New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

The Well of Lost Plots :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
For chat regarding 'Well of lost Plots'.  
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4
Re: have i just overread something
Posted by: Sarah B (---.cable.ubr06.dudl.blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: August 24, 2003 12:51PM

Bonza!

--------------

There's a hole in my creativity bucket and it's all leaked out.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.omega142.maxonline.com.sg)
Date: August 24, 2003 05:03PM

I thought they r same cat ... chesire cat = UA of W cat

Posted by: Simon (---.lancing.org.uk)
Date: August 26, 2003 11:26AM

They are the same person, it's just that there seems to be some uncertainty about the extent to which the name has been changed.

"God rot Botchkamos Istochnik!"

Posted by: Jonathan (212.137.30.---)
Date: November 11, 2003 02:01PM

Odd pronunciations? A couple of postings gave a clue to what Scots and Gaelic can do when modern English-based educators hit town.

'Gaelic' - Say 'Irish' if you're talking about the language in Ireland, 'Gah-lic' (not 'Gay-lic') about the Highlands one. County boundaries - Rossshire disappeared in 1975 but it is still on all relevant printed letterheads.

I have a tirade about the letter Yogh just itching to be fired off too. The next paragraph is part of it

Menzies = Mingis, Dalziel = Dee-yell, Mackenzie should be and used to be Mackenny but mass education has got all (and his mate Sundry) reading the Z out loud.

Gaelic origins mean that the town of Avoch is pronounced Och, and Strathaven is said Straven.

My favourite is Gardenstown, it's really Gamrie, pronounced Game-ree.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.