New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

ThursdayNext :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
A discussion of all things Thursday !  
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: Internet dating
Posted by: poetscientistdrinker (---.rdg.ac.uk)
Date: January 30, 2003 11:28AM

<HTML>
Well, me doing anything athletic is probably a false persona to start with, so... Although AAC is right - if I'd been concentrating on what I was doing I probably would have been clinging on like a limpet. Chatting to people face-to-face is fine, except it's sometimes hard to start a conversation without looking like a nutter. Seeing as many of my conversations start with 'Excuse me, I couldn't help but notice you were reading a particularly fine book by Mr Fforde...", I may be well up in the 'nutter' stakes.</HTML>

Posted by: Rob (---.leeds.ac.uk)
Date: January 30, 2003 11:42AM

<HTML>It depends on what you're after. As one of my workmates delightfully
put it. "Don't worry about a girlfriend. Just get yourself some totty"

If I were just wanting some girl, then perhaps I could give some
short term impression of some normalcy. However, any genuine
girlfriend would have to be prepared for the fact that I'm mad as a
fish (but lovely with it). It's a self-fulfilling prophecy. I don't go out
with many girls but the ones I do last quite a while and I get on
well with.</HTML>

Posted by: poetscientistdrinker (---.rdg.ac.uk)
Date: January 30, 2003 12:24PM

<HTML>Hmm, spent far too long dating 'just girls'... You know - the ones who seem to have a load of annoying habits that emerge after the first month, who can't understand why I'd repeatedly get out of bed at 5 to go rowing, who can't understand why a 'scientist' might possibly want to shoot off to London to see the Tate and who, in one memorable case, actually objected to me reading a newspaper everyday... And then you get the problem of chucking them, which is something I've never been very good at, but it's better than waiting for them to chuck you. Finding a decent excuse is hard though - the only time I felt justifies was when a gf spent six weeks of holiday making endless excuses to stop me visiting her and not even phoning when she said she would. Before you all think she was trying to tell me something, as soon as we got back to uni she tried to move into my house full-time.</HTML>

Date: January 30, 2003 01:07PM

<HTML>I have to confess, I can't understand why you'd want to go rowing at 5 am.
I did it one term and after that stuck to crews who went out in the afternoon.
Far more civilised...

However, there are very few girls (indeed people) who appreciate that if you
finish an ergo (rowing machine session) without throwing up then you've
plainly not been trying hard enough.</HTML>

Posted by: Sarah (---.vip.uk.com)
Date: January 30, 2003 01:13PM

<HTML>H'mm. Rob, I sympathise with your problem - being as mad as a fish, that is. The cats are possibly an added complication in my case. After all, a man can be as perfect as he could be in every other respect, but he's no good to me if he can't relate to Their Feline Majesties. Love me, love my cats... :-)</HTML>

Posted by: fuzz (---.cableinet.co.uk)
Date: January 30, 2003 01:15PM

<HTML>My, we are an angsty lot this morning. Where as I'm in an unshakably good mood, despite nasty hard exam tomorrow, (see abouve for possible resons) In fact it's now wonderfully sunny down here in exeter, maybe it does justify the name of sunny exeter after all.
And rowing? Stick a sail on, then it's a boat, not before. :-p</HTML>

Date: January 30, 2003 01:33PM

<HTML>Don't worry Fuzz. You're time will come...

Can I also add that I don't consider my being mad as a fish a problem.
It's part of my unique charm...</HTML>

Date: January 30, 2003 01:39PM

<HTML>Well, yes, I feel much the same way. Unfortunately a lot of men run away screaming, "She's crazy! She's crazy!" Tasteless bunch...</HTML>

Posted by: fuzz (---.cableinet.co.uk)
Date: January 30, 2003 02:10PM

<HTML>Sorry, chances are I'll shut up about it soon enough, just pleased with myself is all. *smug grin*</HTML>

Re:How I met My 3rd Boyfreind
Posted by: Ooktavia (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: January 30, 2003 07:24PM

<HTML>Since you felt tantalized...... (and I have an exhibionist streak 3 miles wide)

The story opens on Millenium Eve. I go to a freind of a freind of a freind's party, in London, and we have a tremendously fun (booze) time, until we head down to the river and find everyone has taken all the spots that are not, in fact, muddy river bank. Stand on muddy river bank, watch freind eaten by gloopy mud hole.
I only go ankle deep. I have fun conversation with 3 total strangers.
I fish friend out, we watch fireworks, we depart via hideous tube hell home. Friend has lost shoes to sucking mud, the way my shoes smell afer mudbath, I wish I lost mine.
Flash forwards a month or so. I am now unemployed, and have much lesuire. I live in London, and the best place to get a free read in the warm, is the Waterstone's in Piccadilly, London, as it is so large- the largest bookstore in Eurpoe, no-one recognises you or cares how long you stay there. I decide to leave. Going down the stairs I see a bloke I know I know, but can't remember his name. He clearly feels the same. Are we going to speak????

As we stare at each other, Salman Rushdie and bodyguards walk down the stairs.

So, of course, we start talking. Firstly about SR, then about each other. We realise we know each other from the bank of the Thames. We decise to go and have a juice at the instore juice bar.

And that's that. If only I'd fallen more in love with him or he with me, we could be telling this story to our children.

(pause) Thank God we didn't.</HTML>

Posted by: poetscientistdrinker (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: January 30, 2003 10:45PM

<HTML>lol

Going back to electronic dating, has anybody else pulled purely through the judicious use of text messaging? It's great being good with words.

sometimes...</HTML>

Posted by: Simon (---.lancing.org.uk)
Date: February 08, 2003 01:52PM

To Sarah...
How MANY cats?

Posted by: Simon (---.lancing.org.uk)
Date: February 08, 2003 01:55PM

Text messaging? just wait a while and they'll invent text massaging :-).

Re: Book jumping
Date: February 08, 2003 04:40PM

To Simon: Four. Chomsky, Minsky, Klinsmann and Heidi. Minsky is the scarily intelligent tabby who occasionally posts on the Fforum.

Post Edited (02-08-03 17:41)

..........................................................................................

That which does not kill us makes us stranger.
(Llewelyn the dragon, Ozy and Millie)

Sarah

Date: February 08, 2003 04:42PM

I had to edit the above post because I accidentally pressed the wrong button... some time soon I'm going to get to grips with this new fformat... :-S

Date: February 08, 2003 04:53PM

Text massaging is possible, as long as your phone is set to vibrate.

Probably best to leave that train of thought right there... (new fforum - same old PSD)

PSD

==========

This is the work of an Italian narco-anarchic collective. Don't bother insulting them, they can't read English anyway.

Date: February 08, 2003 04:56PM

Oh, Ben, go and have a cold shower... lol

..........................................................................................

Sarah

Date: February 08, 2003 05:10PM

I have no option - I live in a house with a cold shower - except it comes and goes - one minute it'll be scalding your skin off, the next would freeze the balls off a brass monkey.

Interesting fact - 'freezing the balls off a brass monkey' has nothing to do with the genitalia of forged primates. And probably just as well. It's a nautical (but nice, arf) phrase... The rack that cannon balls were stored ready for use upon was referred to as a monkey, and wooden ones were replaced with brass, after which it was discovered that cold weather caused the brass to contract and the balls to fall off. Hence the phrase.

Aren't I an annoyijng smart-arse sometimes?

PSD

==========

This is the work of an Italian narco-anarchic collective. Don't bother insulting them, they can't read English anyway.

Date: February 08, 2003 05:43PM

Yes... but a very interesting one! I'll tell that one to my friend Irene - it's the sort of useless information we both enjoy.

Sarah

help wanted
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.30.182.16.Dial.Boston1.Level3.net)
Date: February 09, 2003 08:57PM

I once saw an ad in our local paper looking for a "message therapist". Whoever it is must get some rather traumatic mail...

Shadow

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.