New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3637383940414243444546...LastNext
Current Page: 41 of 132
Re: Animal, Vegetable or Mineral?
Posted by: MuseSusan (---.wireless.albany.edu)
Date: September 29, 2010 06:49PM

I think my question didn't get counted above, even though it was answered, so that would mean we have 3 questions left. As I can think of three basic types of cutlery I'll go with:

18) Is it a spoon?
18a) If yes, does it have your postal code engraved on the back?

Posted by: delacuesta (---.adsl.xs4all.nl)
Date: September 29, 2010 09:55PM

I put your uncounted question as (11a) as I took it to be a subspecification of (11). But irrespective of counting, the item has been named just in time. Congratulations.

00) Mineral - Made of metal.
01) Is it bigger than the average breadbin? No, definitely smaller.
02) Does it have moving parts? No, not unless tampered with.
03) Does it require electricity to function? No. Quite the contrary.
04) Does it produce light? No.
05) Is it meant to be in contact with the human body? Yes.
06) Does it form a loop when worn? No, not unless tampered with.
07) Is it primarily decorative (as opposed to practical)? No, with one important exception.
08) Does it have a display? No.
09) Once in contact with a human body, is it normally left where it was placed? No.
10) Is it a fastening? No.
11) Does it require training to use the item? Yes, definitely.
11a) Is this a type of training that most Fforumites are likely to have had at some point? Yes.
12) Is it a weapon? No. It could be used as such but is not meant to.
13) Is it a musical instrument? No. It could be used as such but is not meant to.
14) In normal use, is it held in the hand(s)? Yes.
15) Given that I'm too old to be truly decadent, too young to be eccentric and too dull to be Bohemian, am I more likely to find one in my kitchen than my bedroom? Yes.
16) Cutlery of some sort? Yes.
17) Is it a spoon? Yes!!!!!
(hors concours) If yes, does it have your postal code engraved on the back? No, I just envisaged a spoon. This was the (Ffordean) exception that I mentioned on question (07) though.

The "not unless tampered with" clause refers to Uri Geller and the like.

I hesitated on the "contact with the human body" question, as one could wear gloves, but I decided that Yes was the most honest, even if potentially delusive, answer.

The "require training" question made me think of countless home videos of small children making improper use of spoons, proving that training is required.

MuseSusan, the honour of taking the lead is on you.

[edited to improve spelling]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/30/2010 08:31AM by delacuesta.

Posted by: MuseSusan (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: September 30, 2010 06:26AM

Recently I've seen people at craft fairs having made all manner of jewelry and sculptures out of forks and spoons, bent into bracelets and so on. With forks a lot of times they'll melt and twist the tines into interesting designs.

I quite agree on the training aspect, and in fact cutlery was what I had in mind with the question.

---------------------------

Okay, here goes! Whee!

0) The item can be entirely animal, entirely vegetable, or a combination. Many examples have mineral in their composition as well.

Posted by: geg (---.15-2.cable.virginmedia.com)
Date: September 30, 2010 09:33AM

1) I feel curiously compelled to know if it would fit in an average sized bread bin.

Posted by: Violetmoon (---.asa.utk.edu)
Date: September 30, 2010 02:09PM

<darn it!>

then I'll go with -

2) Does it have moving parts?

Date: September 30, 2010 03:57PM

0) The item can be entirely animal, entirely vegetable, or a combination. Many examples have mineral in their composition as well.
1) I feel curiously compelled to know if it would fit in an average sized bread bin. Most definitely, yes!
2) Does it have moving parts? Already a hard question! In the strictest sense, yes, parts of it can move. However, in the interest of not being misleading, I would say do not put too much stock in this answer.

Posted by: SkidMarks (---.196.160.83.threembb.co.uk)
Date: September 30, 2010 05:24PM

Is it decorative, rather than functional?

Date: September 30, 2010 11:15PM

1) I feel curiously compelled to know if it would fit in an average sized bread bin. Most definitely, yes!
2) Does it have moving parts? In the strictest sense, yes, parts of it can move.
3) Is it decorative, rather than functional? Another tough one! In the strictest sense it is not decorative and serves a definite function. (If this gets too tough I will add a qualifier to this answer, but I'm afraid it might give the game away at this point!)

Posted by: SkidMarks (---.mia.three.co.uk)
Date: October 01, 2010 12:14PM

Would I want to eat it?

Date: October 01, 2010 03:42PM

2) Does it have moving parts? In the strictest sense, yes, parts of it can move.
3) Is it decorative, rather than functional? In the strictest sense it is not decorative and serves a definite function.
4) Would I want to eat it? No!

Posted by: MistyCat (---.dial.dyn.ihug.co.nz)
Date: October 01, 2010 09:10PM

Is it clothing?

Date: October 02, 2010 01:06AM

3) Is it decorative, rather than functional? In the strictest sense it is not decorative and serves a definite function.
5) Is it clothing? No

Date: October 02, 2010 09:56AM

Is it a household item?

Date: October 02, 2010 03:57PM

5) Is it clothing? No
6) Is it a household item? I would not classify it as such, although in the past it has conveyed connotations of domesticity.

Posted by: ibborobb (---.ipv4.regusnet.com)
Date: October 05, 2010 12:59PM

Is it alive?

Date: October 05, 2010 06:36PM

5) Is it clothing? No
6) Is it a household item? I would not classify it as such, although in the past it has conveyed connotations of domesticity.
7) Is it alive? No

Date: October 05, 2010 08:48PM

Is it worn on the body? (as a non-clothing item)

Date: October 05, 2010 09:07PM

5) Is it clothing? No
7) Is it alive? No
8) Is it worn on the body? (as a non-clothing item) No

I'm starting to get worried that things are getting a bit misleading, so I think after ten questions I'll add a clarification that applies to several of these answers.

Date: October 06, 2010 07:36PM

Does one buy it in the supermarket?

Date: October 06, 2010 11:57PM

5) Is it clothing? No
7) Is it alive? No
8) Is it worn on the body? (as a non-clothing item) No
9) Does one buy it in the supermarket? Not in any supermarket I've ever entered.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3637383940414243444546...LastNext
Current Page: 41 of 132

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.