New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4567891011121314...LastNext
Current Page: 9 of 30
Re: Intros again?
Posted by: xmorpheus (193.95.170.---)
Date: January 10, 2007 04:57PM

oh did I mention I have pringles?

Posted by: SkidMarks (---.manc.cable.ntl.com)
Date: January 10, 2007 05:16PM

So, you must already have had chickenpox?

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

My computer beat me at chess, but I won at kickboxing

Posted by: xmorpheus (193.95.170.---)
Date: January 10, 2007 05:24PM

No - I'm a meat eater, but my leukocytes are staunchly vegetarian.

I had to settle for TofuPox which is kind of the same, but instead of getting itchy spots, you get an ecologically friendly rash which only itches if you wear leather.

Posted by: MartinB (---.cache.isnet.net)
Date: January 10, 2007 06:05PM

What was the first choice?

And could you edit, rather than making double posts? Ta.

- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

Posted by: nemades (---.dsl.in-addr.zen.co.uk)
Date: January 16, 2007 01:57AM

Sorry Skidmarks, I only just read you invitation to post in here and I thought I would take it up as I am half way through the horrible assignment and making a run for it, however I feel in need of a wee break (thanks for the pie, twas yummy!)

I live in Scotland in the middle of no-where next to some rather large Pylons, a forrest and my minagerie of animals. I have just graduated from a psychology undergrad at Stirling from where I applied to do the post graduate course in Primary teaching at Jordanhill just to appear to be doing something really and very shockingly got accpeted straight from my course. I am now stressed to the eye balls (very happy to have joined such a nice community here!) and this stupid maths assignment is about how i taught three kids place value - luckily no hard sums as I tend to loose concentration half way through and invariably come up with the answer cheese!?!

I started reading the Thursday Next books over a year ago when I 'amazoned' Jane Eyre and stumbled across the genius that is Mr Fforde and haven't looked back since. My main interests are horse riding (weather and course permitting), playing the clarinet in a couple of local wind bands, reading mostly fantasy and the odd bit of sci-fi, watching films and t.v., eating nice lunches and bebo! I have decided to include it as a hobby as I spend quite alot of time there!

I am almost certifiable, should have tipped over the edge by June, I talk too much, I also appear to type to much (would make an interesting study, do people who talk too much also invariably type too much?) and like to laugh!

I wil lappologise in advance for all of the awful spelling and really bad typing that has been and is still to come!

Posted by: MuseSusan (---.union.edu)
Date: January 16, 2007 02:44AM

Ooh, I shudder at the thought of teaching little kids--not that I don't like 'em, but because I'd be terrible as a teacher. College math is what I'd like to teach (well actually, in conjunction with mathematical research, but they tend to go together). It's just too hard when they're that young, so I'm impressed!

Actually, I'm curious as to how you did teach the kids about place values. I'm always interested in how one explains things that by now seem intuitive to someone who has never seen the concept before--how did you do it?

Posted by: SkidMarks (---.manc.cable.ntl.com)
Date: January 16, 2007 10:43AM

No need to apologize, nemades! As you will know by now this place is fairly chaotic and thread titles can be considered more as launch pads than guidelines.

It can also be fun to occasionally venture out into the main book-related Fforums and corrupt a few innocents.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

My computer beat me at chess, but I won at kickboxing

Posted by: nemades (---.cc.strath.ac.uk)
Date: January 16, 2007 11:02AM

Tee hee! latest up date, 3 hours of sleep later my maths assignment is handed in!!!!!!!!! Wooooo hoooooooo!

Posted by: MartinB (---.cache.isnet.net)
Date: January 16, 2007 06:43PM

I love small children, but I couldn't eat a whole one.

- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

Posted by: Zambezi_Bushbaby (196.44.177.---)
Date: January 16, 2007 06:48PM

Share a small child?

----------

"I've always believed that it would be up to the young people to save the Endangered Wildlife for the future." - George Adamson.

Date: January 16, 2007 09:54PM

Hey,

well I can tell you that some days I have around thirty quite large ones that you can eat! Sorry MuseSusan, I missed your post as I am in a state of sleep depravation! I started by assessing how well the children could read the numbers - my ultimat goal was for them to be able to round numbers but they had to do alot with place value first! Once we had written numbers in english and numbber I did a little bit on expanded notation and found a great website for them to practice on. I then got them to start testing each other on writing and reading numbers so they would watch for accuracy and reinforce their learning, Once we had done this I had them write numbers under the place value headings and we discussed that a number in multiplied by ten if it moves along a space, we then had to go over the role of zero as a place holder and used the place value arrows to demonstrate what was happening. It was all quite basic for them but they were having problems with the rounding so this is how we reinforced the place value.
I had to use lots of different media and resources and facilitate lots of oppertunities for other learning such as physical and audio with alot of ICT. All fun and games, lots of hoops to jump through on the course! I have soooo much respect for you workign at that level of maths! I got as far as credit standard grade and then it all got confusing!

Wambezi_Bushbaby and Martin B, what sauce would you like? and medium or rare? We also have the organic option!

Posted by: MuseSusan (---.union.edu)
Date: January 17, 2007 05:33PM

Ah, thanks for explaining. It takes so much creativity to teach at that age level.

And if you can spare a half a one, I'll take one well done, with barbecue.

Date: January 17, 2007 10:19PM

I heard from a couple of the children from my last placement and the class got into soooo much trouble last week as several of them switched seats and as the teachers are on a job share the second one didn't know where they were meant to be sitting and as she disapproved she swapped notes with the other teacher they realised there was an annomoly and so the whole class got their Golden Time taken away, I thought this was a bit unfair as the justification was the rest of the class should have said something but I know that I wouldn't have if one of my class mates had done that, but maybe I am too soft!
Then they got into trouble from the other teacher at the start of this week, so they were quite indignant! Ah children can be very amusing, they couldn't do that when I was on placement as I was in all week and knew where they all sat! They can be monkeys! So at any rate, the point being I am sure the teachers would give you your choice of the herd, 30 to choose from! BBQ sauce supplied!

Posted by: Mooxico (---.zianet.com)
Date: January 20, 2007 01:49AM

Are the organic ones free range?

Date: January 20, 2007 09:05AM

I don't like children... they can be cute to look at but the moment they start wailing I lose interest and decide to back away slowly! And no, am not intending to have kids... yet!

----------

"I've always believed that it would be up to the young people to save the Endangered Wildlife for the future." - George Adamson.

Posted by: Zuki-pah (---.nsw.bigpond.net.au)
Date: January 22, 2007 01:20AM

I never used to like children, but now I have two adorable nephews and they've changed my mind. I could never eat a child now.

'Who looks after the animals?'

Date: January 22, 2007 03:23PM

I spent Saturday around kids, none of them younger than about 4, however it made me damn certain I am not having kids! What with the whining and whinging etc I could never handle the rascles! Two plates got broken, parrots tails were being pulled, they found a bald patch on the cat! NO! I am NOT having kids!

----------

Posted by: Mooxico (---.zianet.com)
Date: January 22, 2007 04:07PM

Goodness!
<adds shot of whisky to ZB's mocha>

Date: January 22, 2007 10:26PM

Hey Mooxico, I enquired the children are about 70% organic (Jamie Oliver is trying his bestest) They are all free range (Scottish Exec is quite tough on this) Also they have a cross country competition - depending on levels of fitness for leaness. All are healthy and with good senses of humour, rare medium or well done? (shakes the bottle of BBQ sauce)

I am about to go on my first observation placement of nursery children, not very sure what to expect! Wish I had Pickwick for show and tell! Plonk!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/22/2007 10:27PM by nemades.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.upc-e.chello.nl)
Date: January 23, 2007 12:26PM

Fresh newbie here. :)

English is not my first language, so if you catch me mispeling don't worry, it's not a vyrus.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4567891011121314...LastNext
Current Page: 9 of 30

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.