New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5
Re: Name that product !
Posted by: Sarah (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: July 11, 2003 11:15PM

Great sport? Nice of you to say so, but I considered myself to be a great mug at the time. (Sarah B - yes, it did stick. Horribly. Dave R wasn't the one who had to clean out the toaster afterwards, hence his amnesia on the subject!)

Toffee toasties. Uuurgh... *shudder* For the record, they got invented because my (then) husband and I were both unemployed at the time, so it wasn't unusual for us to be short of food on the day before we did our weekly shop. Dave R happened to turn up unexpectedly on this day, and he was hungry, but all I had to offer him was a loaf of bread and a bag of toffees. The rest, as they say, is history.

These days I just feed him weird things out of the microwave. He likes them. Each to their own, I say!

..........................................................................................

That which does not kill us makes us stranger.
(Llewelyn the dragon, Ozy and Millie)

Sarah

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: July 11, 2003 11:18PM

Great mug? If you were then you're just a great sport now. Anyone who can do the 'Jane' pictures out of fellow-feeling for a budding author !

Posted by: kaz (139.134.58.---)
Date: July 12, 2003 06:11AM

To return (ever so briefly) to topic, I was thinking it may be the fairy lights from a Christmas tree and was wondering what you were doing with them in July, puttin gup or taking down?

Date: July 12, 2003 04:53PM

As indicated above, it was an AC power adaptor (for a semi-pro camera). Rainy season???

Also above, the proposed articles go for a day out. We had fun. I'll be off on holiday Monday.

NEW !! 29,000 WHAT are approaching the USA after a voyage of 12 years?

Date: July 12, 2003 04:56PM

Penguins?

Well, if they all have the same drink problem that Wilfred does, it's quite plausible!

..........................................................................................

Sarah

Date: July 12, 2003 04:57PM

You could be further from the truth. It was on ******.

Dammit woman, you can talk to me! I'm only upstairs!

Date: July 12, 2003 05:18PM

Yes, but it's too hot in that office. I'm avoiding it whenever possible. You know what happened to my feet on Wednesday. :-(

Sarah

Posted by: splat21 (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: July 12, 2003 05:23PM

the mind boggles... is it safe to know? Were they grammasites (not your feet!)

_ _ _ _ _

If the English language made any sense, a catastrophe would be an apostrophe with fur.

Posted by: poetscientistdrinker (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: July 12, 2003 06:00PM

I know! I know!

12,000 rubber ducks. Whether they still have squeakers after 11 years and three oceans is unclear.

I read a few months ago that there's a consignment of Lego bricks floating around somewhere. They're perfect for studying ocean currents apparently, as they're neutrally buoyant and can't be confused with anything else.

PSD

==========

This is the work of an Italian narco-anarchic collective. Don't bother insulting them, they can't read English anyway.

Date: July 12, 2003 06:07PM

Re the feet: no, they just swelled very uncomfortably because it was (at a reasonable guess) about a hundred in there, and I was working in the office for most of the day. Let's just say that when I came down to the kitchen, I thought it was blissfully cool, but when I looked at the thermometer in there it said 83.

This house has a flat black asphalt roof. I do not love it.

Sarah

Date: July 12, 2003 06:27PM

Just think, if I put in a bid for that property we could have an office behind the bicycle sheds!

Yes, rubber ducks. 29,000 ducks (it said on Ceefax) were in a ship bound from China to Seattle when it foundered 12 years ago. Since then they have gone a very strange voyage that has informed science as to the currents at work in various oceans and are approaching NEW ENGLAND! Some have apparently split off and headed for Europe, but I hate to think how long they will take to arrive. It staggers me to think they must have been round Cape Horn!

Meanwhile, the main bunch are probably glad they are not going to arrive in Guantanamo Bay. Just imagine if mankind had ceased to track them, and they came floating into Cuba. What would be the miilitary response to 29,000 rubber ducks advancing in formation toward the beach? At what range would they open fire, and would they put on NBC suits in case the ducks were sent by Al Quaeda carrying chemical weapons? But we will never know.

PSD wins the 'Tich and Quackers' prize (anyone remember that far back?) for most alert news reader.

Date: July 12, 2003 06:29PM

Lego bricks - if they can't be confused with anything else, why do they choose to spend their time confused with each other ??

Date: July 12, 2003 06:31PM

H'mph. 29 000 rubber ducks can float halfway round the world, and my two won't even stay upright in the bath. I want to swap!

Sarah

Date: July 12, 2003 06:35PM

You haven't got a big enough bath.

Posted by: kaz (139.134.57.---)
Date: July 13, 2003 06:41AM

Look, I gotta ask. What exactly do you to do in your job. I know Dave is the boss, and therefore, by extension, Sarah is the lackey. But what do you DO?

Posted by: poetscientistdrinker (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: July 13, 2003 10:50AM

Bazooka carriages.

PSD

==========

This is the work of an Italian narco-anarchic collective. Don't bother insulting them, they can't read English anyway.

Posted by: splat21 (195.217.253.---)
Date: July 13, 2003 01:06PM

... in women's silk lingerie, presumably. Poor ducks.

Hope your feet are ok today Sarah it's toooo hot!

_ _ _ _ _

If the English language made any sense, a catastrophe would be an apostrophe with fur.

Posted by: Ptolemy (---.range217-44.btcentralplus.com)
Date: July 13, 2003 01:36PM

Anyone else familiar with this site? I love it, been following it on and off for a couple of years now! Sarah, this could be the answer to your prayers....

[www.ifoundaduck.com]

-----------------------------------------------------------

* I'm backing the campaign to get the official Stalker for 2007 evicted *

Posted by: dante (---.thls.bbc.co.uk)
Date: July 13, 2003 01:54PM

that's fantastic!!!
But it hasn't been updated since March '01...

:--

Do something pretty while you can...

Posted by: Ptolemy (---.range217-44.btcentralplus.com)
Date: July 13, 2003 02:05PM

Onooooo, hasn't it really? Time's passed THAT quickly?!? Oh, dear!

Never mind, there's still a web portal there especially for Sarah telling you all about where best to buy a plastic duck

[www.plasticducks.com]

Like you say, it's a seriously great site. And I love the concept as well.

Hey, maybe we could do the same thing - get lots and lots of little tagged dodos and meet up somewhere to set them off hitch-hiking around the world and then create a website (subweb here) to track them.... oh I can just see it now! And wouldn't it be great to have a convention in a park somewhere when we set them loose! Ha haaaaaaaaaa

Post Edited (07-13-03 15:08)

-----------------------------------------------------------

* I'm backing the campaign to get the official Stalker for 2007 evicted *

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.