New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
Dodos rule
Posted by: BibwitHart (---.its.monash.edu.au)
Date: August 12, 2007 06:31AM

How good are dodos?!
I have wanted one for years, my next chook will be called pickwick.
However, until then I have started making crocheted dodos! They are fun to make and have buttons for eyes.

Does anyone here have experience in genetically re-engineering extinct lifeforms?

Re: Dodos rule
Posted by: SkidMarks (---.manc.cable.ntl.com)
Date: August 12, 2007 10:20AM

Almost all of us: that is how we met here........................

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

My computer beat me at chess, but I won at kickboxing

Posted by: bunyip (---.as1.adl6.internode.on.net)
Date: August 12, 2007 03:10PM

I think that conservative political parties have the secret. All around the world in all guises the same old creatures with brains the size of walnuts and with about as much intellectual capacity keep arising.

I am sure the world has changed slightly in the last century but it appears that these creatures are arising regardless of Darwin.

Posted by: MuseSusan (---.union.edu)
Date: August 12, 2007 08:56PM

I haven't genetically engineered a dodo, but I knitted one! Actually, it was just a few weeks ago, and I finished it in a mad rush, just in time to give it to Jasper at his book signing. So unfortunately I don't have any decent pictures. (Jasper and Mari took some pictures, though, so maybe they'll show up on the website.)

I'd love to see pictures of your crocheted dodos, though! I can knit pretty well, but I'm just learning how to crochet and getting excited at the possibilities it opens up!

Posted by: OC Not (68.121.255.---)
Date: August 14, 2007 12:19AM

Some dodo antimacassars (sp?) would be so cool! Although my cats would probably rip them to shreds before you could say 'genetically engineered extinct lifeform.'

Posted by: BibwitHart (---.its.monash.edu.au)
Date: August 14, 2007 08:44AM

Pity you can't post pictures on here! I took a couple using my inbuilt cam- I'd love to see your's!!
Crochet is the best! I make and design a lot of my own clothes ^_^
I reckon re-engineering dodos should be a top priority of governments, but I guess maybe they don't think in practical terms!

Posted by: OC Not (68.121.255.---)
Date: August 14, 2007 06:58PM

I think you can post pictures I just don't know how (I should probably read the guide)...

Posted by: Lycanthra Pod (---.dsl.pipex.com)
Date: August 14, 2007 09:06PM

Hi BibwitHart and welcome, I've been crocheting dodos as well, pink ones, striped ones, black ones... I even too time off to do the Potter Puppet Pals for my daughter, I can't knit for toffee, I think my mum disowned me when my squares looked like something from a Salvador Dali painting ho hum!

Posted by: BibwitHart (---.vicdir.schools.net.au)
Date: August 16, 2007 04:30AM

Yes! Crochet rules!

I want to make a really big dodo- the ones I have made so far are only a few inches high- more like little Alans.
Knitting is too much like hard work!

Does anyone else know how to post pictures?
Maybe they could let me know how- I get lost on this forum still! I have to stick to the walls....

Posted by: PrinzHilde (---.dip0.t-ipconnect.de)
Date: August 16, 2007 01:12PM

At the top of this page is a link to the guide to the Fforum. It is explained there.

Posted by: MuseSusan (---.dsl.irvnca.pacbell.net)
Date: August 17, 2007 04:13AM

I am learning how to crochet, and I suspect that once I'm good enough a crocheted dodo would indeed turn out better than the knitted one. You can't really turn corners in knitting, so I basically planned out some flat pieces of the right shape and sewed them together afterward, but the seams were kinda lumpy.

Posted by: BibwitHart (---.dyn.iinet.net.au)
Date: August 18, 2007 10:02AM

Crochet is great like that, you are unlimited!
Are you learning the Uk terminology or US? I work in UK and covert all US to UK. There are some great books available on crochet, even the slightly annoying text of the book titled The Happy Hooker is very useful!
MuseSusan, if I can help with any questions you have for crochet, you could email me: I check my uni one reasonably often.
I daresay not everyone wants to read crochet instructions! even for dodos ^_^

Good news! Jasper emailed me and is going to start a page for dodos! He liked my dodo and may use it on the site. I'm thinking of incorporating a dodo design in a woodwork design I will start soon hopefully.

I hope to check the forum instructions anyhow for posting pix.

Do weeks and days seem to be going faster and slower at the same time? I feel sometimes that I am doing way too much and not enough despite that.... must come with the job of teaching!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/28/2007 06:18AM by BibwitHart.

Posted by: MartinB (---.cache.ru.ac.za)
Date: August 18, 2007 07:26PM

For them as is too lazy to read the guide above, you simply use [ img ][/ img] without the spaces....

such:

http://astonslink.rucus.net/Pics/lunchtimeledge(small).JPG

Generally, prevent those with slow connections being unable to load pages fast enough and to keep everything tidy, it is better to just post a link to the picture in question:

same pic using the [ url=<insert url (including http:// if relevant) here>]random text telling what it is[/ url] again without spaces.

- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.hudd.cable.ntl.com)
Date: August 18, 2007 11:22PM

Nice pic.

Posted by: Bonzai Kitten (149.135.106.---)
Date: August 19, 2007 01:57AM

heehee... Happy hooker...

Posted by: BibwitHart (---.dyn.iinet.net.au)
Date: August 19, 2007 07:33AM

There is a book Iheard of writen for guys by a guy titled "Knitting with Balls"
Silly and sillier titles these days.
The Happy Hooker isn't a bad book, just a bit silly in the language: it is a stitch & bitch book.......

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: August 19, 2007 05:17PM

That's a great picture, MartinB, but I think it activated my vertigo.

Posted by: nemades (---.range86-131.btcentralplus.com)
Date: August 19, 2007 08:31PM

Yep, I definitely have sweaty palms looking at that! I also have a programme about a novice rock climber on in the background and about to watch Griff Rhys Jones's Mountain programme so I guess I am just in for a night of spinning head inducing images!

BibwitHart - I sympathise, I am starting my first day as a probabtioner tomorrow so have to entertain 22 5 and 6 year olds for the rest of the year - definitely too much to do and not enough time!

Posted by: BibwitHart (---.vicdir.schools.net.au)
Date: August 20, 2007 05:53AM

Thank you for all sympathy!
Much appreciated ^_^

In addition to having so much to do, I keep getting students asking if I am a new student. I haven't been 16 for 5 years.....
Good luck with the kids!

Posted by: DisturbinglyAvidFfordeWorshipper (---.ketch.alaska.edu)
Date: August 21, 2007 10:07PM

Personally, I would hate to have a crochety dodo. They can be vicious when they want to. That's why I add in happiness circuits in all of mine, no exceptions. They act like they're eating pudding all the time...

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.