New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 4 of 7
Re: Newest Who
Posted by: bunyip (---.as1.adl6.internode.on.net)
Date: August 08, 2008 03:40AM

Saw Dr Who on Top Gear as shown in Oz this week (about Nov 2007 in UK) and learned he took his acting name from a beer (a good one) as his own name was already listed with equity.

Good thing he was 17 at the time or he may have been called David Irn-Bru

Posted by: SkidMarks (---.40.125.193.sub.mbb.three.co.uk)
Date: August 08, 2008 10:27AM

In the U.K. we now have a channel dedicated to showing old Top Gears and Fifth Gears, called "Dave"*. Jeremy Clarkson name-checked it in the last episode of the recent season.

* not to be confused with BBC4/BBC3 which only show endless repeats of Top Gear, no Fifth Gear

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

My computer beat me at chess, but I won at kickboxing

Posted by: EgonSpengler (---.as43234.net)
Date: August 08, 2008 12:05PM

They do show Batman occasionally though. Where else can you see Adam West these days?

Date: August 08, 2008 02:55PM

Ah Batman, as portrayed by Adam West!

When this first came out I worked in a Tuberculosis Unit and it was quite disconcerting when concentrating on pathology results to hear someone yell out 'Holy Bacillus, batman! We've got an atypical positive! Get on the batphone and tell the chief!'

Considering the path lab sent the positives up immediately this occured a lot. About 4pm the non positives results arrived and no one said anything.

The theme song was repeated as much as the Muppet Show theme was in the 70s.

Date: August 08, 2008 02:59PM

<exclaims at the welcome wonder of Batman and The Muppet Show in the same thread>

Posted by: Bonzai Kitten (58.163.129.---)
Date: August 09, 2008 12:23PM

I think Adam West spends most of his time bagging out the new batman movie, and being Mayor of Quahog.

Date: August 10, 2008 05:33AM

Which only goes to show he has not lost his self respect.

I have a teachest sized box of 30,40,50,60 &early 70s Batman and Superman comics behind me right now.

It may well be time to re-read them as this modern psychodrama Batman as the portrayal by Field Accountbook as Joker has ruined the innocence of the series, and I believe there are no jokes in the modern films.

They seem to be in alignment with Winnie the Pooh as rendered by Kafka.

Posted by: Bonzai Kitten (58.163.128.---)
Date: August 10, 2008 03:02PM

GEEK WAR!

Personally, I prefer the mix of the absurd with the modern style. It's still just as silly, but in a much MUCH better way.

The older (esp batman, but also spidey, etc*) comics do have their camp appeal, but in terms of plot and character, they really cannot compare.

It's probably something to do with it *not* being the 30's,40's,50's,60's or early 70s anymore.

<Prepares fortifications.>

*See, it's not just DC I'm having a go at- I like to share.

Posted by: EgonSpengler (92.18.190.---)
Date: August 10, 2008 05:05PM

Madness! Do you know what you've started?! Foolish feline!

Date: August 12, 2008 04:49AM

ES,

What has BK started?

I agree with her - the plots and depictions of action in the comics are ludicrous, but in the words of saint Spike M when some garbled noise was issued:

Neddy: What rubbish.

Griptype: Yes, but beautifully spoken.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/12/2008 04:50AM by bunyip.

Posted by: BibwitHart (---.VIC.netspace.net.au)
Date: August 12, 2008 05:57AM

Good old Gritpipe Thin!

My ideal villain.

Posted by: Bonzai Kitten (149.135.107.---)
Date: August 12, 2008 01:27PM

Is anyone going to join me? Or is this going to be a very small war?

Date: August 12, 2008 04:50PM

Years spent watching the DC message board wars and the fact I agree with you mean no wars with me. I still shudder at the memory.

Posted by: LeonardQuirm (---.dur.ac.uk)
Date: August 13, 2008 10:21AM

"I believe there are no jokes in the modern [Batman] films."

There are a couple in The Dark Knight - the odd amusing line of banter between Wayne and Alfred, for example. Not to mention the Joker's pencil trick...

Oh, and if you don't think that's amusing enough, how about the fact Morgan Freeman can apparently research, design, build, test and properly produce Batman's gadgets - all from a secret research lab, don't forget - seemingly in the space of about a day at a time?

Posted by: Bonzai Kitten (58.163.128.---)
Date: August 13, 2008 01:27PM

And the bit about not starting with the criminals head... But enough of that! I know there are people who haven't seen it!

Date: August 14, 2008 09:10AM

Actually, I can only think of one really funny bit in the Dark Knight and it involves Morgan Freeman talking someone out of doing something that I shall not reveal for spoiler reasons.

Posted by: Bonzai Kitten (149.135.108.---)
Date: August 14, 2008 01:29PM

Really? I mean, I've been called weird before, but I'm surely not the only one who thought the comic relief was pretty evenly played throughout?

Date: August 14, 2008 01:35PM

Well, humour is so subjective. I'm one of those very odd people who think that pencils being used in that manner isn't funny. C'est la vie.

Posted by: Bonzai Kitten (149.135.108.---)
Date: August 14, 2008 01:57PM

<Feels chastised. Puts away pencils.>

Posted by: SkidMarks (---.41.63.40.sub.mbb.three.co.uk)
Date: August 14, 2008 02:01PM

O.K. so it is bigger than the usual pencil case, but at least he would know where to find it, if he needed it later.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 4 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.