New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: PreviousFirst...101102103104105106107108109110111...LastNext
Current Page: 106 of 132
Re: Animal, Vegetable or Mineral?
Posted by: delacuesta (---.g-star.com)
Date: March 05, 2013 01:29PM

My apologies for being off-minded lately. And thank you Mysticat for reviving the game for me.

0) It is primarily vegetable, with some mineral traces.
1) It is not coco de mer.
2) Do you own one? Yes. (and being proud of it)

Posted by: OB (---.range109-158.btcentralplus.com)
Date: March 05, 2013 05:57PM

3) Some sort of Pot-plant?

Posted by: delacuesta (---.adsl.xs4all.nl)
Date: March 05, 2013 11:54PM

3) Some sort of Pot-plant? No.

Posted by: OB (---.range86-184.btcentralplus.com)
Date: March 07, 2013 02:51PM

4) could it be, well, just a garden in the rain?

Posted by: OB (---.range86-184.btcentralplus.com)
Date: March 07, 2013 02:51PM

4) could it be, well, just a garden in the rain?

Date: March 07, 2013 08:49PM

4) could it be, well, just a garden in the rain? 4) could it be, well, just a garden in the rain? Although I admit that the repetition adds to the poetical potential, I regret to have to say that it doesn't even slightly resemble anything like a garden, nor indeed anything like rain. In short: No.

[wonders when the breadbox question would come about]

Posted by: OB (---.range86-177.btcentralplus.com)
Date: March 08, 2013 03:50PM

5) So, Have you got moss growing in your breadbox?

Date: March 08, 2013 10:51PM

4) could it be, well, just a garden in the rain? No.
5) So, Have you got moss growing in your breadbox? I had to discard the last breadbox I owned because something was starting to grow in it, and unfortunately it was not moss. The item I have in mind would have fitted into it, but only in single - a pair wouldn't.

Posted by: OB (---.range86-152.btcentralplus.com)
Date: March 10, 2013 10:09AM

6) Is the vegetable cooked.?

Date: March 11, 2013 01:35PM

5) Have you got moss growing in your breadbox? No. The item I have in mind would have fitted into it, but only in single - a pair wouldn't.
6) Is the vegetable cooked? No, not "cooked", although some kind of heating is usually applied to it for the last century or so.

Posted by: MistyCat (122.58.102.---)
Date: March 12, 2013 04:54AM

"vegetable, with some mineral traces"
"some kind of heating is usually applied to it for the last century or so"

How did you find out about my mother-in-law's meatloaf?

Is the item for wearing?

Date: March 12, 2013 11:07AM

I assume any similarity between whatever meatloaf dish and the item I have in mind to be utterly accidental.

5) Have you got moss growing in your breadbox? No. The item I have in mind would have fitted into it, but only in single - a pair wouldn't.
6) Is the vegetable cooked? No, not "cooked", although some kind of heating is usually applied to it for the last century or so.
7) Is the item for wearing? In the sense of clothes, shoes, etcetera: No. In certain other senses, the verb "to wear" is applicable to the item, though.

Posted by: OB (---.range81-152.btcentralplus.com)
Date: March 14, 2013 10:09AM

8) Is the vegetable element wood? (would that we knew)

Date: March 15, 2013 10:30AM

7) Is the item for wearing? In the sense of clothes, shoes, etcetera: No. In certain other senses, the verb "to wear" is applicable to the item, though.
8) Is the vegetable element wood? (would that we knew). I had to look up this one: It would be wood if the definition of wood would allow for such an interpretation. In normal usage it does not. Confusingly, the generic name for the item (mind I'm asking for a specific) is named after some kind of wood even though technically it isn't nowadays.

Posted by: EgonSpengler (---.mat.aber.ac.uk)
Date: March 18, 2013 09:51AM

Is it worn ornamentally?

Date: March 19, 2013 11:58AM

Egon, good to hear from you.
I'm afraid you misinterpreted my answer to question 7. There are two distinct meanings of the verb "to wear" that apply to my item, but neither has to do with bodywear, be it functional or ornamental.

5) Have you got moss growing in your breadbox? No. The item I have in mind would have fitted into it, but only in single - a pair wouldn't. [edit: an average breadbox might contain about four]
7) Is the item for wearing? In the sense of clothes, shoes, etcetera: No. In certain [edit: two] other senses, the verb "to wear" is applicable to the item, though.
8) Is the vegetable element wood? (would that we knew). I had to look up this one: It would be wood if the definition of wood would allow for such an interpretation. In normal usage it does not. Confusingly, the generic name for the item (mind I'm asking for a specific) is named after some kind of wood even though technically it isn't nowadays.
9) Is it worn ornamentally? No. The item as it stands can be ornamental, though.

I now see that my original answer two question 5 could be misleading. My last breadbox was rather small which made me state it could contain at most one item. Reconsidering I must admit that an average breadbox might contain about four.

Since we are heading halfway and no-where near to even the generic description of the item, let me hint that this generic has appeared in this thread before.

Posted by: OB (---.range109-150.btcentralplus.com)
Date: March 19, 2013 08:42PM

100 The heating element baffles me. Is it constant heat or is it needed in cold weather? For the last century or so!!!!.

Date: March 20, 2013 10:34AM

5) Have you got moss growing in your breadbox? No. The item I have in mind would have fitted into it, but only in single - a pair wouldn't. [edit: an average breadbox might contain about four]
7) Is the item for wearing? In the sense of clothes, shoes, etcetera: No. In certain [edit: two] other senses, the verb "to wear" is applicable to the item, though.
9) Is it worn ornamentally? No. The item as it stands can be ornamental, though.
10) The heating element baffles me. Is it constant heat or is it needed in cold weather? Neither. The heat is applied temporarily in a part of the fabrication process, in order to bring about a physical rather than a chemical change.

Pretty much of the components should be obvious by now.

Posted by: MistyCat (122.58.102.---)
Date: March 21, 2013 04:27AM

Is it printed matter?

Date: March 21, 2013 07:30PM

[exalted mode on] Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! [exalted mode off]

Now for the particulars.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...101102103104105106107108109110111...LastNext
Current Page: 106 of 132

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.