New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: PreviousFirst...9596979899100101102103104105...LastNext
Current Page: 100 of 132
Re: Animal, Vegetable or Mineral?
Posted by: SkidMarks (62.6.182.---)
Date: September 11, 2012 12:08PM

0) vegetable, animal and vegetable, sometimes with vegetable.
1) Is it alive sooner or later - No but variously it was.
2) Is it delicious? - Yes
3) Will it fit in a breadbox? - Yes
4) Has it ever been used in the British Royal household to celebrate the marriage of Princess Victoria of Hesse and by Rhine and Prince Louis of Battenberg? - Not being privvy to the private lives of the British Royal household, and the tabloids have not yet published any transcripts of either of their telephone conversations it is impossible for me to say, but I would doubt it. I would hope, that both the Princess herself and Ella would have come across examples while staying with their grannie. Louie would certainly have partaken while in the Royal Navy.

not numbered) Ought the Navy to have marked it with an S for savoury? - No. It should be marked "SS" for "Senior Service" and nothing to do with any other organisation which could lay claim to those initials, nor ancestry of the family.
5) Is it Old Shag chewing tobacco - No
6) Vegie and navy! Does it contain, or is it in any way connected to, rum? - Sadly, No.
7) Do you own one? No, not at the time of writing, but I did and will do again.

Posted by: OB (---.range109-154.btcentralplus.com)
Date: September 11, 2012 04:48PM

8) It might be a pie

Posted by: SkidMarks (---.bb.sky.com)
Date: September 11, 2012 06:06PM

0) vegetable, animal and vegetable, sometimes with vegetable.
1) Is it alive sooner or later - No but variously it was.
2) Is it delicious? - Yes
3) Will it fit in a breadbox? - Yes
4) Has it ever been used in the British Royal household to celebrate the marriage of Princess Victoria of Hesse and by Rhine and Prince Louis of Battenberg? - Not being privvy to the private lives of the British Royal household, and the tabloids have not yet published any transcripts of either of their telephone conversations it is impossible for me to say, but I would doubt it. I would hope, that both the Princess herself and Ella would have come across examples while staying with their grannie. Louie would certainly have partaken while in the Royal Navy.

not numbered) Ought the Navy to have marked it with an S for savoury? - No. It should be marked "SS" for "Senior Service" and nothing to do with any other organisation which could lay claim to those initials, nor ancestry of the family.
5) Is it Old Shag chewing tobacco - No
6) Vegie and navy! Does it contain, or is it in any way connected to, rum? - Sadly, No.
7) Do you own one? No, not at the time of writing, but I did and will do again.
8) It might be a pie - Why didn't I think of that? - No

Posted by: MuseSusan (---.public.wayport.net)
Date: September 11, 2012 09:54PM

9) Is it the case that no matter how its components are arranged in space, there exists a plane that will slice each component precisely in half (by volume), as in the Ham Sandwich Theorem?

Date: September 11, 2012 11:14PM

0) vegetable, animal and vegetable, sometimes with vegetable. White bread/bacon/white bread and optional tomato ketchup
1) Is it alive sooner or later - No but variously it was. Both the wheat and the pig were alive
2) Is it delicious? - Yes Who can argue against a bacon butty?
3) Will it fit in a breadbox? - Yes Of course
4) Has it ever been used in the British Royal household to celebrate the marriage of Princess Victoria of Hesse and by Rhine and Prince Louis of Battenberg? - Not being privvy to the private lives of the British Royal household, and the tabloids have not yet published any transcripts of either of their telephone conversations it is impossible for me to say, but I would doubt it. I would hope, that both the Princess herself and Ella would have come across examples while staying with their grannie. Louie would certainly have partaken while in the Royal Navy. Sailors and bacon butties? I think so.
not numbered) Ought the Navy to have marked it with an S for savoury? - No. It should be marked "SS" for "Senior Service" and nothing to do with any other organisation which could lay claim to those initials, nor ancestry of the family. Not a Navy exclusive
5) Is it Old Shag chewing tobacco - No, but a good guess.
6) Vegie and navy! Does it contain, or is it in any way connected to, rum? - Sadly, No. Rum is a fine accompaniament to a bacon butty, but not essential.
7) Do you own one? No, not at the time of writing, but I did and will do again. Sorry, as soon as I get one, I eat it, so the chances of posting while I still own one is slight.
8) It might be a pie - Why didn't I think of that? - No. Sadly, pies are off my personal menu, but bacon, which should be, has an exemption (I don't tell the doctor.)
9) Is it the case that no matter how its components are arranged in space, there exists a plane that will slice each component precisely in half (by volume), as in the Ham Sandwich Theorem? -Yes (it was in fact a bacon sandwich, but close enough! (the extra veg was of course tomato ketchup.)

Posted by: MuseSusan (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: September 12, 2012 12:55AM

Hooray! I am pleased to have guessed right, if in a somewhat convoluted way! (I will have to note, however, that any properly delicious bacon sandwich must have more than one slice of delicious bacon, and therefore along with the two slices of bread has more than three components. Thus it is not subject to the Ham Sandwich Theorem (unless you count all the bacon as one (disconnected) component).)

Okay, here goes:

0) Animal, vegetable, or synthetic (which I'm not sure which of the three it falls under) or any blend of these in any proportions. But most commonly mostly animal.

Posted by: bunyip (---.tafe.sa.edu.au)
Date: September 12, 2012 05:41AM

1) Sounds horribly like it is, or consists of some, margarine or other artificial spread.

Posted by: MuseSusan (---.wireless.albany.edu)
Date: September 12, 2012 03:43PM

0) Animal, vegetable, or synthetic (which I'm not sure which of the three it falls under) or any blend of these in any proportions. But most commonly mostly animal.
1) Sounds horribly like it is, or consists of some, margarine or other artificial spread. Nope, neither margarine nor other artificial spread. And the object in question would not be improved by the addition of such a spread.

Posted by: SkidMarks (62.6.182.---)
Date: September 12, 2012 04:49PM

Is it edible?

Date: September 12, 2012 07:58PM

1) Sounds horribly like it is, or consists of some, margarine or other artificial spread. Nope, neither margarine nor other artificial spread. And the object in question would not be improved by the addition of such a spread.
2) Is it edible? No

Posted by: EgonSpengler (---.as43234.net)
Date: September 14, 2012 08:50PM

Is it an item of clothing?

Date: September 15, 2012 05:30PM

2) Is it edible? No
3) Is it an item of clothing? Yes

Posted by: OB (---.range86-178.btcentralplus.com)
Date: September 17, 2012 09:15AM

4) Is it any thing to do with BABIES?

Date: September 17, 2012 11:16PM

2) Is it edible? No
4) Is it any thing to do with BABIES? No, except in an exciting variety of tangential and convoluted ways. Basically, no.

Date: September 18, 2012 07:12AM

5) Is it worn on the feet?

Date: September 20, 2012 07:21PM

2) Is it edible? No
4) Is it any thing to do with BABIES? No, except in an exciting variety of tangential and convoluted ways. Basically, no.
5) Is it worn on the feet? No

Posted by: geg (---.15-2.cable.virginmedia.com)
Date: September 23, 2012 09:07AM

6) Is it worn on the head?

Posted by: OB (---.range86-178.btcentralplus.com)
Date: September 23, 2012 06:32PM

7) a woolly thing made from the convoluted coat of a" woolly bugger."

Date: September 23, 2012 10:31PM

2) Is it edible? No
5) Is it worn on the feet? No
6) Is it worn on the head? Only by especially drunken people.
7) a woolly thing made from the convoluted coat of a" woolly bugger." Most commonly, yes. (As in, yes, it's commonly made of wool.)

Posted by: EgonSpengler (---.as43234.net)
Date: September 24, 2012 02:43PM

Is it an item of underwear?

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...9596979899100101102103104105...LastNext
Current Page: 100 of 132

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.