New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5
Re: Name that product !
Posted by: dante (---.thls.bbc.co.uk)
Date: July 13, 2003 02:26PM

I'm not setting my dodo loose :o( That's how they got extinct, y'know...

Oh, actually, bits of it have been updated more recently. There's some set out from Anchorage in 2003 sometime - there's a link to foundaduck.com (not a typo) which says one was found just last week!

There's something similar for books at bookcrossing.com. I'd love it if I could get my head round the concept of setting books loose...

Post Edited (07-13-03 15:28)

:--

Do something pretty while you can...

Posted by: Sarah (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: July 13, 2003 04:17PM

Kaz: we sell lingerie, and also hosiery and jewellery. We pride ourselves on being able to fit almost anyone, from waif to Wagner soprano. And count yourself lucky you got the serious answer. When people ask me what I do, I normally grin and reply, "I'm in knickers!"

I love that duck site... loveitloveitloveit! I had a look at some of the links on the portal, but unfortunately there was only one in the UK and I couldn't find the actual ducks on their site. Everyone else was in the USA or Canada, and I'm pretty sure they don't take British debit cards. Credit cards, yes; debit cards, no.

..........................................................................................

That which does not kill us makes us stranger.
(Llewelyn the dragon, Ozy and Millie)

Sarah

Date: July 13, 2003 04:18PM

Sarah, if your debit card's got a visa sign on it, which a lot of them do, it might be ok - I've used that in the past. Think it was a Lloyds one.

Date: July 13, 2003 04:36PM

No, mine is NatWest, and it hasn't. Might Google a few British ducks later!

..........................................................................................

Sarah

Date: July 13, 2003 04:43PM

Actually, there are some great ducks out there - I like the devil duckies that you can now get in all different colours and stuff.

I've got a normal (!) one I got in a pub - he's called Dooby. (I was with 2 friends - theirs are called Scooby and Doo. I can't remember why!!!)

I just found www.captainquack.com. It's fab.

Date: July 13, 2003 04:49PM

American again. Sigh.

Sarah

Posted by: Ptolemy (---.range217-44.btcentralplus.com)
Date: July 13, 2003 05:02PM

Sarah, I buy stuff from the States all the time (esp. books and CDs for review purposes for the mag) - I'm happy to help out if you want to contact me offline; I'm sure we can figure out a way of you getting a cheque or cash to me by way of reimbursement.

P.

Date: July 13, 2003 05:14PM

Ptolemy, you are an angel! Thank you! I shall do so at once - I know just the duck I'm looking for. :-)

Sarah

Date: July 13, 2003 05:24PM

No probs. I feel kinda responsible having started all this anyway. Besides, I still owe you a favour for doing me the honour of naming a thread after me in what was then my first week here!

Talk soon!

Posted by: Skiffle (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: July 13, 2003 09:18PM

Sarah, If you want to order something on-line, and Dave can't do it for you, I will. No offence to Ptolemy, but don't you live in the Isle of Man ? I live in the same city as Sarah, which makes passing on deliveries and sorting out payment a lot easier.

Date: July 13, 2003 10:07PM

Me Skiff? No, I live in Wiltshire, about 12 miles SW of Swindon. The duck's all ordered and on the way now, but thanks for the offer all the same! I (ab)use the international (and national) postal system every day in the course of my business as a magazine publisher, so honestly it's no trouble at all - in fact Sarah and I have it all in hand now, all it took was a couple of emails. Cheers though!

Posted by: Guy (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: July 14, 2003 12:24AM

I hereby officially award this thread the Golden Dodo award for being the most consistently off-topic, bizarre and fastest growing. 70? Already? Did I blink?

Congratluations to evevryone involved . . . ;)

Jesus saves; Buddha does incremental backup.

Posted by: kaz (139.134.57.---)
Date: July 14, 2003 04:15AM

Well, gawsh. (scuffs ground in embarassed pride). thanks. We do our best.

Posted by: KT (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: July 14, 2003 10:45AM

I heard this morning that a load of those ducks are expected to hit the west coast of Britain. So, is anyone in the Hebrides or western Ireland?

Posted by: Ptolemy (217.205.174.---)
Date: July 14, 2003 04:29PM

Well whoever it is will no doubt be singing "Sitting On The Duck Of The Bay" very loudly...

Sorry, this is "name that product" not "name that tune", isn't it?

Posted by: poetscientistdrinker (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: July 14, 2003 06:23PM

I don't knoe. If some of us try signing it'll be pretty hard to recognise the intended tune....

PSD

==========

This is the work of an Italian narco-anarchic collective. Don't bother insulting them, they can't read English anyway.

Date: July 14, 2003 06:36PM

PSD, are you getting your book signing and book singing puddled um?!

Posted by: dante (---.internal.omneuk.com)
Date: July 14, 2003 07:07PM

I just saw the photos, I can't believe it's the fab ducks with shades...

what duck have you ordered, sarah?

Date: July 14, 2003 07:13PM

Dante, Sarah emailed me the link to her chosen duck so I don't know whether she wants it made public or not! It's a very cool duck though - so much so that I ordered one myself at the same time...

Posted by: dante (---.internal.omneuk.com)
Date: July 14, 2003 07:21PM

Oh dear... there's a whole duck thing starting...

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.