New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: 123456Next
Current Page: 1 of 6
Hogfather
Posted by: SkidMarks (---.manc.cable.ntl.com)
Date: November 30, 2006 04:58PM

Sorry for yet another new thread, but this may be of interest to U.K. T.P. readers.

Hogfather will be shown on Sky One on Sunday 17th December at 8:05pm
and Monday 18th December at 8:00pm.

There is also a "making of" which will be shown on Sky One on Saturday 16th December at 2:00pm.

(Info taken from Jason Anthony's Discworld Monthly newsletter)

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

My computer beat me at chess, but I won at kickboxing

Re: Hogfather
Posted by: MuseSusan (---.dsl.irvnca.pacbell.net)
Date: November 30, 2006 07:59PM

I desperately want to see it, but I'm here in the US. Do you know anything about whether Sky One (I assume that's a tv channel) can be seen over here?

Date: December 01, 2006 07:36AM

I think it is U.K. only, but as Sky (Rupert Murdoch - Fox?) are making it, there is a chance that it would appear on one of his U.S. channels

Posted by: Taliesin (217.205.250.---)
Date: December 01, 2006 12:32PM

I like the look of it (from the little I have seen and surprised there's not been more fuss about it), Susan looks spot on and the other actors are not the usual ex soap rejects, think it will either fail miserably or be fantastic.

Posted by: 198505 (---.cable.ubr04.pres.blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: December 01, 2006 05:12PM

Worse comes to worse you could ask someone with a DVD recorded to 'tape' it for you and then send it over?
I don't own that piece of kit, I'm affraid

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Blood! Death! War! Rumpy pumpy! Triumph!

Posted by: Ptolemy (---.range86-139.btcentralplus.com)
Date: December 01, 2006 11:58PM

198505 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Worse comes to worse you could ask someone with a
> DVD recorded to 'tape' it for you and then send it
> over?
> I don't own that piece of kit, I'm affraid

Aren't the formats of American and other-parts-of-the-world DVDs different, though?

*shrugs*

Posted by: Mooxico (---.zianet.com)
Date: December 02, 2006 12:19AM

I've found that if you have a Mac, you can watch DVDs from other-parts-of-the-world. From what I've read, the Mac will switch regions on its DVD player; it does this because the Apple folk figure that people move around, and take their computers with them. You can switch regions on them five times before it sticks at whatever region was used this last time.
As for Windows machines, I don't know.

Hope this helps,

Lea

p.s. I edited this to add the link to the article, and to change "format" to "regions."

p.p.s. there was a birthday party today for those of us at work who have November birthdays. (It would have been yesterday, when it was November, but we had a Snow Day.) I have a November birthday, so I am "sharing" the leftovers with you all! Please feel free to have some: homemade chocolate chip cookies, homemade chocolate truffles, apple slices, grapes, edamame, gouda, brie, water crackers, and lemon chess bars! Please enjoy!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/02/2006 12:56AM by Mooxico.

Posted by: MuseSusan (---.res.pomona.edu)
Date: December 02, 2006 03:01AM

Ooh, lemon chess bars, my favorite! I like the pawns a lot, but the knights are the best!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/02/2006 03:01AM by MuseSusan.

Posted by: Mooxico (---.sub-75-210-224.myvzw.com)
Date: December 02, 2006 03:21AM

But those rooks are a might hard on the teeth... :::nods:::

Date: December 02, 2006 09:28AM

Thank you for the goodies, Mooxico.

For your info all computer dvd drives have the 5 times region change restriction. (Most player programs have a similar restriction built in.)

The problem for those using a domestic dvd player is not the region code, as home recordings are region code free. It is the different t.v. picture format. The U.S.A uses NTSC and Europe uses PAL. (This is not strictly true, but for dvds it is close enough for the differences not to matter.)

The picture will be encoded to either PAL or NTSC standards.

As far as I know, an NTSC tv cannot play a PAL signal, Almost all PAL tvs can play NTSC signals.

(Once again this is a gross over simplification of what actually happens, but trust me, you really wouldn't be interested in the correct terminology!)

Posted by: 198505 (---.cable.ubr04.pres.blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: December 02, 2006 02:17PM

Okay thats me told.
there is a chance it may be on Fox or sold at some point.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Blood! Death! War! Rumpy pumpy! Triumph!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/02/2006 02:20PM by 198505.

Posted by: Bonzai Kitten (61.68.163.---)
Date: December 02, 2006 04:07PM

Maybe I should start selling region-free dvd players from here to all those poor folks overseas.

Posted by: sofa (---.lns2-c7.dsl.pol.co.uk)
Date: December 02, 2006 06:56PM

I'm doubtful, will watch but not too optimistic. Usually they look all bright and shiny but end up dissapointingly shallow. I've got the 2 TP dvds and hope for more of them

Oh my God! He's not Welsh is he?

You're about as punk as Enya!

Posted by: Mooxico (---.sub-75-210-224.myvzw.com)
Date: December 02, 2006 06:56PM

You're welcome, SkidMarks! After all, y'all have been generous with me.
I didn't know all computers played all regions; that's good to know.
I have played a PAL disc on my computer. (I've also inadvertently made a couple of PAL DVDs -- why is that the default on my 'puter? I can either send them to friends in Germany, or I now have 2 more coasters...)
So, I guess Miss MuseSusan can do at least three things: 1. Get a U.K. disc and watch on her computer; 2. wait for it to show up on Fox or F/X; or c. buy a Region 0 player from BK! (BK, that's a kind offer. :-) )

Date: December 03, 2006 08:00AM

198505 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Okay thats me told. There is a chance it may be on Fox or sold at some point.

Sorry no criticism intended!

I have spent a looooong time working with both computers and a/v components, so nknow the pitfalls quite well.

Hopefully as high definition t.v. gradually comes in these problems may dissapear from domestic gear, but as it is not in the film companies' interest to allow for a world-wide market, I am sure they just find a different way of scuppering cross region viewing.

Besides the dvd player, BK, you need to sell a television, because this is where the problems really start for the U.S.A.

Out of interest a very simple way of by-passing the 5 region changes problem with a computer is to have two drives.

Posted by: Bonzai Kitten (61.68.166.---)
Date: December 03, 2006 11:38AM

Ah! Stroke of genius there!
(makes mental note to crush this brainwave before anyone else notices, ala microsoft).

Posted by: Mooxico (---.zianet.com)
Date: December 03, 2006 04:55PM

SkidMarks Wrote:
>
> Out of interest a very simple way of by-passing
> the 5 region changes problem with a computer is to
> have two drives.

That is brilliant, and it's why we are paying you the big bucks. We are paying you the big bucks, right?

Date: December 04, 2006 07:42AM

Of course you are paying! Did you forget to send your tithe to me? Don't worry I won't charge interest.

Every brain cell destroyed when to try to follow my logic is posted directly to me. Once I have cornered the market in dead brain cells I will create Brian cells. This will allow me to build a Brian. This will be a case of life imitating art.

From here I can charge everyone who attends a life drawing class a "Life of Brian" tax, and sue the remaining Pythons for pre-spectively using Brian cells without permission.

(Don't forget to load your film playing software into two directories/folders or use two different packages as the software is frequently region locked as well as the drive and this saves having to reload it.)

Posted by: Bonzai Kitten (61.68.161.---)
Date: December 04, 2006 02:40PM

Um.

I think half my brain cells will be arriving in your mailbox shortly.

Posted by: Taliesin (217.205.250.---)
Date: December 04, 2006 04:55PM

Think he/she has all mine :)

Goto Page: 123456Next
Current Page: 1 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.