New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3839404142434445464748...LastNext
Current Page: 43 of 132
Re: Animal, Vegetable or Mineral?
Posted by: EgonSpengler (---.zone6.bethere.co.uk)
Date: October 13, 2010 06:58PM

Again, entirely clueless, and still unwilling to win and go again!

Posted by: SkidMarks (---.196.160.186.threembb.co.uk)
Date: October 14, 2010 05:32PM

Is it something found rather than bought?

Posted by: MuseSusan (---.wireless.albany.edu)
Date: October 14, 2010 09:19PM

0) The item can be entirely animal, entirely vegetable, or a combination. Many examples have mineral in their composition as well.
1) I feel curiously compelled to know if it would fit in an average sized bread bin. Most definitely, yes!
2) Does it have moving parts? In the strictest sense, yes, parts of it can move.
3) Is it decorative, rather than functional? In the strictest sense it is not decorative and serves a definite function.
4) Would I want to eat it? No!
5) Is it clothing? No
6) Is it a household item? I would not classify it as such, although in the past it has conveyed connotations of domesticity.
7) Is it alive? No
8) Is it worn on the body? (as a non-clothing item) No
9) Does one buy it in the supermarket? Not in any supermarket I've ever entered.
10) Is it a common item? Would you expect the average person or family to have one? Not common, but not exactly uncommon either. Those who have one usually have more than one, but lots of people don't have any.
11) Is it primarily used outdoors? No, it could be used equally indoors and outdoors.
12) Does it have anything to do with fire? No.
13) Is it recreational? Nowadays almost exclusively recreational.
14) Is it something you would buy? Yes
15) Is it sporting? No
16) Would a dog think before eating it? Nope, in fact my friend's dog has attempted to eat several of mine. (This does not imply that it is in any way food-like!)
17) Is it something found rather than bought? No, it's usually bought, although some folks like to make theirs from an even raw-er raw material before using the item in question to make something else.

Posted by: annie (164.53.222.---)
Date: October 18, 2010 02:42AM

Is it a clothes peg?

Posted by: MuseSusan (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: October 18, 2010 05:17AM

0) The item can be entirely animal, entirely vegetable, or a combination. Many examples have mineral in their composition as well.
1) I feel curiously compelled to know if it would fit in an average sized bread bin. Most definitely, yes!
2) Does it have moving parts? In the strictest sense, yes, parts of it can move.
3) Is it decorative, rather than functional? In the strictest sense it is not decorative and serves a definite function.
5) Is it clothing? No
6) Is it a household item? I would not classify it as such, although in the past it has conveyed connotations of domesticity.
7) Is it alive? No
9) Does one buy it in the supermarket? Not in any supermarket I've ever entered.
10) Is it a common item? Would you expect the average person or family to have one? Not common, but not exactly uncommon either. Those who have one usually have more than one, but lots of people don't have any.
11) Is it primarily used outdoors? No, it could be used equally indoors and outdoors.
15) Is it sporting? No
16) Would a dog think before eating it? Nope, in fact my friend's dog has attempted to eat several of mine. (This does not imply that it is in any way food-like!)
17) Is it something found rather than bought? No, it's usually bought, although some folks like to make theirs from an even raw-er raw material before using the item in question to make something else.
18) Is it a clothes peg? No

Gosh, I thought this would be a lot easier. I hope you'll all agree with my answers to some of the more ambiguous questions once you find out what it is!

Posted by: EgonSpengler (---.is.nottingham.ac.uk)
Date: October 18, 2010 09:15AM

Ah, it's always hard to be the answerer!

Posted by: geg (---.15-2.cable.virginmedia.com)
Date: October 19, 2010 08:58AM

19) Paint brush?

Date: October 19, 2010 04:48PM

5) Is it clothing? No
7) Is it alive? No
15) Is it sporting? No
19) Paint brush? No

One question left! To repeat an earlier clarification, the item in question is not clothing in its current state, but it is something that might at a later time be turned into clothing (or something else).

Date: October 20, 2010 02:00AM

Is it a piece/bolt/length of fabric?

Date: October 20, 2010 04:22AM

5) Is it clothing? No
7) Is it alive? No
15) Is it sporting? No
19) Paint brush? No
20) Is it a piece/bolt/length of fabric? Closest yet, but no

The item in question is a ball of yarn! I have a greater sympathy to those who have come before me and had trouble with some of the more ambiguous questions. Since yarn is extremely flexible, I felt that my answer to the "moving parts" question was accurate, and I would say that yarn is not normally worn on the body before it has been knitted, crocheted, or woven (and is therefore no longer a ball).

Since nobody got it, does this mean I get to go again?
----------------------------------------------------------------

0) The item is entirely animal.

Posted by: EgonSpengler (---.is.nottingham.ac.uk)
Date: October 20, 2010 09:20AM

Well volunteered!

Is it alive?

Posted by: MistyCat (---.dial.dyn.ihug.co.nz)
Date: October 20, 2010 09:41AM

Is it a cat?

Date: October 20, 2010 02:11PM

So either question three or question one then, or possibly even question two, if the answer to the first question one is "no" and MuseSusan generously disregards question two on the grounds that MC didn't specify that it was a dead cat. Unless of course either MS or MC are actually Schrodinger in which case......

01), 02). 03) Does it fit in a breadbox?

Date: October 20, 2010 03:41PM

1) Is it alive? Yes!
2) Is it a cat? I suppose by quantum physics there is a certain probability that it might spontaneously turn into a cat, and since I have not observed the animal in question recently I cannot therefore disregard the possibility that it might now be inclined to meow. But classically, no, it is not a cat.
3) Does it fit in a breadbox? Yes (unless you accept the Axiom of Choice and therefore a version of the Banach-Tarski paradox which indicates that the item could be cut into pieces and rearranged to form an identical copy a million times the size, in which case it would not ft in a breadbox).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/20/2010 03:42PM by MuseSusan.

Posted by: SkidMarks (---.197.167.16.threembb.co.uk)
Date: October 20, 2010 05:25PM

does it have more than 4 limbs?

Date: October 20, 2010 07:24PM

1) Is it alive? Yes!
2) Is it a cat? No, it is not a cat.
3) Does it fit in a breadbox? Yes
4) Does it have more than 4 limbs? Yes! (This might end up being too easy.)

Date: October 21, 2010 02:36AM

a big, hairy, scary spider? <shudders>

Date: October 21, 2010 04:42AM

1) Is it alive? Yes!
2) Is it a cat? No, it is not a cat.
3) Does it fit in a breadbox? Yes
4) Does it have more than 4 limbs? Yes!
5) A big, hairy, scary spider? No (but I think spiders are interesting rather than scary, so this doesn't rule out a small, smooth, and/or friendly spider!)

Date: October 21, 2010 12:11PM

<Really , really wishes the answer to number one had been "no". Runs away and hides.>

Posted by: Violetmoon (---.asa.utk.edu)
Date: October 21, 2010 01:20PM

<trying not to be mad b/c I never get to ask the breadbox question anymore>

<giggles at geg> You should see what I caught in my house this morning. Took him/her/it outside and told it to go play elsewhere. Wolf spider. It was lost, that's the first one in my house in 20 years. They normally stay in the basement.

6) Does it normally live in water?

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3839404142434445464748...LastNext
Current Page: 43 of 132

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.