New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3738394041424344454647...LastNext
Current Page: 42 of 132
Re: Animal, Vegetable or Mineral?
Posted by: Violetmoon (---.asa.utk.edu)
Date: October 07, 2010 01:48PM

Is it a common item? Would you expect the average person or family to have one?

Posted by: MuseSusan (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: October 07, 2010 04:31PM

0) The item can be entirely animal, entirely vegetable, or a combination. Many examples have mineral in their composition as well.
1) I feel curiously compelled to know if it would fit in an average sized bread bin. Most definitely, yes!
2) Does it have moving parts? In the strictest sense, yes, parts of it can move.
3) Is it decorative, rather than functional? In the strictest sense it is not decorative and serves a definite function.
4) Would I want to eat it? No!
5) Is it clothing? No
6) Is it a household item? I would not classify it as such, although in the past it has conveyed connotations of domesticity.
7) Is it alive? No
8) Is it worn on the body? (as a non-clothing item) No
9) Does one buy it in the supermarket? Not in any supermarket I've ever entered.
10) Is it a common item? Would you expect the average person or family to have one? Not common, but not exactly uncommon either. Those who have one usually have more than one, but lots of people don't have any.

Clarification time! The answers to 3, 5, and sometimes 6 and 8 are only correct for the item in its current state.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/09/2010 04:07PM by MuseSusan.

Posted by: delacuesta (---.adsl.xs4all.nl)
Date: October 07, 2010 09:16PM

Do you call that clarification? (no, this is not a question).

Is it primarily used outdoors?

Date: October 07, 2010 11:22PM

0) The item can be entirely animal, entirely vegetable, or a combination. Many examples have mineral in their composition as well.
1) I feel curiously compelled to know if it would fit in an average sized bread bin. Most definitely, yes!
2) Does it have moving parts? In the strictest sense, yes, parts of it can move.
3) Is it decorative, rather than functional? In the strictest sense it is not decorative and serves a definite function.
5) Is it clothing? No
6) Is it a household item? I would not classify it as such, although in the past it has conveyed connotations of domesticity.
7) Is it alive? No
9) Does one buy it in the supermarket? Not in any supermarket I've ever entered.
10) Is it a common item? Would you expect the average person or family to have one? Not common, but not exactly uncommon either. Those who have one usually have more than one, but lots of people don't have any.
11) Is it primarily used outdoors? No, it could be used equally indoors and outdoors.

And yes, I do call that a clarification, and a hint in that you should be wondering what other states it could be in…

Posted by: geg (---.15-2.cable.virginmedia.com)
Date: October 08, 2010 08:58AM

12) Does it have anything to do with fire?

Posted by: EgonSpengler (---.is.nottingham.ac.uk)
Date: October 08, 2010 09:05AM

All hints should be welcomed!

13) If 12) has a yes: Does its use involve water?
13) If 12) has a no: Is it recreational?

Date: October 08, 2010 09:06AM

Worries that thread has turned into flow chart - panics.

Date: October 08, 2010 02:35PM

5) Is it clothing? No
7) Is it alive? No
11) Is it primarily used outdoors? No, it could be used equally indoors and outdoors.
12) Does it have anything to do with fire? Well yes, in the sense that it would burn if you got it hot enough. The particular example in front of me is of a material that is actually quite hard to burn. But in any case the answer is unambiguously no.
13) Is it recreational? Nowadays almost exclusively recreational.
(I'm tempted to answer the other #13 Does its use involve water, to which the answer is yes, but this would be terribly misleading and it would not be very nice of me to do that.)

Hopes the thread will continue to become a flow chart, since that would be a story for the ages: "Once when the world was young I played a game of Nondeterministic Animal, Vegetable, Mineral…"

Date: October 09, 2010 04:09PM

Oops, mistake made! In my earlier post I said that the answers to 3 and 4 were only true for the current state. That's not correct. The answer to 4 is still no regardless of the state, but question 5 IS dependent on the state.

Date: October 11, 2010 09:09AM

Is it something you would buy?

Date: October 11, 2010 03:41PM

5) Is it clothing? No
7) Is it alive? No
12) Does it have anything to do with fire? Well yes, in the sense that it would burn if you got it hot enough. The particular example in front of me is of a material that is actually quite hard to burn. But in any case the answer is unambiguously no.
14) Is it something you would buy? Yes

Date: October 12, 2010 09:37AM

Does it require electricity?

Date: October 12, 2010 09:44AM

I'm guessing not if it can be entirely vegetable.

Date: October 12, 2010 10:09AM

Cancel the question...

Is it sporting?

Date: October 12, 2010 02:38PM

5) Is it clothing? No
7) Is it alive? No
12) Does it have anything to do with fire? No.
15) Is it sporting? No

It also does not require electricity. (I'm being nice.)

Date: October 12, 2010 04:54PM

Would a dog think before eating it?

Posted by: MuseSusan (---.wireless.albany.edu)
Date: October 12, 2010 07:39PM

5) Is it clothing? No
7) Is it alive? No
12) Does it have anything to do with fire? No.
15) Is it sporting? No
16) Would a dog think before eating it? Nope, in fact my friend's dog has attempted to eat several of mine. (This does not imply that it is in any way food-like!)

Date: October 13, 2010 09:41AM

<wonders if the shark has been jumped>

Ah, impertinent questions are always rewarded!

Date: October 13, 2010 02:35PM

Might I suggest that you continue to fish for objects that might later be turned into clothing or other items?

Date: October 13, 2010 05:57PM

Where did the shark come from? I think I must have taken a wrong turning at the flow chart. It's not got anything to do with water and isn't clothing, but we might want to fish for items to be turned into clothing. I tried thinking about it, but I don't think there is enough absinthe in the house for that level of duality. On the plus side, I'm pretty sure its not an electric eel.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3738394041424344454647...LastNext
Current Page: 42 of 132

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.