New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 6 of 10
Re: music
Posted by: skiffle (---.range217-44.btcentralplus.com)
Date: April 03, 2003 12:11AM

Sui-cider :)

Sounds like the sort of thing ex mentioned above was trying out as a teenager in Wiltshire.

Another friend (cat-breeding one), tells of how drunk he got at friends party, aged about 16. He woke up the next morning, in the broomcupboard, sitting astride the vacuum cleaner.

Posted by: poetscientistdrinker (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: April 03, 2003 12:13AM

I'm worried. I know that Media Player can spot lots of CD's online, but I can't believe that any set of records would be so complete as to recognise the "Hello!" album given away free with Q magazine at the start of 1997.

Although it does have some great music on it. I was sure it'd be too obscure though.

PSD

==========

This is the work of an Italian narco-anarchic collective. Don't bother insulting them, they can't read English anyway.

Posted by: dante (---.internal.omneuk.com)
Date: April 03, 2003 12:17AM

I had that. It had White Buffalo on, yeah? And something else with White in the name. Unless I'm wrong, and that was the one that had Octopus.

Does anybody know if there's a button i can press somewhere to make the threads go the other way up? ie new messages at the top? All this scrolling is annoying...

Date: April 03, 2003 12:21AM

Dante:
try pressing the space bar; should whizz you to bottom of page. Maddeningly this trick doesn't work on all web pages

Date: April 03, 2003 12:25AM

skiffle: cheers, that does work, but unfortunately i'm on dialup and still have to wait for them to load... still, that's an improvement!

Date: April 03, 2003 12:26AM

That'd be the one - White buffalo doing 'Hope Faith and You'. No other whites in there, but it also had Eels 'Guest List'on it(I bought the Eels album on the back of that plus Novacaine for the soul, and have grown up with the band as a soundtrack to my life ever since) and also Nicotines 'Mary Wana' - I saw them at the Phoenix, and they seemed really shocked that anyone should know the words.

It also had a little band by the name of Stereophonics, with Local Boy in Photograph. I saw them at the Phoenix, and there were three thousand of us crammed into a tiny tent. We all knew they would be big, and everyone felt so pleased to be in on the secret. They released the album two months later, and became so big you couldn't connect. I don't begrudge them the success, but I was glad I saw them then.

PSD

==========

This is the work of an Italian narco-anarchic collective. Don't bother insulting them, they can't read English anyway.

Date: April 03, 2003 12:35AM

Best bit about copying all your music to your hard drive - you can keep surprising yourself with old stuff you haven't listened to for ages.
Worst bit - you keep adding more music, and can't go to bed until you've added another CD. Now onto Goo Goo Dolls' Dizzy Up the Girl. Great Album - how could I have forgotten it?

PSD

==========

Date: April 03, 2003 12:36AM

Yeah, I saw the stereophonics that year too, at T in the Park. I saw a couple of songs, anyway (including Tramps Vest, which is still my favourite), and then we went and sat outside the tent near the entrance to the vip bit and star spotted.

we saw steve lamacq, and Snug. (who had one very good single, one mediocre single, and then disappeared, i think.) Oh, and James from the Supernaturals, looking grumpy.

Date: April 03, 2003 12:39AM

I remember the Supernaturals. They had three good songs, one per album.

Strangest thing at the Phoenix was a guy from the Nicotines being pissed off when iom mentioned my band covered Mary Wana.

In retrospect, I'm glad they never made it.

PSD

==========

Date: April 03, 2003 12:44AM

i loved the supernaturals. which songs did you like?

i'm going to try and sell some of my cds on ebay, since my mate told me a baby chaos single she has went for £200 odd last week...

Date: April 03, 2003 12:48AM

Erm, can't remember titles off-hand. Wasn't built to get up, Day before yesterday man and Smile, IIRC.

PSD

==========

Date: April 03, 2003 12:57AM

Yeah, Smile rocks. Unless it's being done badly for a TV commercial by an in-house band, of course. (Though I did join Smile bank, in the end, so maybe it worked.)

They played glasgow city centre on hogmanay 2001, from about 11-11.55. It was pissing with rain, and about 2000 blootered glaswegians were jumping up and down singing Smile. That was a great night, until some wee ned turned round, apparently mistook me for a lamppost (!), and peed on my shoes. That was nasty.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.dalect01.va.comcast.net)
Date: April 03, 2003 03:14AM

you know, I don't normally "hear" accents in the posts these days, but boy do I hear it with Dante!! LOL I love it!

Posted by: Sarah (---.vip.uk.com)
Date: April 03, 2003 06:47PM

I once wrote a set of stories called "Mac the Cat". They were narrated in the first person by Mac himself. He had a Glasgow accent.

Boy, those were hard to write... but great fun!

..........................................................................................

That which does not kill us makes us stranger.
(Llewelyn the dragon, Ozy and Millie)

Sarah

Date: April 03, 2003 07:10PM

Very enjoyable to read, an' all. Highly recommended.

Posted by: Sarah (---.vip.uk.com)
Date: April 03, 2003 07:17PM

Thank you! :-)

..........................................................................................

That which does not kill us makes us stranger.
(Llewelyn the dragon, Ozy and Millie)

Sarah

Date: April 03, 2003 08:27PM

Just spent a great couple of minutes playing my air guitar to 'Johnny B. Goode' and headbanging. Probably as well that Dad didn't come through here for anything.

Date: April 03, 2003 08:30PM

Re: bloke with vacum cleaner (way up above...) Been there, done that, some bugger printed the photo onto a t-shirt. I also "vacu-vin" -ed my face once. Big, purple, circular bruise for weeks.

PSD

==========

Date: April 03, 2003 08:33PM

Ha Ha Ha Ha !

Sympathically really, you know I am.

Date: April 03, 2003 08:35PM

Bugger ! Spotted sympatically instead of sympathetic roughly 0.001 sec after pressing 'post' button

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 6 of 10

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.