New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5
Re: Picture Perfect?
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.dalect01.va.comcast.net)
Date: July 11, 2003 04:57PM

that's why I did it Magda! I get to be rude ONCE per day and I picked that as my chance. I promise I shan't be doing it anymore though unless it's a tiny pic that is very warranted. :)

Carla it's in Jon's topic called: A Cat's Soliloquy

Posted by: Ptolemy (---.range217-44.btcentralplus.com)
Date: July 11, 2003 04:59PM

I read somewhere (possibly out of date now - hope so!) that Jasper's using a 28k dial-up modem, which must make managing something like this outrageously frustrating.

If the worst comes to the worst and this forum is in danger of imploding I'm more than happy to offer webspace and (Snitz Forums, which is to my mind slightly more manageable and user-friendly than this,) software free of charge to host / moderate another one... perish the thought we should all lose touch with one another now!

Date: July 11, 2003 05:01PM

Ptolemy, you say this now and you've only been here, what...a week?? Imagine how those of us who've been around for almost 2 years feel!

Y'all are like my family! (only slightly less dysfunctional and much nicer because you don't give spoilers to who died in Harry Potter!)

Posted by: Rob (---.leeds.ac.uk)
Date: July 11, 2003 05:06PM

AAC: Oh. Did we not tell you it's **** ********* ??

Posted by: Carla (198.179.227.---)
Date: July 11, 2003 05:07PM

thanks, not sure i'll remember how to do it when i finally get my internet... (mid next week, but then we have to set a wireless network... hope my housemate will know how to do it all... and hope my wireless card works with win 95 or i'll have to install win98 for a few months till i buy my new computer...)

Posted by: Magda (---.med.umich.edu)
Date: July 11, 2003 05:08PM

Actually, I believe the 28k modem comment was in the WOLP Special Features section, which would mean it's actually likely to be fairly up-to-date.

(Yes, I've already finished reading the book, sussed out the password, and caught up in the WOLP Fforum. Sleep? Whassat? Hey, I can blame my screw-up on the link above on sleep deprivation. Cool!)

My first modem was 300 baud. Was very impressed when my brother upgraded to 1200 baud, and it actually downloaded plain text slightly faster than I could read it.

Date: July 11, 2003 05:11PM

I told Jasper I have a couple of extra 56K modems hanging around and he could have one if he wanted LOL...but I think it's partially the phone lines...afterall, he does live in B.F.E. Wales...which, for all intents and purposes, is a third world country :)

Posted by: poetscientistdrinker (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: July 11, 2003 06:51PM

Ah, but the interesting thing about linking to the images like that is that they don't get stored by the server dealing with the Fforum, so it shouldn't affect Mr Ff. It's known as bandwidth stealing, and is a bit naughty.

I figured that sticking up thumbnails wasn't going to take up too much space, either.

And yes, the photo's are of Snowdonia (North Wales), CG. Most of them are on Crib Goch (a ridge off Snowdon) but a few are of Tryfan. I'm going up to Scotland in September to do some Munro-bagging.

If anybody fancies going scrambling somewhere and needs a climbing partner, I'm available...

PSD

==========

This is the work of an Italian narco-anarchic collective. Don't bother insulting them, they can't read English anyway.

Posted by: Magda (---.med.umich.edu)
Date: July 11, 2003 06:55PM

Good point on the bandwidth issue, but the comment about pages taking time to load for folks with slow connections is still valid. Especially since most of us view the Fforum in flat view rather than threaded.

I don't think doing it occassionally with small images is a problem. I just wouldn't want to see lots of large pics getting posted and making things difficult for those on modems.

Date: July 11, 2003 07:04PM

Ah, I wasn't really talking about that bit...

F***serve only give me about 40kbps if I'm lucky, so I get tied up by lots of photos - although fortunately I get to see the words first. I suppose people ought to stick to thumbnails (and then a link to the full sized one afterwards?)

PSD

==========

This is the work of an Italian narco-anarchic collective. Don't bother insulting them, they can't read English anyway.

Date: July 11, 2003 07:07PM

I haven't had time to delve into the bowels of this fforum so please forgive me if it exists already, but mightn't it be an idea to have a topic dedicated to, not rules as such since we wouldn't want it to appear too Draconian and offputting for newbies, but guidelines and recommended "ways of working"? It could include instructions on how to include images in your profile, adding signatures, inserting a hyperlink, why it's considered impolite to include any graphic bigger than a thumbnail in a message, etc. In other words, pool all the information we currently have spread across several threads in one place....

Date: July 11, 2003 07:13PM

Good idea, except within a week it'll be buried on the second page, which newbies tend not to realise exists (and often wouldn't want to plough through anyway). Better just to have a discrete word as and when...

PSD

==========

Date: July 11, 2003 07:18PM

I take your point PSD and can't help but agree - I was just wondering if there's some way an administrator can make an informational topic "sticky", ie force it to appear at the top of the list no matter what. It could also be "locked" to prevent it straying off the subject. Just an idea....

Date: July 11, 2003 07:24PM

Most fforums have that option, so I guess it would be possible. By and large though we haven't had (m)any problems, so I think it's not vital just yet. I'm sure if it got really unwieldy Mr Ff would step in - or we could always ask for guidelines to be added.

I don't think it's crucial though.

PSD

==========

Date: July 11, 2003 09:09PM

I think it's not necessary for now...BUT if we get too many more newbies, perhaps I'll email Jasper and ask him to create a couple of new sticky posts or new fforums. I think we need one for introductions where we introduce ourselves so that saying hi to newbies doesn't take over topics so often. And I think there needs to be one for asking technical questions and giving advice on using the Fforum and Fforum Decorum (just thought of that one!)

Posted by: splat21 (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: July 11, 2003 09:17PM

That would be really useful actually (speaking as a newbie!) I'm a bit tentative about doing stuff that'll offend the rest of you who've been on for yonks and not sure what to avoid.

_ _ _ _ _

If the English language made any sense, a catastrophe would be an apostrophe with fur.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: July 11, 2003 09:25PM

It's my turn to be offended, you get one free hit.

Ben used to offend Ooktavia, but she is missing presumed lost in a library, perhaps you would like to take up the torch?

If we get offended we get terribly serious about it and swap e-mails privately until we burst out laughing.

Anyone here over a month is likely to find the scenery changes very rapidly.

Posted by: Holly Daze (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: July 11, 2003 09:27PM

Ptolemy- do you have a very extensive collection of you with food? had a good loud laugh. Have to say re the point about a guide to things like how to put a pic on your profile or view other peoples would be handy for people like me who haven't figured that out yet.

Posted by: splat21 (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: July 11, 2003 09:30PM

Yep I can do that. Erm, hang on a minute, lost the manual... dammit gonna have to get back to you...

_ _ _ _ _

If the English language made any sense, a catastrophe would be an apostrophe with fur.

Posted by: Sarah B (---.cable.ubr06.dudl.blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: July 11, 2003 10:47PM

I think someone tried to offend me once, but I was far too nice about it...

Was that you PSD? Shame on you.

TMH, I like your photo. Very nice! (In both senses of the words...)

And I want to know why at 17 I don't also constitute the youth of the fforum. I mean, I know I have a prediliction for long words occasionally, but that's no inducement for preventing me being an apportionment of the juvenescence here!

:-)

--------------

There's a hole in my creativity bucket and it's all leaked out.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.