New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 3 of 7
Re: Ducklings
Posted by: SkidMarks (---.manc.cable.ntl.com)
Date: April 27, 2008 11:06AM

I resent that! I am very sensitive! We are having duck for lunch and so am offended at the thought of the poor ducklings being maltreated with oranges. Cherries are so much better.

Posted by: Bonzai Kitten (58.163.128.---)
Date: April 27, 2008 01:24PM

"The time has come," the Walrus said,
"To talk of many things:
Of shoes, and ships, and sealing-wax-
Of cabbages, and kings...

Posted by: EgonSpengler (---.sns.nottingham.ac.uk)
Date: April 28, 2008 06:49AM

In Xanadu did Kubla Khan
A stately pleasure-dome decree :
Where Alph, the sacred river, ran
Through caverns measureless to man
Down to a sunless sea...

Posted by: OC Not (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: April 28, 2008 09:08AM

"Five minutes. That's five minutes Malone, and if it's six just keep walkin'."

Posted by: bunyip (---.as1.adl6.internode.on.net)
Date: April 28, 2008 10:38AM

you're desthpicable!

Posted by: EgonSpengler (---.nottingham.ac.uk)
Date: April 28, 2008 03:11PM

SIGN: Duck Season

Posted by: Bonzai Kitten (58.163.129.---)
Date: April 28, 2008 03:59PM

GRIN

Rabbit season...

Posted by: Tari (---.ip.grandenetworks.net)
Date: April 29, 2008 07:38PM

*delayed reaction* The Brazos is in Texas.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You kids with your long hair and Baroque music...

Posted by: MartinB (---.cache.ru.ac.za)
Date: April 30, 2008 07:12AM

Incoming season! DUCK!

- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

Posted by: OC Not (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: April 30, 2008 10:29AM

Shoot him now, shoot him now.

Date: April 30, 2008 11:07AM

Today our ducklings are learning to dive.

Go, ducklings, go!

Posted by: bunyip (---.as1.adl6.internode.on.net)
Date: April 30, 2008 11:29AM

Why? Are they Italian World Cup Soccer players?

Date: April 30, 2008 11:35AM

They're dunking for food of course!

'Jocularity, jocularity'.

Posted by: Jazz_Sue (---.bb.sky.com)
Date: May 09, 2008 10:29PM

As soon I read the heading, I had to write in. Driving smallest child home from school along the back lanes today, I saw what I took to be an odd-shaped brown coloured peacock crossing the road. Getting closer, I realised it was actually - aaahhh! - a mummy duck leading her little troupe of 12 tiny ducklings (loads more 'aaahhhs'), strutting along proud as punch with her chest thrust out, while they toddled behind in twos. I pulled up right in front of them, watching as they crossed safely and toddled along the side of the road, well pressed in to the verge until they could reach a gap to squeeze through. It was an incredibly human moment, like watching a class of kiddies going for their first swimming lesson.

Of course, then I realised that was exactly what they WERE doing. The lane they'd just come from was predominantly barns and greenhouses, whilst the field she was headed for bordered Gatton Lakes. She had evidently gone somewhere quiet and safe to lay her clutch of eggs, nurtured them till they hatched, kept them safe while they grew their first swim feathers and strengthened their (Aaaahhhh) liddle legs, and then at some magical moment rounded them all up and led them off to the place where SHE probably learned to swim, and which would be their home from now on - a distance of about a mile and a half from the bulb nursery where they'd started out.

A unique and humbling moment.
And like a prat my camcorder was at home on charge, to capture the experience.

Thing is, we EAT duck eggs, and that's what that little family started off as. I just hope they don't all end up as Pike bait.

Posted by: HouseInTheWoods (---.143.gr5.adsl.brightview.com)
Date: May 11, 2008 01:04PM

I remember a similar 'aaaaaaaaah' moment involving two swans, five cygnets and a queue of rush-hour rat-runners trying to avoid motorway traffic by going through our village. As with you, no camcorder or camera on hand, just near-uncontrollable laughter from me as I watched the five cygnets grow tired and sit down right across both lanes of the road, with one parent on either kerb, standing guard, and all the frustrated motorists alternating between "aaaaaaah" and "get out of my way!"*

*Note: I was walking to work.

Posted by: Bonzai Kitten (149.135.107.---)
Date: May 11, 2008 01:45PM

I learned a valuable lesson as a kid.
DONT f*ck with swans. They will KILL YOU.

Posted by: wheelbent (---.range86-152.btcentralplus.com)
Date: May 11, 2008 05:07PM

May I suggest a book to all involved with this thread, the book is called Fup by Jim Dodge.

Synopsis

Set in the California hills and spanning over a hundred years, this story revolves around Grandaddy Jake - 99 years old and a belligerent unreformed gambler, Tiny - adopted by Jake and a gentle giant, and Fup - an uncompromising 20-pound mallard whose presence enforces order in the household.

I found it to be extremely amusing.

This is me

Posted by: Jazz_Sue (---.bb.sky.com)
Date: May 11, 2008 09:40PM

Am busily googling for it, wheelie.
What got me was, this was a once in a lifetime moment, never to be repeated again, and I was there right at that very moment, completely alone, to capture it in my bloody BRAIN CELLS, of all places. Not the safest storage facility by any means.

Another local village - with a pond - has had triangular warning notices put up for the drivers, with pictures of a duck in the middle. Underneath, the message: Caution. Ducks crossing.

Funny, I thought they were Pelican crossings we had ...

Posted by: CannibalRabbit (---.VIC.netspace.net.au)
Date: May 12, 2008 01:20PM

One of my earliest memories is walking to infants school, just under the bridge that's coming up in photo 014 in steeljam's collection of Ffiesta Ffotos and seeing a swan go through the windscreen of a car. Not a pretty sight - and I think it was the driver that came off worst! Do not mess with swans!

Posted by: HouseInTheWoods (---.143.gr5.adsl.brightview.com)
Date: May 12, 2008 02:05PM

I was bitten by a swan in Hamburg -- still have a slight scar under my thumb. I'd run out of bread to feed it, so it just made a grab for my hand. Swans can be pretty scary.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 3 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.