicky drivers ever i'm quite glad of these new points...

i still remember the 9 for a win, 6 for a second, and i never liked to have 10 points for the winner.

Posted by: Auntysassy (193.132.206.---)
Date: April 24, 2003 09:42AM

Will someone explain to me what the point is to going round and round and round and round - you get the picture - a race track, trying to be first? Why don't they do it over a 100 yard sprint? Much more exciting and over much quicker so more time for decent programmes - hang on, this is ITV isn't it, they don't have decent programmes....hence formula 1

But I still don't see the point.

Posted by: Carla (198.179.227.---)
Date: April 24, 2003 10:40AM

:-P

you have to love it i think, it's not something you can watch indifferently

it's not something you can explain, if feeling your heart pumping faster when you hear the engines and smell the rubber on the track...

Post Edited (04-24-03 11:42)

Posted by: Skiffle (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: April 24, 2003 07:53PM

Sounds like Auntysassy would enjoy drag racing (which has nothing to do with men in dresses doing the 100 metres, although that might enliven the average athletics meeting).
Admittedly some F1 races can be dull. And last season wasn't up to much. But I love to hear the sound of the engines too. It's good to watch regularly so you learn about the people involved, and their past, and their grudges.
F1 is the biggest and most expensive soap opera in the world

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.