New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5
Re: Picture Perfect?
Posted by: TheMedHettar (---.blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: July 11, 2003 03:02PM

Damn it, i really have been caught, yes that was me *grin* hope you liked my questions. I obviously recognised you two, gruseome twosome. Not that you're gruesome, but i can't thinkof any other cliche's for the two of you. Aww, aint i a young'un, but still. I have this cold sweat nightmare now of being recognised throughout Kent by militant fforum members lol. Though we're all a lovely bunch! If you are bumming around kent, Rochester especially, and you see me, give me a yell. I know a gorgeous little tea shop we could go to lol!

TMH

//---------------//------------------//
One golfer a year is hit by lightning. This may be the only evidence we have of god’s existence.

Posted by: Ptolemy (---.range217-44.btcentralplus.com)
Date: July 11, 2003 03:09PM

TMH, Is Rochester a forum member then? And why him especially?!

(Ptolemy grins inanely and wanders back to the obscurity whence he came...)

Posted by: Auntysassy (193.132.206.---)
Date: July 11, 2003 03:12PM

Ptolemy - you beat me to it! :-)

Posted by: Holly Daze (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: July 11, 2003 04:01PM

I'd leave the custard foto alone, after all you've posted pic but unless you make a habit of wandering around covered in custard, and I guess its not against the law yet, you're still fairly anonymous.

Posted by: Holly Daze (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: July 11, 2003 04:09PM

Intrique - the elephant in pyjamas thing, are you a fan of Chitty Bang Bang by any chance?

Posted by: Magda (---.med.umich.edu)
Date: July 11, 2003 04:20PM

I figure there's no point in my attempting to remain anonymous, since within a couple weeks of joining the Fforum last fall I posted pics of myself dressed as Thursday for Halloween, and this spring I posted pics of myself with Jasper.

BTW, if anyone wants to see them without digging through the old threads:
Jane Austen/Pride and Prejudice Halloween Party Pics (I'm at the bottom of the second page)
Jasper in Dayton, OH

Post Edited (07-11-03 17:34)

--------------
"I've often said that the difference between British and American SF TV series is that the British ones have three-dimensional characters and cardboard spaceships, while the Americans do it the other way around."
--Ross Smith

Date: July 11, 2003 04:24PM

Holly, just for you here's another in the series of "Ptolemy with Food on his head" photos (that's me in the foreground...)

Ptolemy

-----------------------------------------------------------

* I'm backing the campaign to get the official Stalker for 2007 evicted *

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.dalect01.va.comcast.net)
Date: July 11, 2003 04:29PM

Magda, don't forget the http:// part

it should read (minus the spaces)
[ url=http://www.blahtedyblah.com/magdastuff/blahblah.jpg" ] Magda's pics [ /url ]

Posted by: Carla (198.179.227.---)
Date: July 11, 2003 04:30PM

i thought html and links were banned from this fforum?

how come ptolemy managed to link his pic?

Date: July 11, 2003 04:31PM

I knew I was forgetting something, and I couldn't find the thread with the code explained. I'll go make it back into links.

--------------
"I've often said that the difference between British and American SF TV series is that the British ones have three-dimensional characters and cardboard spaceships, while the Americans do it the other way around."
--Ross Smith

Date: July 11, 2003 04:35PM

we figgered it out Carla....it's actually a bastardized version of HTML especially for message boards. The Phorum software translates what we put into HTML but if we screw up the code, it doesn't blow up the fforum like it did in the old one.

groovy, eh?

Date: July 11, 2003 04:37PM

And now that I've made it a link, Geocities has decided to shut down my site temporarily (because people are actually looking at it). Sigh. If it doesn't work, try again later.

One of these days I'll get around to moving my stuff to my free universtity webspace....

--------------
--Ross Smith

Date: July 11, 2003 04:37PM

Carla, it was all my fault sorry to say. I started it :(

Mind you it could have been worse - between us we figured out how to incorporate pictures in the text of a message the other evening, but decided that was probably pushing our luck a bit TOO far...

That's working nicely now Magda - wish I'd been more patient now, I only you'd made the links clickable when I came back from browsing your photo albums after copying & pasting! Nice work, by the way....

Ooops! No it isn't! They've closed the site! D'oh....

Post Edited (07-11-03 17:41)

-----------------------------------------------------------

* I'm backing the campaign to get the official Stalker for 2007 evicted *

Date: July 11, 2003 04:41PM

Magda, I think I know why...Geocities wants you to click a link on an index page to get to a linked file. It's a pain. So rather than let you do the direct click-thru to the photo, we need to go to the page it's written into. Definitely a pain in the buttockal region!

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.cbc.ca)
Date: July 11, 2003 04:42PM

Ok I know I am incredibly late in looking at this thread.. but PSD -- those hiking photos are incredible. It looks like Scotland but I guess ut su sNorth wales -- close enough. I am dying to go trekking somewhere like that, even more so after looking at these shots.

Post Edited (07-11-03 17:43)

Date: July 11, 2003 04:43PM

you mean like THIS Ptolemy??

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/jontwila/Maddie-Alexis-combinedchairpic-retouched-and-softfx-7-5-03-web.jpg

those are my nieces I just did studio shots of...ain't they cute?

Date: July 11, 2003 04:45PM

Actually, those are links to webpages, not straight to images, but GeoCities wants me to pay them money for more bandwidth, so if I exceed the hourly limit for free sites they shut it down until the next hour or so. Since I'm not selling anything on my site, I haven't given in to this particular brand of extortion. I really should move the whole thing to the webspace I get on the server at the university where I work, but there's always something more important to do.

Post Edited (07-11-03 17:47)

--------------
--Ross Smith

Date: July 11, 2003 04:49PM

It is also true that I can't post photos directly here from my geocities site, becase they block them unless you access them from another page in your geocities site.
Although I've heard a rumor that if rename a file to .txt instead of .jpg, then it will work. I'm sure they'll prevent that eventually though, if people do it enough.

Date: July 11, 2003 04:51PM

Oh, and as a point of ettiquette....

In general, in a forum like this one, it's more polite to put links to pictures, rather than including the pictures inline. If they're part of your post, then they have to get loaded every time someone views the thread, which will both dramatically increase the bandwidth used by the Fforum (which Jasper may have to pay for) and make threads load really slowly for people with Dial-up access (like me at home).

Post Edited (07-11-03 17:53)

--------------
--Ross Smith

Posted by: Carla (198.179.227.---)
Date: July 11, 2003 04:54PM

what thread was it where you figured the html out?
i haven't read them all due to not having internet in the new flat and having loads to do at work...

or someone email me telling how to do it...

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.