New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: duty done - and it was fun !
Posted by: skiffle (---.range217-44.btcentralplus.com)
Date: April 02, 2003 12:15AM

Some of my friends won't drink cider any more, after a few youthful encounters - wonder why ...?
I prefer it to that nasty, girly beer. Have you checked the strength of a good cider, compared to a beer ?

Date: April 02, 2003 12:29AM

BTW: nothing wrong with a bit of rough in the morning !

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.dalect01.va.comcast.net)
Date: April 02, 2003 04:15AM

I used to have problems finding guys taller than I am. I'm 5'9" so that's pretty tall for a woman. And then there's the fact that I'm built like an Amazon...or at least a Pacific Islander! Finally landed a guy taller and just as broad LOL!

(My first fiancee was only 5'7" and had a 28" waist...we were like Jack Spratt and his wife!)

Date: April 02, 2003 12:02PM

I'm always unnerved when I meet a man who's my height or shorter. I had an older friend who was only an inch taller than me but it was OK with him. Very odd to dance with a man who's the same height. I'm far more used to shoulders and chests.

Posted by: dave (212.158.104.---)
Date: April 02, 2003 12:37PM

how short (tall) are you then?

Date: April 02, 2003 05:06PM

5'1"
How tall are you ?

Date: April 02, 2003 05:23PM

5' 9"

Date: April 02, 2003 05:32PM

A nice, sensible height

Date: April 02, 2003 06:23PM

You know, Skiffle, you're lucky...5'1" may be considered slightly short here in the US, but....

1. You'll always have plenty of legroom on an airplane
2. You'll always be able to find pants LONG enough
3. People won't stomp on you at movie theaters
4. You can have a big hair day and people can still see around you
5. You'll always have the chance of being called "cute"
6. When you get old, you can be called a "little old lady"
7. You never had to worry about getting expelled from school because they didn't make skirts that met the length requirements.

Can ya tell I'm a tad bitter? LOL

We had to shop around a lot before we found a mini-van with enough knee room for me to ride comfortably. (the majority of my leg length is from hip to knee, so it really messes with the leg room factor!) All my jeans are too short but thankfully, capri and ankle pants are in fashion again. Oh and did you know they don't make pants in tall lengths for larger women? They figure if you're fat, that you're short and fat! Drives me nuts. But that's a whole other ball of wax!

But there are plusses to being tall.

1. I can see over crowds at concerts.
2. My nose does not hit armpit level on most guys.
3. I can reach the top shelf in the kitchen without a step-stool, thereby saving time and energy while cooking.
4. I can reach the top shelves at the grocery store, thereby having the opportunity to buy the less expensive items if I so choose!

There are a few others too...but you get the point!

Date: April 02, 2003 08:34PM

Re: always being able to find pants long enough (trousers over here, 'pants' usually refers just to male underwear BTW). The problem is finding trousers *short* enough. Yes, I know I can take them up, but it's a nuisance and in something like a bootleg style, it can ruin the proportions.
Luckily, good old Marks and Sparks still stock skirts and trousers in different lengths.

Bought a pair of red velvet trousers from C&A closing down sale. I got them from the children's dept, designed for age 12. I still had to turn them up by 5".....

And I have hell finding clothes that are the right length in the body/sleeve. I own two petite size shirts that are so long in the sleeve that the cuffs cover my hand to my fingers. (Solution: turn cuff back; I'm so used to doing this I forget it might look odd to others.)
So many tops, shirts and jumpers that are designed to reach the top of the thighs finish somewhere around my knees ! Mini skirts often reach to an unflattering point just above the knee on me. Longer styles tend to look hopeless.

Being short makes it easier for me to get lost in a crowd. I can get to the front of a crowded bar by going in under men's elbows, but I've been in large crowds at concerts and being below everyone else's shoulder level can be quite frightening. You have no chance if they start shoving and swaying.

Posted by: dante (---.internal.omneuk.com)
Date: April 02, 2003 10:52PM

Re: trousers; I'm 5'3ish but my legs are ridiculously short for my height. I think they're about 28", when the "standard" length is 32. I haven't ventured into marks & spencers much, but i do spend a lot of time in dorothy perkins.

Found a pair of trousers today that didn't look too long (for my purposes, "too long" = "less than three inches longer than my legs"), but when i tried them on, it turned out they were hipsters.

And you're not supposed to be "short and fat" either. "Petite" trousers only go up to about size 12, usually.

(What are these "skirt" things you speak of? They are outside my experience... at least in the last 5, oh wait a minute, 10 years...)

Posted by: poetscientistdrinker (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: April 02, 2003 10:59PM

I'm 5'6"-ish

The annoying thing for me is I can't get th right leg size - I'm either treading on my heels, or they look short.

PSD

==========

This is the work of an Italian narco-anarchic collective. Don't bother insulting them, they can't read English anyway.

Posted by: dante (---.internal.omneuk.com)
Date: April 02, 2003 11:02PM

I thought blokes trousers were quite good for that - you generally got to choose a leg length as well as a waist size thingy?

Oh well. Go for the treading on them, unless it's a suit, that's my advice.

(and if you're wearing a suit with slightly short trousers (or trousers of any length, actually), remember not to wear white socks. Or ones with Bart Simpson.)

Posted by: Magda (---.med.umich.edu)
Date: April 02, 2003 11:07PM

Here in the states I see petites in the "Women's" (plus size) section regularly - usually in whatever I want the regular length in. But as Twila remarked, you virtually never see large sizes in Tall in regular department stores.

My mother is 5'10", and had to learn to sew in order to have clothes that fit, since no womens clothes came in tall in the '60s and early '70s. The problem she runs into is that most women's tall sizes seem to simply lengthen the leg (inseam) without also proportionally increasing the rise. Not comfy.

Fortunately, I am just over 5'6, and relatively normally proportioned, so I can usually wear clothes off the shelf. Although I have to qualify that to clothes designed for a person who actually has a bust.

While of average height, I am in fact short for my family. My dad is 6'2" and mom 5'10". My brother is 6'1". My father's 3 brothers are all over 6 feet (although their parents weren't especially tall). My mother's two brothers are 6'3" and 6'4". Mom's father was 6'4" and her mother was 5'8"--rather tall for a women in the '30s.

--------------
"I've often said that the difference between British and American SF TV series is that the British ones have three-dimensional characters and cardboard spaceships, while the Americans do it the other way around."
--Ross Smith

Date: April 02, 2003 11:11PM

True, blokes sizes allow you to choose a leg size. It's a choice between an inch too short (just noticeable enough to annoy) or an inch too long (just long enough to drag on the ground and soak up moisture, makin git obviously darker at the hem)

Post Edited (04-03-03 14:22)

PSD

==========

This is the work of an Italian narco-anarchic collective. Don't bother insulting them, they can't read English anyway.

Date: April 02, 2003 11:37PM

PSD: you could always try turning them up and (*gasp*) sewing them !
although it is a bloody nuisance just for about 1".
Or you could find yourself a women handy with a sewing machine

Date: April 02, 2003 11:40PM

I can do my own turnups, cheer. although it is too much hassle for such a tiny amount. Worst bit is that different shops have different inches, so it's pot luck as to what fits or not.

Same as my waist is anything from '27"' to '31"'

PSD

==========

Date: April 02, 2003 11:51PM

my hubby has a horrible problem...he's nearly 6' tall but he only has a 28" inseam!! And he has a low rise at that! So, if you take any pants off the rack and have him try them on, they'll always have a baggy butt and will almost always get ragged hems.

but the real problem is trying to find him shirts that are long enough! Now THAT is a pain. In fact we were trying to find him dress shirts last night! He has a large neck and a bit of a belly, so he needs "big" but to get them long enough, they rarely come in the right neck size and the sleeves are always WAY too long if we do find the body long enough. And even finding a body long enough is a challenge. Extra tall is pushing it at times!

We figure that if his lower body were proportionate to his upper body, he'd probably be about 6'6" or so...maybe taller. His torso is LONG! One of his brothers has long legs and a short torso. So between the 2, there's a "normal" body in there somewhere!

Date: April 03, 2003 12:05AM

My friend Mickey has problems finding clothes. He's just over 6' tall, and nearly that around (I'm not kidding, folks). A lovely guy though.

Date: April 03, 2003 09:12AM

re PSD's post about too-long legs making it obviously darker at the hem:

typo in there - makin git, makes a great insult.

"what are you doing, you makin git?"

superb. I shall use it today.

Reminds me of a time I was driving along a country lane in kent and saw a sign saying No Through Road.

I read it as Not Rough Road, which I though was
a. nice of them to tell me, and
b. highly unusual for country lanes in kent.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.