New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5
This is all Dante's fault
Posted by: jon (---.abel.net.uk)
Date: July 09, 2003 03:09PM

[ .... she gave out a pun challenge, and I just had to take it up. Ahem: ]

First of all, before I get up on my perch and start to waffle and flounder, can I just say that these dace it's not often I get asked to accept such a sole-searching assignment. Normally I would tend to get a little tench about ths kind of thing, but I shan't carp; it is a mission that can only bring a ray of hope to punsters everywhere, making smiles bream from all their faces. I'll have a dab at it, anyway. I shall in the first plaice skate over the thin ice of the question of whether one should pun at all, but move straight on to the porpoise of this post. At the (as I think you'll see) bass of the problem is how to create a critical mass of puns, without setting off the trigger that would cause people to hake me more than they already do. I shall approach the matter incisively, like a sturgeon, and try not to shrimp from the consequences.

Being as I am a little hard of herring, I often hear puns where none exist, but if I pilchard enough I can usually work out what's going on; some puns are just too bad, though, and even I would reject them if they smelt enough. Punning is easy, but failing is the easiest kind of -ling there is, and if I'm not to look like a complete pollock I need to be on my gurnard the whole time. Now, as to this post; I could always fillet with sarcasm and other barbels, but that would be shellfish. I suppose I'm lucky in that while old enough to remember the '70's, I never had a mullet, but on the other hand I never had enough money to be a guppy, so it all balances trout in the end. Taste in these matters is always subjective, but perhaps the ideal solution would be to have some kind of tuna that could home in on people's sense of humour; this is, I realise, an impossible bream, but there's no need to be koi about what I'm trying to achieve. Who knows, some people might pike it. What makes it wrasse - the Achilles' eel of the whole project - is that some people just do not find puns funny. Hard to credit, I know, but perhaps we could reach even these if we just offered them the white bait. As the kipper of the flame of punning on this fforum, I feel it my duty to work constantly - to sweat rudd - to keep this form of wordplay alive, even if some would prefer I kept the cichlid on it. I intend to keep the flame alive, to shed light on the wonderful world of puns, for what other use has a lamp, pray? Sometimes you have to roe your own boat.

Salmon once said that sarcasm is the lowest form of wit, but this is, cod knows, not always par for the course. Fish puns are, and I'll scampi off quickly and clam up before you all get sharky with me. I just have to do these things once in a whale, but for now I'll leave you with the sound of Liza Minnowly singing 'Moray Makes the World Go Round' from the hit musical 'Craberet'. Feel free to dance the conger. I've been Mac Kerel, and it happened in manta ray.

Re: This is all Dante's fault
Posted by: Magda (---.med.umich.edu)
Date: July 09, 2003 03:17PM

I'd managed not to laugh until I got to the "lamp, pray?".

Just the caliber of work I'd expect from you, Jon.

(and I'll leave it to you to decide if that was an insult or a compliment).

Posted by: Rob (---.leeds.ac.uk)
Date: July 09, 2003 03:20PM

That's more than 100 words !! (which I believe was the challenge)

v. good though.

Posted by: Carla (198.179.227.---)
Date: July 09, 2003 03:25PM

Where is that *groan* macro?

Posted by: Holly Daze (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: July 09, 2003 04:44PM

I codn't stop laughing, whelk done.

Posted by: Auntysassy (193.132.206.---)
Date: July 09, 2003 04:51PM

floundering around the floor laughing.

Posted by: poetscientistdrinker (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: July 09, 2003 06:24PM

dolphink you'll get a ray with this.

PSD

==========

This is the work of an Italian narco-anarchic collective. Don't bother insulting them, they can't read English anyway.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.dalect01.va.comcast.net)
Date: July 09, 2003 07:26PM

you missed one Jon...a perfect opportunity!

" to shed light on the wonderful world of puns"

could have been

"to SHAD light on the wonderful world of puns"

hehehehe, just HAD to get you!

Posted by: Sarah (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: July 09, 2003 07:33PM

I'm just... stunned...!

..........................................................................................

That which does not kill us makes us stranger.
(Llewelyn the dragon, Ozy and Millie)

Sarah

Date: July 09, 2003 08:02PM

Do you begudgeon him?

I want a go now...

Jon: what exactly were you angling for with this? Or were you just fishing for compliments? Or is it something to trawl through in the purse-suit of happiness? These jokes should be seine but not heard, if you catch my drift - I'm casting around, but only out of otter boardom. Maybe I've gone to pot, as this is a bit of a dredge, and I'm dragging a long-line out here. I just hope no-one floats in and starts trolling, or I'll call them a fyke-ing idiot. And yes, this is a rather lame-parady using fishing terms off the net.

That's 16 rather bad puns in exactly 100 words... Not bad, one feels.

Two parrots on a perch. One says 'can you smell fish round here?'

PSD

==========

This is the work of an Italian narco-anarchic collective. Don't bother insulting them, they can't read English anyway.

Posted by: kaz (139.134.57.---)
Date: July 09, 2003 10:58PM

Jon - absolutely excellent. Brilliant, in fact! The Bard himself couldn't have managed it. (and probably wouldn't have wanted too...)

PSD - Don't give up your day-job. Oh, wait! You don't have one. In that case, don't get out of bed. :)

Date: July 09, 2003 11:20PM

Rarely do, frankly...

PSD

==========

Posted by: Skiffle (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: July 10, 2003 12:17AM

Excellent work, folks. I suspect an outbreak of dreadful puns is more likely to break the fforum than any HTML. Not sure what it will do to Jasper, either.

Posted by: kaz (139.134.57.---)
Date: July 10, 2003 04:31AM

Leave him curled in a fetal position in the corner sobbing, I suspect..

Posted by: KT (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: July 10, 2003 08:28AM

When I read jon’s post it brought a teal to my golden eye. Godwit a bufflehead I thought, but who wood duck the challenge? Eider we admit that he is the mandarin of puns or we all take a little tern. Better to be bittern by the bug than have egrets and so, from heron in, I will not grouse about puns. I shelduck out now and give jon the canvasback, and no more ruddy ducks. (Sorry, I don’t know a lot about fish).

Posted by: Ptolemy (---.range217-44.btcentralplus.com)
Date: July 10, 2003 04:14PM

He does it on porpoise, doesn't he...

Posted by: Jo (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: July 10, 2003 04:29PM

I think it is time for me to break out my pun-doomsday-device. I don't think the gun is going to get this lot....

I drink to drown my sorrows. Unfortunately they've learnt how to swim.

Posted by: KT (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: July 10, 2003 04:30PM

Not a death Ray, by any chance?

Posted by: Ptolemy (---.range217-44.btcentralplus.com)
Date: July 10, 2003 04:57PM

Nah, it's only a FISHer-price one...

(Sorry Jo! That's twice today you've had to threaten me, you may as well shoot me now and get it over with I suppose!)

Posted by: dante (---.internal.omneuk.com)
Date: July 10, 2003 05:25PM

*applause* *applause*

Remind me not to issue any more challenges, though.

:--

Do something pretty while you can...

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.