New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1213141516171819202122...LastNext
Current Page: 17 of 30
Re: Intros again?
Posted by: MartinB (155.232.128.---)
Date: February 19, 2007 08:35PM

I'm a student. Probably far worse than I should be....

- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

Posted by: MuseSusan (---.union.edu)
Date: February 20, 2007 06:33AM

I have to agree about having the patience of an angel. I tutor calculus to college students, and that's tough enough, but at least they want to be there, want to learn it, know how to learn, and have an attention span of longer than a minute. Grade school teachers deserve to make about ten times what they really make, if you ask me!

Posted by: Mooxico (67.42.115.---)
Date: February 20, 2007 08:42PM

<forwarding Susan's post to our school board...>

I don't know how much patience I have. It was taxed a bit (and at a high rate, I might add) this morning by a couple of students who seemed to have sucked down all the sugary snacks they could find. Bouncing off the ceilings, they were.
Could have been worse, though.

Date: February 20, 2007 10:07PM

Apparently I have the attention span of a cabbage.

Of course, that's only when it's me and some of my friends. Sensei said that one of them has the attention span of a cabbage that needs Ritalin.

Posted by: Bonzai Kitten (---.static.dsl.dodo.com.au)
Date: February 21, 2007 01:13AM

Luckily I have a teacher who can not only match my lack of attention span but when I ramble off topic is more than happy to join me!
The class is going to murder us if we start talking music instead of chemical compounds one more time!

Date: February 21, 2007 03:05AM

That sounds like fun!

Posted by: DisturbinglyAvidFfordeWorshipper (---.gci.net)
Date: February 21, 2007 04:54AM

MartinB!!! You ripped off my lettuce-IQ comparison!!!!!! [see old, squirrel-infested limerick thread] Oh sure, this time it's 'cabbage' and 'attention span', but SAME DIFF!!! I challenge you to a duel!!

<draws squirrel>

En guarde!!!

Date: February 21, 2007 10:46AM

Now *that* sounds like fun!

Posted by: Chris (67.15.24.---)
Date: February 21, 2007 05:22PM

But then, I`ve known several cabbages who could really focus when they needed to.

Posted by: Karen (---.dyn.iinet.net.au)
Date: February 21, 2007 09:29PM

Hi again,

I'm Karen from Melbourne and used to be on the fforum quite a lot a few years ago and now just pop in occassionally. Think on one of my last posts I announced the birth of my new baby - he is about to turn 3 next week so yes, time has flown by! And as someone else has mentioned "1 child is enough (for us)" - sheesh what is it with people, even strangers in supermarkets, giving unsolicited advice on how many kids you "should have"! Sorry, ranting but reading that post struck a chord.

I work part-time (educator/corporate trainer for various organisations and unis) and mind my son other days and rest of time. Love reading - all sorts of stuff. Also one of the older ones (in age and postings) on the Fforum.

This is the only fforum I have ever posted on cos this one really is different, as you'll know, with fun, interesting and non-nasty *except very rarely* comments and posts. Yay for Fforum folk. I also like feeling part of the world outside Melbourne, work and kids stuff.

Oh, too long, I will be off now.

Posted by: SkidMarks (---.manc.cable.ntl.com)
Date: February 22, 2007 07:57AM

Welcome back Karen. Help yourself the some cyber pies. Cholesterol-free and completely lacking in Omega-3.

Posted by: nemades (---.cc.strath.ac.uk)
Date: February 22, 2007 12:05PM

Don't have any kids but I am sure I wouldn't like people coming up to me and giving advice as to how many, my mum wanted more than one, never happened so every time one of her friends got pregnant we got another animal hence the private zoo! (hey - it was a coping strategy I guess!) Anyway, numbers of children is a strange one for peopel to be advising on, however there is a big debate as Labour just conveniantly re-worded an impossible election promise that class sizes should be a maximum of 20 which would have made my future life a heck of a lot easier to now there should be an 'average' of 20 !!!!!!!

Any way back to attention spans, I have a rubbish one in lectures, I keep dozing off however for reading a book I like I can go for days literally only stopping for life's little neccesities - ponies, food etc and I watched 3/4 of season 8 of Stargate yesterday whilst doing my context board - didn't loose the plot once. So I have great span for some things and none for other so I guess in conclusion I am too self indulgent and have very little will power! I know the lectures are helpful but after 2 hours... I am past caring!
Anyway rant and ramble over!

Date: February 22, 2007 12:50PM

I'm sure if we loaded you up on caffeine your concentration span would be a lot longer.
Or at least provide your class mates with some free entertainment.

Posted by: SkidMarks (---.manc.cable.ntl.com)
Date: February 22, 2007 04:48PM

I don't know if these are available where you are, but anyone in the EU who wants a caffeine hit might want to give these a try.

[www.cybercandy.co.uk]

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

My computer beat me at chess, but I won at kickboxing

Date: February 22, 2007 06:03PM

Ooh, I could use those!

Date: February 22, 2007 11:58PM

How long are your lectures? Ours are less than an hour....

Posted by: PrinzHilde (---.dip0.t-ipconnect.de)
Date: February 22, 2007 11:59PM

If you can stand half of it being sugar cristals...

Edit: read this above Martin's post. He overhauled without permission.

Design #3609494995:
It's a newly-discovered breed of fish that keeps your teeth clean, tastes delicious and dissolves in water.
generated with The Prior-Art-O-Matic

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/23/2007 12:16AM by PrinzHilde.

Posted by: nemades (---.dsl.in-addr.zen.co.uk)
Date: February 23, 2007 12:08AM

Generally 1.5 - 2 hours with a couple of 3 hours sprinkled in for a shiny glazed eye effect! The worst was 64 power point slides on the history of Scottish inclusion policy startign in 1730.... I was msning during that lecture (thank goodness for wireless!!!) It was awful so many people walked out it was embarrassing,k apparently it was her first lecture after a period of illness - but honestly it was dire, she had made up very detailed boring slides on an improtant subject which she just read from!

I think people would be very amussed by me on a caffine high, I don't drink coffee but general concensus has deemed this a safer option than the alternative as I get quite enthusiastic about things that I like and also go a bit bouncy! Also same reason people tend to accept me not drinking with little complaint after a while as the results could be messy.

Do you know how socially stigmatising it is to be a non drinker? Homestly, I don't like the taste and I am a controll freak so don't like the odea of being out of control. But people seem to reguard you as some kind of freak and can't accept it, I get offered and bought so many drinks cos people seem to feel so sorry for me like I am not allowed to drink for an external reason so they badger me the whole night. It is slightly better now I can just say that I am driving but still people are horrified! Crazy! People! I am not suffering here!!!

Sorry second rant on this thread now over!

:)

Date: February 23, 2007 01:23AM

I also don't drink alcohol, but I know quite a few who either don't or drink very little and fairly infrequently.

Doesn't make that much difference to me really.

Date: February 23, 2007 03:15AM

My school is a pretty big party school, at least for the freshmen, so my freshman year a lot of my friends were going to parties every weekend (and often during the week) in which they would get extremely drunk. On the rare occasions that I would actually go with them (small parties between friends, usually) they would try and try to get me to drink. They said their goal was to get me drunk by the end of the year, and they had already managed this with one friend who had sworn he was incorruptible. But I refused to let one drop pass my mouth!

The next year everyone calmed down and now a few of them will have one or two drinks occasionally, but that's it. Kind of amusing, really.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1213141516171819202122...LastNext
Current Page: 17 of 30

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.