New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: PreviousFirst...5455565758596061626364...LastNext
Current Page: 59 of 132
Re: Animal, Vegetable or Mineral?
Posted by: Marit (---.tbcn.telia.com)
Date: February 10, 2011 07:30PM

0) It is vegetable and mineral.
1) Is it a made thing? Yes.
2) Would it usually be found in a kitchen? No. In fact, I would be rather surprised if it has ever been found in a kitchen.
3) Is it usually found indoors? Yes and no. These days, it's rarely found at all, but when found, it's probably usually indoors. However, when it was more common, it was usually found outdoors, so the answer depends on when the question is asked.
4) Is it triangular at all? No.
5) Does it hold liquid? Yes. It is essential that it does, but holding liquid is not its main use.
6) Could it be carried without assistance by the average human man? No.
7) Is it a thermometer? No.
8) Is it bigger than a bread box? Yes.
9) Does it have any parts that can be moved in the usual use of the object? Yes, plenty of them.
10) Is it a steam engine? No.

Posted by: delacuesta (---.adsl.xs4all.nl)
Date: February 10, 2011 08:11PM

PrinzHilde Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Is it a steam engine?

Do vegetable steam engines exist????

(an intelligent question in all other respects though)

Posted by: PrinzHilde (---.dip.t-dialin.net)
Date: February 11, 2011 12:54AM

vegetable and mineral. There is the coal/oil for heating and grease for lubing everything.

Posted by: Violetmoon (---.asa.utk.edu)
Date: February 11, 2011 03:22PM

<giggling at the thought of a steam engine in my living room, then giggling more at a very large vegetable steamer...>

it is essential that it hold liquid. hmmm.

Is it normally stationary rather than easily moved?

Posted by: Marit (---.tbcn.telia.com)
Date: February 11, 2011 07:17PM

2) Would it usually be found in a kitchen? No. In fact, I would be rather surprised if it has ever been found in a kitchen.
3) Is it usually found indoors? Yes and no. These days, it's rarely found at all, but when found, it's probably usually indoors. However, when it was more common, it was usually found outdoors, so the answer depends on when the question is asked.
5) Does it hold liquid? Yes. It is essential that it does, but holding liquid is not its main use.
9) Does it have any parts that can be moved in the usual use of the object? Yes, plenty of them.
11) Is it normally stationary rather than easily moved? According to our favourite author, it can be difficult to start the moving of it, and a certain amount of skill is also needed for moving it further, but as it is meant to move: No.

Posted by: delacuesta (---.adsl.xs4all.nl)
Date: February 13, 2011 09:10PM

Ah, but now you start to give away valuable hints...

We still have 9 questions to go, but I'm not good at dosing equally...

Is it meant to fly?

Posted by: Marit (159.190.240.---)
Date: February 14, 2011 09:02AM

11) Is it normally stationary rather than easily moved? According to our favourite author, it can be difficult to start the moving of it, and a certain amount of skill is also needed for moving it further, but as it is meant to move: No.
12) Is it meant to fly? No.

Posted by: geg (---.15-2.cable.virginmedia.com)
Date: February 14, 2011 09:06AM

13) Does it have wheels?

Posted by: Marit (159.190.251.---)
Date: February 14, 2011 09:26AM

13) Does it have wheels? Yes.

Posted by: Bonzai Kitten (---.VIC.netspace.net.au)
Date: February 14, 2011 01:45PM

14) Did Ms Havisham break the land-speed record in it?

Part time Quantum Elephant hollower

Date: February 14, 2011 02:03PM

14) Did Ms Havisham break the land-speed record in it? No.

Date: February 14, 2011 02:06PM

15) Is it an Austin Allegro?

Date: February 14, 2011 02:08PM

15) Is it an Austin Allegro? No.

Date: February 14, 2011 02:39PM

As it is not meant to move, I would suggest that is it not an automobile in the normal sense of the meaning.

I'm trying to think of what has wheels that is not meant to move.

We have 5 questions left...

Is it big enough for a person to use it as a house?

Date: February 14, 2011 03:32PM

Violetmoon, I think you read the answer to 11) too quickly. It IS meant to move, so it is NOT normally stationary rather than easily moved.

16) Is it big enough for a person to use it as a house? No, not normally (although, as some unfortunate people live in cardboard boxes and the like, it depends on the person).

Date: February 14, 2011 07:40PM

Marit, thank you, I was a bit tangled in the sentence structure. My fault, I'm sure. I rewrote it so my fuzzy little brain will keep it straight:

11) Is it normally stationary rather than easily moved? No. According to our favourite author, it can be difficult to start the moving of it, and a certain amount of skill is also needed for moving it further, but it is meant to move.

I was thinking maybe the submarine, but I guess not...

Posted by: EgonSpengler (---.is.nottingham.ac.uk)
Date: February 15, 2011 10:56AM

It has wheels but it's not meant to travel (we'll interpret move as travel as presumably bits of it move in operation).

Also, it's watertight as it's essential that it can contain liquid...

And finally it's heave or unwieldy.

Must cogitate.

Date: February 15, 2011 11:18AM

ES, please read again: It IS meant to move!

Date: February 15, 2011 12:18PM

Oh! (dum dum kitten!)

17) Do the wheels serve as the means for it's movement (as opposed to the mechanisms for it)?

Date: February 15, 2011 12:35PM

16) Is it big enough for a person to use it as a house? No, not normally (although, as some unfortunate people live in cardboard boxes and the like, it depends on the person).
17) Do the wheels serve as the means for it's movement (as opposed to the mechanisms for it)? Yes (at least some of them).

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...5455565758596061626364...LastNext
Current Page: 59 of 132

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.