New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 7 of 10
Re: Words you always thought were words
Posted by: MartinB (---.cache.ru.ac.za)
Date: November 19, 2007 01:28PM

They still do. :P

Chili.... Really wish I could get a good briyani again.

- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

Posted by: BibwitHart (---.i019124029.rivernet.com.au)
Date: November 20, 2007 03:54AM

CannibalRabbit! Good question, why on earth does VB remain popular??? It tastes greasy and no matter how cold the VB is, it tastes warm. I read somewhere that it is filtered with fish scales in addition to not being brewed properly (artificially brewed).

Posted by: robert (61.88.131.---)
Date: November 20, 2007 05:16AM

My favourite drop is Coopers, from South Australia but I'll go out on a limb here and let all of the United Kingdomers hereabouts shoot me down in flames for being the tasteless gorm I am, by saying that I quite enjoy the English ale, Newcastle Brown, aka 'The Dog' (according to the nice little story on the back label).

I'm not sure what would be wrong with filtering something through fish scales; surely they'd be washed or something. It's not as if there's a hairy armed-pitted fish monger at the top of the brewing tank flopping guts and heads into the amber fluid - though I wouldn't put it past the Victorians to do just that with a batch about to be sent to NSW.

If fish scales can be used for filtering, I wonder if finger and toenail clippings would do the job? There's a nice little subsiduary industry! You could go round all the local manicurists and issue them with nail bins and offer weekly collections; make a fortune in no time, that would.

Posted by: CannibalRabbit (---.VIC.netspace.net.au)
Date: November 20, 2007 10:29AM

The really funny thing is that they manage to stick VB in another bottle, call it Crown Lager and sell it as premium beer, charging as much as they do for the good imported beers. And you are right the thing that makes it not proper beer is the bubble as fermented in there they are just CO2 put in there the same way as in fizzy drink - how can you call that "beer".

Posted by: Bonzai Kitten (58.163.128.---)
Date: November 20, 2007 12:25PM

Because [ url=http://uncyclopedia.org/wiki/Bogan ], people [ /url ]people in [ url=http://uncyclopedia.org/wiki/Pakenham ], Pakenham [ /url ] buy VB.

And for those who read the article, the word "Goon" for nasty @#$%& comes-inna-cardboard-box wine is named for the little town just next door to pakkie.

Date: November 20, 2007 10:01PM

Kitten, you show your youth.
"Goon" is a corruption of 'flagon'... fla-goon.
Large, firken-sized bottles (flagons) was the way we used to buy @#$%& plonk before the Aussie bloke invented the bag-in-a-box cask.

I can remember when a goon was about $2.60 and you got 40 cents back on the bottle. $1.80 could get you a flagon if you weren't a connoisseur like I was, or if you needed a @#$%& paint-stripper.

Posted by: BibwitHart (---.i019124153.rivernet.com.au)
Date: November 21, 2007 03:33AM

Go Coopers! (not that I'm advertising for them at all...)! Yes the pumping in of CO2 sure makes a difference, beer should ferment naturally for approx a week before bottling, has Much better flavour than artificially aged stuff.

I thought a goon was a big thick bloke who lurks in corners... like certain friends..

Posted by: BibwitHart (---.i019124153.rivernet.com.au)
Date: November 21, 2007 03:33AM

Go Coopers! (not that I'm advertising for them at all...)! Yes the pumping in of CO2 sure makes a difference, beer should ferment naturally for approx a week before bottling, has Much better flavour than artificially aged stuff.

I thought a goon was a big bloke who lurks in corners... like certain friends..

Date: November 21, 2007 01:20PM

I thought a Goon was Spike Milligan, Peter Sellers or Harry Seacombe?

Posted by: Bonzai Kitten (149.135.107.---)
Date: November 21, 2007 02:19PM

lol, well, we allus named it goon after The Goon- the local pub in nar nar goon that didn't mind selling to kiddies (back in the day- all very proper now... wheeeeerrrrrrl, for a given value of proper). Maybe the pub itself was named after the flagoons? And us naming our goon-boxes after it was one of those weird twists that makes being a bogan all that much more interesting.

(And do I always lurk?)

Posted by: OC Not (---.238.61.41.ptr.us.xo.net)
Date: November 21, 2007 05:18PM

I confess to drinking the occasional Fosters. And more than the occasional Newcastle...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/21/2007 05:39PM by OC Not.

Posted by: BibwitHart (---.i019124170.rivernet.com.au)
Date: November 22, 2007 09:54AM

Lurking only happens once a person gets over six feet tall, like certain persons we know!

Date: November 22, 2007 10:01PM

A child wrote this poem (or peom, to use the vernacular) in one of the first classes I ever taught:

Dassy Dassy, I'm half grace
All for the love at you
It woot be a stillish marge
I gate afford a car
But lurk look swit
Apon the sit
Of a bikacyce built for two.

I can't listen to HAL say,
"I can sing a song Dave, would you like to hear it?"
without half hoping that this is what he'll sing.

Posted by: BibwitHart (---.rivernet.com.au)
Date: November 23, 2007 12:09AM

That is an awesome piece of verse! I'd be happy to have written that

Posted by: SkidMarks (---.manc.cable.ntl.com)
Date: November 24, 2007 08:22AM

MartinB Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I thought a Goon was Spike Milligan, Peter Sellers
> or Harry Seacombe?

<grins>

Well caught, Martin, but don't forget Michael Bentine. He was also a Goon before they were famous!

Posted by: mr puniverse (---.meb2.vic.optusnet.com.au)
Date: November 24, 2007 03:00PM

hey guys
The Darwin stubby is the aussie beer. fosters is like making love in a canoe ffking close to water.

there is a street in Berwick Victoria called Ernst Wanke rd.

and i made up a word Confuslicated. when something is so hard and confusing its confuslicated. It is even in the pseudo dictionary online with my name on it cool huh

Aussie beer is pretty good but it's true no one drinks fosters in oz

theres a place in northern territory called humpty do and black butt.

There is a place in Michigan called Hell a Mr Snowball went to live there but was told he had no chance Not a snowball's chance in hell

I'll leave now shall i?

A Kit Kat is a Biscuit

Date: November 24, 2007 07:21PM

Wait.... Beer?

//debates trying some at some stage//

Nah. See little point in it.

Posted by: bunyip (---.as1.adl6.internode.on.net)
Date: November 25, 2007 01:39AM

Ah the Darwin stubbie: I bought one in Darwin to take back to Perth in 1979. In those days it was a six day trip in a semitrailer if all went to plan. We stopped at a friend of my brothers place about 40 minutes south of Darwin. Ten minutes later the stubbie was opened and 'got empty' all by itself coz none of us remembered drinking any significant amount.

Coopers used to make a product named 'Adelaide Bitter' in the early 1980s and it was the closest thing made in Oz to good European beers like Carlsberg, Holstien, Stella, etc, and far superior to Whitbreads or Watney's Red Barrel.

Shortly after I came back to Adelaide they stopped making it and there's no beer to equal it. So I usually dring ^**** Coopers Light in bottles - the cans seem flat and sour.

If you're trying Oz beers try Cascade and James Boag. We developed a liking for them when in Tassie a few years ago.

Also, there is a town named 'Sin' in the middle of Turkey - a lady friend sent me postcard from there many years ago. Also a town named 'Sinn' in Germany somewhere I seem to recall.

^**** 'dring' slurred attempt at 'drink' after quality control testing of random sample of containers purported to hold drinkable alcoholic substances.

<weak attempt to tie in comment with title of thread.>

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/25/2007 01:42AM by bunyip.

Posted by: BibwitHart (---.dyn.iinet.net.au)
Date: November 25, 2007 07:33AM

Beer in USA is pretty bad according to my oz imformants, much like chocolate.
I've grown up with the stuff, nothing like it on a 43 degree C day! Or for that matter anything above 18 C. Guinness is nice too, but not as a regular thing...

Didn't Cascade sell out just the other day? They say their not changing the recipes though. Boag has an odd aftertaste, but isn't bad.

Appreciate your attempt at tying in with thread title!

Posted by: OC Not (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: November 25, 2007 11:26AM

Martin, I know you climb up very high on things. Glad to know you will not be drinking any beer while doing so.

Send pictures back to base camp, we'll wave our bottles in the air in your general direction, and say things like, 'we know that guy!!'

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 7 of 10

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.