New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1415161718192021222324...LastNext
Current Page: 19 of 132
Re: Animal, Vegetable or Mineral?
Posted by: MistyCat (---.dial.dyn.ihug.co.nz)
Date: May 31, 2010 01:17PM

Do you like yours a lot?

Posted by: SkidMarks (---.manc.cable.ntl.com)
Date: May 31, 2010 01:52PM

0) It is mineral with animal aspirations. Addendum! Mineral in the sense that it is neither flora nor fauna
1) Larger than a breadbox? No. It would fit inside comfortably.
2) Is it a piece of art? No
3) Is it real? I believe that according to your rules my answer should be "yes", but I prefer to answer what is real?
3a) Oh! alright then, it is real
4) Is it mass produced by humans (or machines)? Yes. In other words, are there lots more around exactly like it? Within the limits of production tolerence, yes, there are lots like it.
5)Moving parts? Mine does, as do most, but I can imagine that some may not.
6)Is it naturally pigmented? Not sure, but probably no.
7)Do people usually keep one in their house? Yes, but they can be found elsewhere, indoors and out and about.
8) Do I like mine a lot? I suppose Yes as if I didn't I would have replaced it.

Posted by: EgonSpengler (---.is.nottingham.ac.uk)
Date: June 02, 2010 02:32PM

Is it used to prepare food?

Posted by: SkidMarks (---.196.240.9.threembb.co.uk)
Date: June 02, 2010 06:15PM

0) It is mineral with animal aspirations. Addendum! Mineral in the sense that it is neither flora nor fauna
3) Is it real? I believe that according to your rules my answer should be "yes", but I prefer to answer what is real?
4) Is it mass produced by humans (or machines)? Yes. In other words, are there lots more around exactly like it? Within the limits of production tolerence, yes, there are lots like it.
7)Do people usually keep one in their house? Yes, but they can be found elsewhere, indoors and out and about.
9)Is it used to prepare food? No

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/02/2010 09:36PM by SkidMarks.

Posted by: BibwitHart (---.VIC.netspace.net.au)
Date: June 03, 2010 12:49PM

Can it make or transmit a sound? (I suspect that I am no good at this)

Posted by: SkidMarks (---.197.183.220.threembb.co.uk)
Date: June 03, 2010 06:31PM

9)Is it used to prepare food? No
10)Can it make or transmit a sound? Yes, mine makes a sound when I use it, but some do not. Sound production and/or transmission is not its function.

Date: June 03, 2010 10:41PM

Could I reasonably expect to find one on sale at the corner dairy?

Posted by: SkidMarks (---.manc.cable.ntl.com)
Date: June 05, 2010 08:33AM

9)Is it used to prepare food? No.
10)Can it make or transmit a sound? Yes, mine makes a sound when I use it, but some do not. Sound production and/or transmission is not its function.
11)Could I reasonably expect to find one on sale at the corner dairy? No, probably not
(for those not from the land of Hobbits and Hakas - a corner dairy is a smallish ship selling dairy and canned foods primarily - a bit like a convenience store in the U.S. or a Spar or Tesco Express in the U.K. - mrs. SkidMarks is from Lower hutt & provided the translation)

Posted by: annie (164.53.222.---)
Date: June 08, 2010 03:34AM

is it a credit card?

Posted by: Violetmoon (---.asa.utk.edu)
Date: June 08, 2010 06:05PM

Are numbers (real or imaginary) an integral part of its function?

Posted by: SkidMarks (---.196.136.212.threembb.co.uk)
Date: June 08, 2010 06:32PM

11)Could I reasonably expect to find one on sale at the corner dairy? No, probably not
(for those not from the land of Hobbits and Hakas - a corner dairy is a smallish ship selling dairy and canned foods primarily - a bit like a convenience store in the U.S. or a Spar or Tesco Express in the U.K. - mrs. SkidMarks is from Lower hutt & provided the translation)
12) Is it a credit card? No.
13) Are numbers (real or imaginary) an integral part of its function? Yes that is partly how it functions, but they are not its end result. I.E. it is not a calculator.

Posted by: BibwitHart (---.VIC.netspace.net.au)
Date: June 09, 2010 10:10AM

Is it a letter box?

Posted by: geg (---.15-2.cable.virginmedia.com)
Date: June 09, 2010 04:01PM

Does it require a power source?

Posted by: SkidMarks (---.196.211.26.threembb.co.uk)
Date: June 09, 2010 06:18PM

13) Are numbers (real or imaginary) an integral part of its function? Yes that is partly how it functions, but they are not its end result. I.E. it is not a calculator.
14 Is it a letterbox? No
15)Does it require a power source? Yes. Some have batteries, mine plugs in, but not to the mains electricity supply.

Posted by: Violetmoon (---.asa.utk.edu)
Date: June 09, 2010 08:36PM

OK.

To summarize: This thing, whatever it is, is smallish, neither flora nor fauna, one of many, normally has moving parts, is found indoors and out and about, can make a sound/sounds, common, but not so common as to be found in a convenience/corner shop, functions using numbers but not exclusively, and requires power (but not from a wall power supply).

It is NOT a calculator. (I was fairly certain that was the answer, so phooey.)

It does not appear that Skidmarks has any emotional attachment to this thing, as he "supposes" he likes it.

So now a question:

16) If it doesn't have batteries, is it normally powered by a computer?

Date: June 10, 2010 02:29PM

<Thinks. It's starting to sound gadgetish. What do I have that sounds like that? Somewhat like a G.P.S., maybe. Perhaps a multi-meter. Even an electronic guitar tuner. I like my guitar tuner a lot, but I snobbishly spurn it when tuning my classical guitar. I like pie, too. Mmmmm, Pie. Stops thinking.>

Date: June 10, 2010 03:29PM

Crikey Pie - we haven't had pie for ages. It's like being little again when you're having so much fun you forget to go in for your tea.

Almost didn't notice we hadn't been invited to Egon's Birthday Party. Almost - but not quite. Bet there was jelly and ice cream too.

Posted by: delacuesta (---.adsl.xs4all.nl)
Date: June 10, 2010 05:08PM

I have been thinking that it might be "a watch", but SkidMarks' answers are so elusive that I darenot put it forward. Moreover, we have had "a watch" as a second-best guess earlier in the game, and I'm not going to repeat myself.

There might be some pie left on the sideboard, though most of it was taken by passers-by today.

Posted by: SkidMarks (---.196.69.63.threembb.co.uk)
Date: June 10, 2010 06:29PM

14 Is it a letterbox? No
15)Does it require a power source? Yes. Some have batteries, mine plugs in, but not to the mains electricity supply.
16) If it does have batteries, is it normally powered by computer? Yes.

Pies are always available. I just draw newcomers' attention to them. Everyone else should just help themselves. Chicken & asparagus have been added to the savoury selection and as they are special.........

Date: June 10, 2010 07:24PM

Mouse?

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1415161718192021222324...LastNext
Current Page: 19 of 132

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.