New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: Previous1234567891011
Current Page: 11 of 11
Re: Vague topic
Posted by: bunyip (---.as1.adl6.internode.on.net)
Date: November 09, 2007 04:02AM

Change of topic:

We decide yesterday to move and among the things we don't want to take with us are a graveyard of books, magazines etc.

I have several million it seems Superman Supacomics, Phantoms, Australian Hot Rod Review, Wheels, Punch magazines (used to work for them - have original Punch cartoon here somewhere.) Batman , etc.

Does anybody know a good place to dispose of them at an adequate rate of remuneration? I've carted the things across Oz/the world for forty years (some of them) and I never get to look at them any more (sob, sob). Plus they weigh too much.

Any advice?

Posted by: OC Not (---.238.61.41.ptr.us.xo.net)
Date: November 09, 2007 07:45PM

E-bay? Just throw it all in a box or two or ten? The bidder has to pay the shipping costs!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/09/2007 07:48PM by OC Not.

Posted by: MartinB (---.cache.ru.ac.za)
Date: November 12, 2007 11:40AM

/me likes Batman.

- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

Posted by: splat21 (195.33.121.---)
Date: November 12, 2007 12:48PM

I'd go with ebay; if they're early comics you should be able to sell them there for a reasonable going rate - check the prices on ebay before you shove them all in a box though because early comics can be worth more than you expect (or you could always sell the Batman comics to Martin, of course...)

Me I prefer the X-Men or Sandman...

Posted by: OC Not (---.238.61.41.ptr.us.xo.net)
Date: November 12, 2007 05:55PM

Loved X-men as a teen. Loved it. Remember when Storm went to the mohawk & leather look? I was so blown away...

Halle is so not Ororo Munroe.

Posted by: robert (61.88.131.---)
Date: November 12, 2007 11:35PM

Get on the phone to Kings Comics (Sydney) or Forbidden Planet (Melb.). They might give you a bulk price on the comics but if there are a lot of older editions, it may be worth emailing them the edition numbers (and/ or dates) and they'll tell you if there are any rarer ones.
I've dealt with both of these comic shops and they are quite fair and honest (compared, for instance, with second hand dealers, who work on the principle of buying for a song and then charging you royalties on the song).

Date: November 14, 2007 07:29AM

Thanks Robert,

I'll look on Ebay next week when convalescing - ie - being in agony and not being allowed to move while busting to go to the bog.

Martin, if you are passing by for some reason - don't ask me why - serendipity rules - or is that randomness? - I'll dig out the Batmans. Got an old original Batman paperback in the collection somewhere - probably with the Mad Books.

Date: November 14, 2007 11:23PM

My chances of "passing by" any location outside South Africa for the next year are unlikely. And after that are more likely to be somewhere remote.

At least they will be if I get a job in exploration.

Date: November 15, 2007 01:40PM

Martin,

Don't bet on it. I used to live in a town named Kingaroy in Queensland in the early/mid 1950s.

We then moved across Oz eventually landing in Perth WA. I moved to Canberra then London in 1977. I met only one person who knew Kingaroy in the mean time.

The first week in London I was in group that contained four other people who lived in Kingaroy or in one of the towns adjacent to it.

I am a Hoffnung fan, and the second week in London I wandered down to the Victoria and Albert Museum and, guess what, they were holding a display of Gerard Hoffnung's Musical cartoons. I met Anetta Hoffnung and still have the books I got there that I didn't previously have, including a copy of 'L'enfant e le sortilage' (apologies if the spelling is wrong - the book is packed away with other goodies like autographed copies of other books -and these are definitely NOT going anywhere near Ebay of second hand book dealers.)

Also Beachcomber mentioned a similar thing in that one of his characters lost her wedding ring at a particular beach and twenty years later at the same beach she was digging in the sand and turned up an old neighbour.

Anything possible will happen!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/16/2007 06:44AM by bunyip.

Date: November 17, 2007 02:23AM

:P Still, I am unlikely to be randomly wandering the hills in Australia very soon.

Posted by: OC Not (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: November 17, 2007 07:16AM

Me neither.

Bummer.

Date: November 17, 2007 11:44AM

You lack optimism, and are forgetting the prime directive of the universe that if anything can go wrong it will.

As we have a few rocks in Oz and some of them may be of interest to someone with a hammer and a knowledge of what they are looking for, it is not inconcievable that we will eet about 40 kilometers east of kalgoorlie in the not too distant future.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011
Current Page: 11 of 11

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.