New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 5 of 10
Re: Words you always thought were words
Posted by: Bonzai Kitten (58.163.132.---)
Date: November 01, 2007 08:09AM

All I can remember about geology is the sniggering when the teacher started talking about mounds and depressions...

Posted by: bunyip (---.as1.adl6.internode.on.net)
Date: November 01, 2007 10:06AM

I cheated - I swapped to Geomorphology which doesn't have to be so hard to hit.

But 'Igneos Petrology' sounds like a mid european name. perhaps someone needing a nom de plume (see other thread) could use it.

It would also be a good name for a street or rather a boulevard.Directions: Go down Igneos Petrology Boulevard, turn left at the mesa, and proceed along Sedimentary Lane until you come to the Moraine.

Just as an aside: In Mallala there is a ''Lois' Lane'. Leads off the Two wells Road.

Posted by: CannibalRabbit (---.VIC.netspace.net.au)
Date: November 01, 2007 11:02AM

Manager-ese, I can't take the credit though that is down to Bonzai Kitten. The deliberate obfuscation of the meaning, or spin, of news with negative connotations - down-sizing, outsourcing, right-sizing. Or corporate mangling or the English language.

Posted by: HouseInTheWoods (81.102.13.---)
Date: November 01, 2007 02:09PM

We have a Quidditch Lane in our village, the story given out being that it's an ancient word for a ditch, although the OED is silent on the subject. Following a local competition, we also now have Lakes Sirius and Whomping Willow.

(edited for spelling)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/02/2007 10:22AM by HouseInTheWoods.

Posted by: Bonzai Kitten (58.163.132.---)
Date: November 02, 2007 03:13AM

Oh dear.

We have a Lois Lane in Dandenong too. I imagine there is a Peter Park(er) around somewhere too.

Posted by: robert (61.88.131.---)
Date: November 02, 2007 04:31AM

Where I grew up there was a Robin Hood Hotel with a Maid Marion Lounge. In Wagga Wagga, we have a Spooner Avenue but, alas, Friar Tuck doesn't live there.

Date: November 02, 2007 10:26AM

Yesterday I spotted the word "flimsicle" in an Amazon review, as in 'the author managed to make the character of Elizabeth I appear flimsicle'. I've discussed this with my husband and we thought it might be a combination of flimsy and whimsical, or perhaps flimsy and popsicle (like an ice lolly which falls apart midway through).

Posted by: BibwitHart (---.rivernet.com.au)
Date: November 03, 2007 03:25AM

Flimsicle, interesting feel to say!

Gong off topic, my favourite real person's name is Petrus Spronk. I just LOVE it!

Did the name change to Lake Sirius make tourists come or something?

There is a place in Frankston that has my name in entirety as it's title! I'll have to visit it one day.

Date: November 03, 2007 10:37AM

Ah, glorious Frankston. halfway between Springvale and Westernport Bay, isn't it?

Date: November 04, 2007 01:44PM

For people not aware of Oz vernacular:

In aboriginal languages when a word is repeated it means 'many of'

So 'Wagga Wagga" (pronounced 'wogga wogga") is aboriginal for 'many Italians'.

Other Oz persons: refute me if you dare!

[Edited later, not from false sense of PC but in case any potential new fforumites should read this thread first and not understand the concept of free speech and free association of consciousness. 'Wagga Wagga' means 'place of many crows'.

I actually like the place, and (nostalgia/neuralgia again) is the only place in OZ where I have hit a pink and grey galah. Coincidentally I was on my way to Canberra at the time. I just hated that big hill going south as the idiots on the road couldn't appreciate just how steep it is and how slow the semitrailers were going up it. I must have been delayed a dozen times while the crash crews pulled cars out from under the trailers as they rear ended the semi's through lack of judgement.

Pre WW2 there used to be 24 pubs in the main street. It was a badge of honour among the young bloods to see if they could have a pint (genuine sized - 660ml - not these ersatz "pints" sold these days) in each bar of all 24 in a day without technicolour yawning to get rid of it. My father told me the way to do it was to start early and play sport between drinks to burn off the alcohol and to stay sober. My mother told me he was tired and sore the next day.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/05/2007 02:01AM by bunyip.

Date: November 04, 2007 01:59PM

Reference earlier comments on shapes and colours: I was reading an article about migraine headaches recently and there was much mention of sufferers 'seeing' coloured shapes when their attacks were in progress. (I don't suffer migraines, for I don't think that I reach the required level of brain complexity and functioning to be susceptible)

The shapes were jagged and bright colours when the attacks were causing sharp pains and were more 'fuzzy' when the pain was at a lower level.

The article went on to mention that migraines are usually associated with excess electric potentials/discharges in the brain.

This would seem to be similar to those persons who 'see' colours with shapes, or hear music with smells.

Science points out that certain stimuli activate select parts of the brain, so it is not inconceivable that a certain proportion of the populace will be more than ordinarily perceptive/susceptible to these sorts of multisensory activities.

Date: November 05, 2007 02:46AM

Interesting. I think I just narrowly missed getting a migraine after finishing my course! Woo hoo I think I also narrowly missed the twenty thou word mark...

Date: November 05, 2007 08:56AM

BibwitHart Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Did the name change to Lake Sirius make tourists
> come or something?

No, it's a brand-new "lake" (read: retention pond-cum-water hazard for future golf course). A big hole was dug, it filled with water, then there was a competition to name it. We're a new community and there wasn't much to do here before we got a pub...

Words you always thought were words
Posted by: zendao42 (---.bhm.bellsouth.net)
Date: November 05, 2007 12:09PM

Anybody that wants my migraines can have them-
never had anything other than nausea & light sensitivity-
if I'd heard the light, I would definitely be hurling...

Signature or shameless self-promotion?
You decide:

[www.myspace.com]

Posted by: Bonzai Kitten (149.135.109.---)
Date: November 05, 2007 01:46PM

Robert, Where did you grow up? Was it Gippsland, by any chance?

Date: November 06, 2007 02:13AM

Would be fun to have meeting like you suggested Kitten! (P.s. did you get my email? should be able to see the show too this year).

Amazing how life revolves around establishments with lots of watery rotten vegetable liquid! The good thing is that there is no chimney smoking indoors now.

Date: November 11, 2007 01:03AM

A point out of order:

In the old Frost Report the word 'prossibly' crops up as an unintended coalescence of 'probably' and 'possibly'.

There was also a mention of a letter from an American lady whose daughter had spent some time in England. She wrote 'that the love of your country is embedded in her yet.'. Frost said that they had not identified where the 'yet' was on a human body.

Date: November 11, 2007 01:03AM

A point out of order:

In the old Frost Report the word 'prossibly' crops up as an unintended coalescence of 'probably' and 'possibly'.

There was also a mention of a letter from an American lady whose daughter had spent some time in England. She wrote 'that the love of your country is embedded in her yet.'. Frost said that they had not identified where the 'yet' was on a human body.

<time for the little white pills again>

Words you always thought were words
Posted by: zendao42 (---.bhm.bellsouth.net)
Date: November 11, 2007 04:24AM

Thought it was supposed to be the green pills this week...

Or were those the ones you take with food- ah, dinner, that's what I'm supposed to be doing now...

Signature or shameless self-promotion?
You decide:

[www.myspace.com]

Posted by: SkidMarks (---.manc.cable.ntl.com)
Date: November 11, 2007 07:51AM

We have a "Bee Fold Lane" (you probabbly need very small fingers to fold a bee),
a "Slag Lane", "Plank Lane" and "Defiance Street" and "Mealhouse Lane" around here as well as more mundane names.

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 5 of 10

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.