New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 3 of 6
Re: Hogfather
Posted by: robcraine (---.mcb.net)
Date: December 10, 2006 08:42PM

Hallmark were involved with financing the thing, so I imagine they'll be showing it in USia. Someone somewhere also mentioned a dvd being available in March... but if that is true then presumably you'll still have the 'region' problems.

Someone else asked if TP was walsian. Nope, he's a bucks guy. Bio over here -> [www.lspace.org]

Rob

------
That statement is either so deep it would take a lifetime to fully comprehend every particle of its meaning, or it is a load of absolute tosh. Which is it, I wonder?
Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

Posted by: SkidMarks (---.manc.cable.ntl.com)
Date: December 19, 2006 09:24AM

WOW!!!

Hats off to Sky. They scored a massive 95% on my approvalometer. I would have been happy with anything over 70%.

They have quite a bit of stuff on the web about it.
[www.skyone.co.uk]

Follow the video link to see 12 short films and bits from the "Making of..." (If you seem to be watching "24", then you have not clicked on the tab to select the Hogfather stuff, silly.)

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

My computer beat me at chess, but I won at kickboxing

Posted by: PrinzHilde (---.dip0.t-ipconnect.de)
Date: December 19, 2006 02:19PM

Good to hear that. Anyone else seen it?

And now for the really important question: Has anyone recorded it and is willing to share with some starved mainlanders?

Design #3609494995:
It's a newly-discovered breed of fish that keeps your teeth clean, tastes delicious and dissolves in water.
generated with The Prior-Art-O-Matic

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/19/2006 05:29PM by PrinzHilde.

Posted by: sofa (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 20, 2006 09:02AM

I was pretty impressed overall. Liked Susan and Teatime. They were the stand out performances. DEATH was also very good. The guy in the suit deserves high praise and Ian Richardson was impressive, but I always hear Cristopher Lee when DEATH speaks, was he unavailiable?

Only a minoer quibble and enjoyed it..

Oh my God! He's not Welsh is he?

You're about as punk as Enya!

Date: December 20, 2006 09:32AM

I won't give away any plot points but must add Banjo to the list of absolutely spot-on characters.

Did you notice that Ian Richardson got to say "You might say that, I couldn't possibly comment."?

Date: December 20, 2006 10:25AM

He was played well, but was me or did the criminals seem a bit clean! I always see the Discworld crimminal class as very unwashed! Apart from chicken wire(?) needing some dental work they were all a bit scrubbed up.

It shows how good the show was that it's the minor quibbles that stand out.

Posted by: Taliesin (217.205.250.---)
Date: December 20, 2006 01:02PM

I loved it, not seen the second one yet so waiting to enjoy that one, all the characters were spot on and as for Susan ;) Made an old man very happy :)

Posted by: Mrs Next (---.bradford.gov.uk)
Date: December 20, 2006 04:32PM

Was a bit worried at having David Jason as Albert (big star and all that) but he was brill, as was everyone else. Susan was exactly how I imagined her, as was Ridcully and the plot wasn't mucked about with. Whats next?

Date: December 20, 2006 07:55PM

By all accounts they have optioned 3 other books, but I don't know which ones as yet.

Rob, you are correct about the DVD. According to Sky it is due for an Easter release, but will be Region 2 only.

Posted by: 198505 (---.cable.ubr04.pres.blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: December 20, 2006 10:08PM

I do have a vhs copy, and will be taping it again on christmas and boxing day, but my VCR isn't great, I'll see about routing the scart lead through the kids TV/video combi.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Blood! Death! War! Rumpy pumpy! Triumph!

Date: December 21, 2006 07:52PM

Will buy I think, got the two animated already.

Hope they film one of the night watch books , wanna see the dingy parts of morpork..

Posted by: MuseSusan (---.dsl.irvnca.pacbell.net)
Date: December 22, 2006 06:34PM

How are the animated ones? I've heard about them, but I was always a little suspicious…

Posted by: Puck (---.sfldmidn.dynamic.covad.net)
Date: December 22, 2006 08:37PM

I always like the images in my mind's eye much better than any on the movie screen.

-------------------------
Metaphors be with you!

Date: December 22, 2006 09:24PM

While agreeing with Puck, The Cosgrove hall animated Discworld stories are very well done. Note, though that the U.K. dvds have 5.1 surround sound and the U.S. versions only have a stereo mix. This is most noticable when Death (voiced by Christopher Lee) speaks as on the U.K mix you are surrounded by his words.

(Cosgrove Hall also did a stop motion animation of "Truckers", which was also worth searching aout and far superior to the live action "Johnny" stories done by the BBC)

Posted by: Bonzai Kitten (61.68.162.---)
Date: December 23, 2006 05:15AM

the animated Soul Music is absolutely marvellous!

(I couldn't resist one more internet session before I go...

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE! (I'll be thinking of you as I sip my limonecello on the midnight gondola in Venice!)

And christmas for those who celebrate it. If not, have a merry one of whatever you like best. And enjoy the kitten's absence. You may not get another chance some peace!

Posted by: tieff (---.246.195.126.tisdip.tiscali.de)
Date: December 30, 2006 08:06PM

A big thank you to SkidMarks for succouring those of us in the diaspora.

Posted by: sofa (---.wfd76b.dsl.pol.co.uk)
Date: January 07, 2007 03:33PM

Soory been away for too long and the thread has moved. The animated are great, Sould music is best.
Question is trukers out there? Where?

Date: January 08, 2007 07:54AM

Truckers was stop motion animation, (produced like Soul Music and Wyrd Sisters by Cosgrove Hall) You may be able to find a VHS copy in a cut price bin, somewhere, but I don't think it is still listed for sale.

All distribution rights to Cosgrove Hall programmes are Held by Freemantle Entertainment. As far as I know, "Truckers" never made it to dvd. The rights to the Bromeliad trilogy are now held by Dreamworks, so it is unlikely that Freemmantle can re-release it.

Posted by: kaz (---.vic.bigpond.net.au)
Date: January 08, 2007 09:53PM

Cosgrove Hall did Danger Mouse. Of course, this has nothing whatsoever to do with the conversation, but there you go....

Speaking of great shows never to be released on DVD, does anyone remember Captain Simian and the Space Monkeys?

Posted by: robcraine (---.mcb.net)
Date: January 08, 2007 10:24PM

Umm... no. Not I, anyway.

Truckers is slightly available used. Amazon seems to have three copies. If you're searching for it on the interweb then the ASIN of B00004CM0K may be useful.

Rob

------
That statement is either so deep it would take a lifetime to fully comprehend every particle of its meaning, or it is a load of absolute tosh. Which is it, I wonder?
Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 3 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.