New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1617181920212223242526...LastNext
Current Page: 21 of 30
Re: Intros again?
Posted by: DisturbinglyAvidFfordeWorshipper (---.kpunet.net)
Date: March 29, 2007 04:46PM

The sadness... is overwhelming... must... discuss... happy things...
Ggaahh!!

Posted by: nemades (---.dsl.in-addr.zen.co.uk)
Date: March 29, 2007 06:28PM

Gold Gold Gold Gold Gold Gold Gold Gold Gold Gold Gold Gold Gold Gold Gold Gold Gold Gold Gold Gold Gold Gold Gold Gold

everyone for the chorus..

Gold Gold Gold Gold Gold Gold Gold Gold Gold Gold Gold Gold Gold Gold Gold Gold Gold Gold Gold Gold Gold Gold Gold Gold Gold Gold Gold Gold Gold GooollllD!

Terry Pratchet has some great ideas about gold!

So Skids, when you say you haven't bothered from the second book does that mean you haven't read Prisoner which is just a totally amazing, really fabulous, one of my all time fav reads?

It is seriously better than Chamber

Posted by: Chris (67.134.168.---)
Date: March 29, 2007 07:24PM

(Sniff) My family was.....killed by gold.

Well, gold-foil-wrapped chocolate bunnies. But still. (Sniff sniff) Thanks a lot, Nemades. No, no, you couldn't have known.

Posted by: DisturbinglyAvidFfordeWorshipper (---.kpunet.net)
Date: March 29, 2007 07:57PM

I said HAPPY! And now... aagh... you... you... those evil bunnies!

Posted by: Chris (67.134.168.---)
Date: March 29, 2007 08:45PM

My....my step-family was killed by happy people. Using many ellipses. (sniff) No, no, you couldn't have known.

Date: March 30, 2007 12:54AM

Damm Goldfinger and his evil Easter celebrations, Chris, I am soo sorry, I just hope that that git gets his come-uppance, him and his evil gold foil bunnies!

Still, it was meant to be a happy song for and smaller (plus one tall ginger one) Ankh Morporkians!

Posted by: Bonzai Kitten (---.static.dsl.dodo.com.au)
Date: March 30, 2007 03:19AM

So the upshot is that we shouldn't call it either philosopher's or sorceror's stone and call it alchemist's stone?

Bah! Let's all go out for an ellipse and choccy bunny and fuggedabahtid.

Posted by: SkidMarks (---.manc.cable.ntl.com)
Date: March 30, 2007 06:39AM

Bonzai Kitten Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> So the upshot is that we shouldn't call it either philosopher's or sorceror's stone and call it alchemist's stone?

Yes. The trouble is that there are too many years of history to re-write. I haven't yet caught up with Zimbabwe/Zambia and the Rhodesias! (Sorry Z-B)

...and nem, yes, you are correct. I haven't read '...Prisoner...'. I don't doubt that it is better than '...Chamber...'. I may at sometime in the future, when I have read everything else, try a third HP book, but I would probably try 'Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell' again, or even give 'The Dubliners' another chance first.

Posted by: MartinB (155.232.128.---)
Date: March 30, 2007 05:25PM

Skid: Zimbabwe is just to the north of South Africa. Zambia is to the NW of that. Rhodesia is the old name for Zimbabwe. It was changed after independence (about 20 odd years ago). I think that is all accurate. :P

Someone mentioned that it was impossible to turn lead into gold. It is possible, just that the energy input is so ridiculously high that it is pointless. And @#$%& to dig it up. And better for South Africa. At least for a while.

- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/30/2007 05:34PM by MartinB.

Date: March 31, 2007 01:15AM

zeriously '...Prisoner...' ;p is really good, I tried Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrel but couldn't get into it, will try again tho at some point, really enjoyed the first book of that Day or Night watch book (which ever is first) hopefully I will have some time soon to read the rest!

Date: March 31, 2007 07:09AM

Thanks for that, Martin, but in fact both were Rhodesia, Zimbabwe Southern, Zambia Nothern, then SR changed to R and then to Z.

My poor feeble brain can't keep up with all these rapid changes. I went to Germany and they wouldn't accept their own currency any more! Then some poor deluded souls in Scotland tried to convince me that they were a separate country with their own parliament and everything,

What chance do I have with renaming some old, mystical stone? (Hang on, perhaps the Aussies can help. Haven't they already solved that problem?)

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

My computer beat me at chess, but I won at kickboxing

Posted by: Bonzai Kitten (---.static.dsl.dodo.com.au)
Date: March 31, 2007 01:29PM

Yes. We renamed it Bruce.

I seem to remember that you *can* turn other metals into gold, but that the gold would be intensly radioactive...

Goodness knows where I picked that up from though.

Posted by: Zambezi_Bushbaby (155.232.128.---)
Date: March 31, 2007 07:18PM

Yay, some people do know their geography reasonably well... :)

Yes, Zimbabwe was Southern Rhodesia then it was changed to Rhodesia when Zambia(formally Northern Rhodesia) gained independance.... then Zims gained independance and was changed to Zimbabwe.

Anyone following the stories on Zim at the moment will know there is some interesting trouble in that part of the world.

----------

"I've always believed that it would be up to the young people to save the Endangered Wildlife for the future." - George Adamson.

Date: March 31, 2007 08:11PM

Ah Skids, you must have come across some SNP peeps (dear god they are strange!) Or else it was probably some people who have had their nose put out of joint cos believe it or not it is VERY difficult to spend Sterling currency from Scotland down 'South' tis very annoying! They keep trying to say we have forged money!!!!

I am all for the union but I wish someone would spread the word that Scottish punds are just as good, but probbaly better! ;p

Date: March 31, 2007 09:22PM

Trouble is Scottish money isn't (and never has been) legal tender in England, but "Common usage" means that some places accept it, especially Northumberland and Cumbria. Throughout England people can accept it if they want to, but as most people aren't used to seeing them,is it worth the risk of forgeries?

Fortunately, Irish Punts don't exist anymore, having been replaced by Euros. (Irish Punts were only worth about 90p and aftyeer bank charges, 75p...)

Posted by: MartinB (155.232.128.---)
Date: April 01, 2007 06:47AM

Meh. I was close enough.

- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

Posted by: Zambezi_Bushbaby (155.232.128.---)
Date: April 01, 2007 09:12AM

Pretty much.... can't remember the independance date of Zambia though...

----------

"I've always believed that it would be up to the young people to save the Endangered Wildlife for the future." - George Adamson.

Posted by: splat21 (195.33.121.---)
Date: April 01, 2007 12:35PM

Actually, Skids, Scottish banknotes aren't legal tender anywhere, even in Scotland, any more than English banknotes are legal tender in Scotland. It all counts as acceptable currency though...

Date: April 01, 2007 01:08PM

Yes, U.K. banknotes are only legal tender in England and Wales. I remember reading somewhere that Scottish notes are not legal tender anywhere, but I couldn't find the book when I wanted to check.

However, Scottish notes are only acceptable currency where someone recognizes them - and with the exception of London, I have always found that as you travel south, the chances of someone accepting them diminishes.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

My computer beat me at chess, but I won at kickboxing

Date: April 01, 2007 06:43PM

Right! thats fine! Me and my much better than yours money will stay up here away from all of you money snobs you can all have a party with your smelly tainted money!!

I am now off to join the SNP and alter all identity documents to say Scottish instead of British!

<goes off to find a corner of the Tree house to decorate with Saltires and thistles and then to go into an extended sulk, swaps clarinet for bagpipes, takes off jodpurs and replaces with kilt>

<sulk!>

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1617181920212223242526...LastNext
Current Page: 21 of 30

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.