New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: 12345678Next
Current Page: 1 of 8
Pet Peeves / Pet Murderous Rage
Posted by: DisturbinglyAvidFfordeWorshipper (---.kpunet.net)
Date: June 04, 2007 06:42PM

I have one: I once heard someone on television complain of a propensity for 'diarrhea of the mouth'. Either she was talking about logorrhea, or she had discovered the most entertaining medical condition ever.

Re: Pet Peeves / Pet Murderous Rage
Posted by: MuseSusan (---.union.edu)
Date: June 04, 2007 08:57PM

Yeah, people getting their terms wrong when they're trying to sound smart is definitely a pet peeve of mine, even if it occasionally produces some very amusing malapropisms.

My biggest pet peeve is apostrophe abuse. My RA in my dorm recently put up a bulletin board outside the elevator discussing "Myth's about Drinking". I only made it two trips up the elevator before I finally couldn't stand it anymore, and finally scribbled out the apostrophe. Then there was the time I was in Macy's and the departments were labeled "Boy's" and "Girl's"…

Posted by: 198505 (---.cable.ubr04.pres.blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: June 04, 2007 09:12PM

Sorry abstaining from this thread till after thursday, at least the murderous rage part.

Pet peeves people giving me what think I want not waht I've asked for, and not listening when I'm stood there explaining what it is I want.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Blood! Death! War! Rumpy pumpy! Triumph!

Date: June 04, 2007 09:27PM

Apostrophy-wise, absolutely. It is an institutionalized stupidity where I live; you see it in shop windows, at the cheese-damned airport, in the writings of people whom I normally consider intelligent-ish. There also exists a much worse corollary (sp?) which I have seen on actual magazine covers. And not just stupid magazines; national, proffessional ones. Something like this (tabloid):

PARIS' PRISON HELL

tortured by sadistic prison gangs of roving midgets * electrocuted for fun by cellmate

You would think that just one Pari per prison would suffice, no?

Posted by: xmorpheus (193.95.170.---)
Date: June 05, 2007 08:52AM

Other people!

No really. Good example - in shopping centre, on one of those descalator ramps.

FAmily in front of us, with pram.

Decide to stop at the exit point of the descalator to have a long drawn out conversation while the rest of us do the descalator version of treading water because no-one can get past them to get off the bloody thing.

Posted by: SkidMarks (---.manc.cable.ntl.com)
Date: June 05, 2007 08:59AM

It is a very silly, very minor one, but since Jasper Carrott used the expression "Robin Reliant" in a comedy sketch, everyone repeats it. Not just comedians hoping to avoid lawsuits, but even in news stories.
The company is Reliant, the model is Robin. It is a Reliant Robin!

Posted by: Barefoot Andy (195.188.86.---)
Date: June 05, 2007 12:31PM

Apostrophe- wise, there are several restaurants in Birmingham whihc have signs saying

YOU'R WELCOME TO BRING YOUR OWN BOOZE.

And they are all identical signs, presumably from some manufacturer, with the same stupid mistake.

-------
Turn the silliness to eleven!

Posted by: Bonzai Kitten (---.static.dsl.dodo.com.au)
Date: June 05, 2007 03:16PM

Aussies must be a cut above you simple Northern Hemisphere types then. I haven't seen a badly punctuated piece of advertising for years! (cue pomposity)

And I think she might have meant *verbal diarrhoea* (as in using twenty words where one will suffice) by diarrhoea of the mouth. Might not be a commonly used expression elsewhere in the world, but it certainly is here.

Posted by: PrinzHilde (---.dip0.t-ipconnect.de)
Date: June 05, 2007 04:47PM

Ah yes, punctuation in advertising. Around here, every brand name nowadays ends with a period. If the name consists of multiple words, spaces are also substituted by periods. (Which, if you think about it, is a very old custom. I seem to remember seeing medieval manuscripts done with marks between every word.)

And if you want to sell things to the under-twenty-crowd, you have to use exclamation marks, instead.

Posted by: SkidMarks (---.manc.cable.ntl.com)
Date: June 05, 2007 04:47PM

The expression "verbal diarrhoea" is very common in the U.K.

Posted by: nemades (---.dsl.in-addr.zen.co.uk)
Date: June 05, 2007 10:15PM

Yup, I know many a sufferor of verbal diarrhoea.

Shame they don't make any Immodium + for the verbal variety, I always feel depressed when I watch a programme with stereotyped adverts, you really do begin to get paranoid!

Posted by: annie (---.vic.bigpond.net.au)
Date: June 06, 2007 09:22AM

I once had a checkout chick refer to another checkout chick with the statement: "She is so ignorant to the customers." Some ten years later I am still trying to decide what she said!

Apostrophes. Yes. Try reading "Eats, Shoots and Leaves" a perfect read for pedants and grammarsists (sp?) everywhere.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.hay.dialup.connect.net.au)
Date: June 06, 2007 11:26AM

Apart from the punctuation thing, one thing that gets right up my nose is the curious aversion people have to adverbs. "It was real good". No, it was really good. And text messaging language irritates me too. hd a riLy crp da. Well, so did I now that I've read your indecipherable message.

*goes and sticks head in swimming pool to cool off*

Posted by: MartinB (155.232.128.---)
Date: June 06, 2007 01:26PM

Looks like my lecture notes.

Although there I have my own shorthand. Then I write it all into a book afterwards.

Short run-down of the system:

Use caps for double letters. bEr = beer, really = reaLy
the = t
it = _
an, am = a
and = +
not = -
but = ^
ea becomes E
ie becomes E
ei becomes A

I am still working on it, but this I have managed to get working reasonably well.
becomes:
i a stiL working on _ ^ ths i have managed to get working rEsonably weL.

Also makes it more fun when someone asks to borrow my notes. Still need to find a systematic way of shortening long words, but without merely dropping the vowels.

- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

Date: June 06, 2007 08:00PM

'Verbal diarrhea' is fine -- the initial qualifier brings the message into the realm of intangibility, and, hence, designates 'diarrhea' as a metaphor. 'Diarrhea of the mouth', on the other hand, simply relocates the physical symptom to another part of the body. Eagh.

Posted by: MuseSusan (---.union.edu)
Date: June 07, 2007 04:36AM

Eats, Shoots and Leaves was a wonderful read--it made me feel vindicated in my urge to correct apostrophe abuse! I don't mind intentional odd grammar or spelling, like in your notes, Martin, although web speak really makes me want to claw my eyes out.

Posted by: Barefoot Andy (195.188.86.---)
Date: June 07, 2007 08:46AM

The opposite of Verbal Diarrhea is, of course Conversation Constipation

Posted by: MartinB (155.232.128.---)
Date: June 07, 2007 11:47PM

I use webspeak in conversation. But then we do it as a group, just a side effect of being online a lot I guess.

But then as a group we are odd....

- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

Posted by: Bonzai Kitten (---.static.dsl.dodo.com.au)
Date: June 12, 2007 01:45PM

I love most weird permutations and variations in language. txt tlk rx, btw! dit L33T. It's like watching evolution, but a LOT quicker.

Posted by: DisturbinglyAvidFfordeWorshipper (---.ketch.alaska.edu)
Date: June 12, 2007 11:24PM

Evolution good, stupidity bad.

Goto Page: 12345678Next
Current Page: 1 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.