New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Music
Posted by: Lymond (---.dynamic.dsl.as9105.com)
Date: September 02, 2007 12:19AM

I know this is a books board but there must be a music thread, my favourite artist came from a board reccomendation, so what does everybody listen to?

My all time favourite artist is Vienna Teng, but I also listen to a lot of Simon and Garfunkle, Al Stewart, AFI, Alison Krauss, Nightwish, Guns n Roses and anything else that takes my fancy. I also confess to owning more than 8 Sarah Brightman cds :-)

Re: Music
Posted by: Bonzai Kitten (58.163.132.---)
Date: September 02, 2007 01:42AM

There are too many to mention, I'm afraid. My newest purchase, however, is Midnight Juggernauts, "dystopia". It is rather wonderful.

sfgjsfgh
Posted by: Shakespeare (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: September 02, 2007 01:53AM

sfghsfgjfgj

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/26/2007 04:54AM by Shakespeare.

Posted by: PrinzHilde (---.dip0.t-ipconnect.de)
Date: September 02, 2007 03:38AM

I was just listening to a recording from a jazz festival: Sex Mob with DJ Olive - amazing! Normally, you get HipHop using samples from jazz pieces. This was the first time I heard it the other way round: a DJ as fully integrated member of a jazz ensemble. It was absolutely groovy!

Posted by: bunyip (---.as1.adl6.internode.on.net)
Date: September 02, 2007 12:49PM

Any singing where one can hear the words. Understanding the words is optional.

Any music which can exist without having a dominating machine driven bass beat that compresses the hearing and the mind. I've worked in spinning and weaving sheds at Actil and the machines are more musical than'techno' music (sic).

Music for Thursday's films:

Baroque for the quieter periods; Wagner and Prokofieff for the war scenes and some Albioni and Monteverdi for the post war memory scenes.

Any other suggestions?

Maybe 'Variations On Nursery Rhyme Themes' for Jack Spratt.

safgjhsfghj
Posted by: Shakespeare (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: September 02, 2007 04:04PM

sdhdghfjfj

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/26/2007 04:54AM by Shakespeare.

Posted by: 198505 (---.cable.ubr04.pres.blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: September 02, 2007 05:13PM

Currently have on Faith No More's Epic, which explains my post in the game must go on thread.

Late 80's early 90's rock for me, and a fair bit of the rock new stuff, and a large dollop of the 'indie' sound thats big again these days.

Yes I do know that all of them are signed to the big labels little Indie label

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Blood! Death! War! Rumpy pumpy! Triumph!

Posted by: BibwitHart (---.vicdir.schools.net.au)
Date: September 03, 2007 03:08AM

I agree with Shakespeare! Altough I sing myself, I believe that without the band a singer is nothing- especially a damn good bass line ^_^
I play drums as well..

There is way too much vocal aerobatics these days.
I like lots of stuff:
Beatles, Kinks, Deep Purple, SpinalTap, Tom Waits, Fionn Regan, Emiliana Torrini, Jethro Tull, The chieftans (Irish), Clare Bowditch, Surf music, Reggae- Skatalites and Marley, Brazilian Choro and Fojo.. Lots! I can't remember all the names. My Dad is a Muso by profession. He is on tour with a trio, playing Brazilian music.

Posted by: mr puniverse (---.104.69.90.optusnet.com.au)
Date: September 03, 2007 04:28PM

Aussie artists that most here wouldn't have heard of like Paul Kellybrilliant song writer painting pictures with words and can rock out too

A Kit Kat is a Biscuit

Posted by: MartinB (---.cache.ru.ac.za)
Date: September 03, 2007 08:40PM

Let me see....

Nightwish, Iron Maiden, Simon & Garfunkle, Worm Quartet, Ookla the Mok, Cutting Jade, Hans Zimmer all did some good stuff for offhands that I can name....

Otherwise, anything that is not (c)rap, techno/dance/rave etc or gospel. I do have some rap, but it is all humourous stuff so I can live with it.

Filk in general.

- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

Posted by: Bonzai Kitten (58.163.131.---)
Date: September 04, 2007 12:24PM

I dunno, there are a fair whack of aussies that seem to congregate here. Most of us probably know about Paul Kelly. Techno is like all other music. A lot of it is rubbish, but some is magic.

Posted by: The Cookster (217.154.169.---)
Date: September 04, 2007 12:58PM

Finding it hard to believe that given the number of our Aussie bretheren (and whatever the female equivalent is - if indeed there is one!) that nobody has yet mentioned those infamous Scottish-Aussie rockers - AC/DC. (Or have they been metioned and I just missed it?)

Date: September 04, 2007 01:06PM

One doesn't just *mention* them... One burns incense and kneels at the alter first.

Posted by: OC Not (68.121.255.---)
Date: September 05, 2007 07:44PM

I also have too many to mention, but here's some...

Beatles of course. Lately it's been some oldies (for me) Portishead, Jane's Addiction, Lucious Jackson, Sonic Youth. And oh yes, when your boss does something insufferable, it's nice to have Metallica.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.199.9.67.static.012.net.il)
Date: September 06, 2007 10:28AM

Happy Birthday Roger Waters :)

Posted by: Zuki-pah (---.nsw.bigpond.net.au)
Date: September 06, 2007 11:11AM

I like a bit of everything - except for hard, screaming rock and techno. I quite enjoy a bit of country and am particularly fond of Sara Storer.

<ducks for cover behind sofa>

'Who looks after the animals?'

Posted by: Jazz_Sue (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: September 07, 2007 11:17AM

Shakespeare Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Mostly jazz these days. T
> Anybody into jazz?
>
> Uh-oh.... I hear the heavy tread of the jazz
> police coming to get me...
>
> Gotta go!

Naturellement! (But see my theparate thread for the most 'unjazzy' thing I've done all year!)

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.eu.prnews.net)
Date: September 07, 2007 11:32AM

Quite a variety of things, actually, as long as there's no warbling (makes me cringe - has no-one told these ladies that vibrato is an effect that should be used in moderation, and that they just can't control it?) and the lyrics are not just a random collection of words that rhyme (most 'girl bands' seem to suffer from this plight).

Posted by: Jazz_Sue (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: September 07, 2007 12:10PM

BibwitHart Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I agree with Shakespeare! Altough I sing myself, I
> believe that without the band a singer is nothing-
>
> I play drums as well..
>
> My Dad is a Muso by profession. He is on tour with a
> trio, playing Brazilian music.

Oo Bibwit, a man unto my own Hart! I do a bit of singing, jazz/soul/blues mainly, and I'm told I'm pretty good - want to take it further but the only musician in my family, my dad, was a classicist and besides, he's dead. Stuck with backing CD's at moment, but I'm trying to put a little band together. My favourite singer? Female - Nina Simone or Diana Krall, both of whom I can cover in the written keys. Best all over? George Michael, by a mile. His best gig? The intimate little one he did for MTV a few years back, where he said hallo to his Mum, who was in the audience but died of cancer not long after. His best album? 'Songs from the last century'. By a mile. Catch his versions of 'Brother can you spare a dime' and 'Roxanne' (I cover that one, the way he did it) I've got the written music for the album, for piano/guitar/vocals but sadly can only manage the last of the three. Anyone out there in the Surrey/Sarf Larndon area want to make beautiful music with me? Pref. someone who can do jazzy keyboards and isn't too 'precious' with their own ideas? Jazz musos can be pretty scathing of singers - usually, with good reason I have to say.

Date: September 08, 2007 12:41PM

Actually, I must confess, I quite like Georgie boy too, sometimes. Do you like Dave Matthews, Jazzy?

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.