New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 2 of 7
Re: Ducklings
Posted by: EgonSpengler (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: April 20, 2008 06:43AM

You'd have to ask my confederate. I was merely channelling her duck-loving ire as well as adding a little of my own.

No props but a piece of Pi.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/20/2008 05:28PM by EgonSpengler.

Posted by: Haylo (---.nott.cable.ntl.com)
Date: April 22, 2008 04:17PM

You have to love the internet. I watched the videos and noticed some rather familiar things in the background- I believe we go to the same uni Egon! *starts shaking Entroposcope*

Posted by: EgonSpengler (---.sns.nottingham.ac.uk)
Date: April 22, 2008 04:33PM

Ooh, what a lovely entroposcope!

You have an acquaintance with the Building of Pope then?

Date: April 22, 2008 05:00PM

I am indeedy, although I'm with the dark side as a history and spanish student so now I only visit the language labs. All my first year lectures were there though- I still love the strange, slightly Escher-esque staircase. Have never seen any ducks in the pond before- have they been forced out of the lake by the geese?

Date: April 22, 2008 07:02PM

The dark side? Surely not! I did a third Spanish in the first year of my BSc; it was very fun but the Mathematics claimed me entirely after that.

As I understand it (it's still my first year here), the ducks are an annual thing. A mother duck always comes in to nest and hatch, and then after a few weeks the RSPB show up and move them somewhere with more food and independence.

There are language people in Pope? Good grief! I thought it was infested solely by Applied Mathematicians.

Where's History? I don't remember seeing a building.

Egon.

Posted by: MuseSusan (---.union.edu)
Date: April 23, 2008 05:31AM

"There are language people in Pope? Good grief! I thought it was infested solely by Applied Mathematicians.

Where's History? I don't remember seeing a building."

If I didn't know you were talking about a college campus, this conversation would be so surreal…

Posted by: EgonSpengler (---.nottingham.ac.uk)
Date: April 23, 2008 09:02AM

You have no idea... we're contemplating replacing the ducklings with rubber ducks once the RSPB take them away to a better feeding location.

Surreal? Surreal is a herring on stilts.

Date: April 23, 2008 02:47PM

Ooh, I like the idea of rubber ducks! The history block is right next to the West entrance, on the way to the sports hall. It's a converted house, quite easy to miss if you're not looking for it.

I'll have to keep the location of the language labs secret though- we're trying to keep ourselves free from infestation ;)

Date: April 23, 2008 03:46PM

Ah, so you're removed from the rest of the uni, deeply secluded in the deepest parkland.

We want to wait until the undergrads are gone before even seriously considering rubber ducks, as they would probably be stolen.

Wild West rubber ducks would be best.

Secrecy... it's the only decent way.

Egon.

Posted by: MuseSusan (---.union.edu)
Date: April 24, 2008 06:27AM

If you have a creek or stream anywhere on your campus (any open, flowing, reasonably clean body of water, really) a fun event to organize is a rubber duck race. You sell rubber ducks for some number of days in advance and provide markers and things for people to personalize their ducks. Then on the big day, you tie a string across the stream for the finish line, release all the ducks upstream, and give fabulous prizes to the winners! A few years ago we did one for charity, which was quite successful.

Posted by: BibwitHart (---.253-207-192.VIC.netspace.net.au)
Date: April 24, 2008 06:32AM

Nice idea! I can just imagine the spectators screaming "go ducky, go!"

Date: April 24, 2008 08:40AM

There's no flowing water, blast it! Just a pond and a large lake. The lake gets fed by streams that have been channeled underground. The common room could be flooded out but I'm not sure the guvnors would be all that happy to see rubber duck races down waterfalls on the Pope staircases.

Posted by: Tari (---.ip.grandenetworks.net)
Date: April 24, 2008 07:29PM

bwahaha, My university lies on the Brazos River. I would love to see a hundred rubber duck race down the river! Right next to the crew teams. It would be a bit tricky to collect them all, as the river's pretty wide where we are. Still... It would be entertaining.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You kids with your long hair and Baroque music...

Date: April 25, 2008 08:42AM

Corr. Where's the Brazos River?

Tragedy. We are now reduced to five ducklings.

Egon.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/25/2008 10:12AM by EgonSpengler.

Posted by: Bonzai Kitten (149.135.106.---)
Date: April 25, 2008 02:53PM

<licks lips>

Date: April 25, 2008 03:11PM

<Shot of asteroid moon revolving in space...>

KIIIIIIITTTTTTTEEEEEEEEEEEEEEN!

Posted by: SkidMarks (---.manc.cable.ntl.com)
Date: April 26, 2008 10:48AM

Anyone want to help me fill Nottingham Uni with rubber fake students during the summer vacs? (just to keep the ducks happy, you understand.)

Posted by: bunyip (---.as1.adl6.internode.on.net)
Date: April 27, 2008 01:54AM

BK, remember the oranges. Or ion batter with sweet and sour sauce. Steamed rice optional, especially at $1000 a ton on today's importers' market.

Posted by: MartinB (---.cache.ru.ac.za)
Date: April 27, 2008 09:20AM

Hmmm.... plasmafied duck?

- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

Date: April 27, 2008 10:48AM

Thank goodness noone sensitive is reading this.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 2 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.