New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1011121314151617181920...LastNext
Current Page: 15 of 30
Re: Intros again?
Posted by: DisturbinglyAvidFfordeWorshipper (---.kpunet.net)
Date: February 08, 2007 01:42AM

Chris, holy shit... I mean, 'Wow, you're a writer, fancy that'.

Vicious squirrel, barely restrained by leash.
    ****           __
  **    **        (__)
 *        *        /
 *  /\ /\ *       /
  *||||||\*      /
 / 0    0 |     /
 |   ()   |    /
 | |_||_| |___/
/__________/
  /______\  ||
        || (())
        ||__||
        |____|

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/2007 01:44AM by DisturbinglyAvidFfordeWorshipper.

Posted by: Bonzai Kitten (203.37.160.---)
Date: February 08, 2007 12:46PM

(mental note: suck up to Chris... he's famous and might be good for a tenner if I'm ever in the US)

Posted by: Chris (67.15.24.---)
Date: February 08, 2007 06:49PM

(Looking through wallet)

If you`d be so kind as to give me a couple days` warning, I`ll have to drop by the ATM.

Thanks very much, Nemades. I hope you enjoy it. (You will laugh. Oh yes. But that`s nothing as compared to the imminent one, inasmuch as one can assess his own writing objectively, which of course is hardly at all, making me wonder why I didn`t just spare you this unreasonably long parenthetical sentence.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/2007 06:51PM by Chris.

Posted by: nemades (---.dsl.in-addr.zen.co.uk)
Date: February 08, 2007 11:22PM

He he he, - you got me laughing already and I haven't even got the book yet! Has to be a good sign, I won't get it for a while though as amazon have to source it (I think they need to speak to the American warehouses nicely) so its going to take a while, in the mean time I have a book on formative assessment to read, Voice of the Gods to finish (already read the ending though as other wise I would have stayed up all night to finish it and wouldn't have been fit to drive!) and I just bought a book called Mordant's need as it looked interesting. I also bought six books for the nursery kids which are all brilliant! So i'm anticipating the arrival of your book!

Posted by: SkidMarks (---.manc.cable.ntl.com)
Date: February 09, 2007 08:16AM

Well Chris, from your description on Amazon, I will be asking mrs SkidMarks to see if she can order a copy through the bookshop where she works. (Joining this Fforum could prove to have been good business practice!)

I am sure that Mr. Fforde won't mind: we all read other stuff while waiting for his next one.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

My computer beat me at chess, but I won at kickboxing

Posted by: Chris (67.15.24.---)
Date: February 09, 2007 08:01PM

Well, thank you very much. SkidMarks and Nemades. I hope you enjoy it, at least until it gets to the incredibly cranky final third, which is meant to be a release for the reader in its severe criticism of society and the media, but which comes off (now, to me) as if I`ve sat on something sharp that`s usually reserved for fireplace maintenance. The new one`s much better. (I should just get a shirt that says that. Or perhaps sell them to all writers, not to mention musicians, and make enough that way to start my own publishing company.)

I look for other things to read between Fforde books as well, and having consumed all of my Douglas Adams, Richard Dawkins and Beatles-related books about twenty times over, I`ve recently bought a few Pratchett novels, as they looked interesting. I`m looking forward to cracking the earliest one I bought, which is called, for reasons I`m sure will quickly become clear, Mort.

Date: February 09, 2007 09:20PM

Mort is classy! Death is fab, I really really hope you enjoy it!!!!

Date: February 10, 2007 10:27AM

Yes, Mort is a good starting place. The first two books are very funny but a bit juvenile compared to his later stuff. As this will soon degenerate into us all telling you our favourite Pratchett book I will stop rabbiting on about them and leave room for the others.

We did manage to order your book, and so I should have a copy in about 3 weeks - the problems of transatlantic and POD I suppose. You must stop running it down, though. That's what we are for.....

Posted by: kaz (---.vic.bigpond.net.au)
Date: February 10, 2007 09:35PM

Just one question: Chris, why are all your apostrophes backwards? I'm sure that can't be comfortable.

Posted by: MartinB (155.232.128.---)
Date: February 11, 2007 07:10AM

Could probably do yourself an injury like that....

May I suggest that those looking for SF direct their browsers here, to Baen's Universe. You do have to pay, but I think it's fairly worth it.

- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

Posted by: Mooxico (---.zianet.com)
Date: February 11, 2007 08:45PM

Chris Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> >
> Anyway, I live in Albuquerque, NM, where I write
> and perform music and publish books. Blah, blah,
> blah; you've heard it before. More importantly, I
> enjoy coffee and cigarettes and I thank you very
> much ffor this delicious pie.
>
>

Chris,
YAY! Another New Mexican! Welcome! :::waves from Santa Fe:::
What kind of music? Where do you perform?
<offers good, strong coffee>
<about to order book on Amazon>

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/2007 08:59PM by Mooxico.

Date: February 11, 2007 08:52PM

nemades Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hey! Greetings, Howdy Doodles and all that jazz!
>
> >
> I LOVE the name Albuquerque! I once met a guy
> from New Mexico who was walkign the west highland
> way and he was amazed that I had heard of new
> Mexico - apparently this is not a common
> phenomenon!?!

Nem, it's just that most Americans don't know that New Mexico is part of the US.
I've been told that I look and sound almost American, and have been told that next time I'm back in the states, to be sure to come back and visit.

(For the record, I am pale, with reddish brown hair and brown eyes. My slight accent is more Texan, I guess, but it's pretty much Standard American.)

New Mexicans are generally shocked when people know where we're from.

Date: February 11, 2007 09:56PM

Ah,

I guess that would explain his surprise! You sound particularly Mexican looking I am impressed!
Ah well, I am slightly less guilty about my very poor knowledge of Geography, I spent 20 mins yesterday on the phone for a survey, I felt I ought to answer the questions as I always complain about the fact that they have all of the stats on the news that no one has ever asked me! I think the poor woman was a bit taken aback by my rather bi-polar answers, never mind! Anyway back to the point, one of the questions was yes/no to which countries were EU member states and how many countries were in it and I was stummped!!! Oops!

Date: February 11, 2007 09:56PM

Ah,

I guess that would explain his surprise! You sound particularly Mexican looking I am impressed!
Ah well, I am slightly less guilty about my very poor knowledge of Geography, I spent 20 mins yesterday on the phone for a survey, I felt I ought to answer the questions as I always complain about the fact that they have all of the stats on the news that no one has ever asked me! I think the poor woman was a bit taken aback by my rather bi-polar answers, never mind! Anyway back to the point, one of the questions was yes/no to which countries were EU member states and how many countries were in it and I was stummped!!! Oops!

Date: February 11, 2007 10:02PM

But you'll always be an honorary New Mexican. Just know that.
Unless you can't abide green chile. Then, you can be an honorary southeastern New Mexican. :->

Posted by: MuseSusan (---.union.edu)
Date: February 12, 2007 03:17AM

Mmm…green chile. (Actually, any kind of chile.)

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.dyn.iinet.net.au)
Date: February 12, 2007 04:00AM

I'm with Annie from Melbourne but eons older. I'm a bibliophile and appreciate Pratchett/FForde in a manner undignified in one so elderly."You're a freak mum", is a phrase i hear frequently. Fell down this well quite by a google accident. Good to be here. I mostly lurk around.

Date: February 12, 2007 05:12AM

Hi Annie!
I bet some pie and/or cake will be around soon.
Would you like some coffee or cocoa?

Date: February 12, 2007 01:19PM

Sorry I'm late - fresh batch of cyber pies here. sweet to the left savoury to the right. Must warn you that mrs. SkidMarks' cottage and shepherds pies are not really pies, but are delicious. A bit difficult to eat by the slice, but definitely delicious.

I gather that there is a new chocolate fountain over at the treehouse.

Posted by: Bonzai Kitten (---.dialup.dodo.com.au)
Date: February 12, 2007 02:31PM

Hi Annie!

Were you at Nullus Anxietas? May have seen you there!

So many fresh vict.. er, faces. Welcome all!

(Rubs little paws in glee)

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1011121314151617181920...LastNext
Current Page: 15 of 30

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.